MS Oosterdam - what a disapointment (dirty, worn out, noro virus)

Stefan_Cruise

I made 15 cruises on different cruise lines (MSC, Costa, RCL, Seabourn, Oceania, etc), but I have never seen a ship in such an awful condition. Disembarked two days ago in Seattle from the cruise on the HAL Oosterdam (Alaska - 16th to 23th of july 2017). Here are the pros and cons:

Pro:

- First time in Alaska was wonderfull

- Good food (sometimes in the Lido Market is was not very warm)

- friendly and fast service in the Bars and the Cafe

- Neptune Suite with a large veranda

- non-alcoholic-drinks not too expensive

- nice piano-players and a good band in the B.B.King-Venue

Cons:

- extrem worn out ship (take a look at the pictures)

- Lido Market extremly crowded - you have to stay in line nearly at every station

- 25 minutes waiting time for a burger is a joke (then it was cold)

- dirty cabin at embarkation (hairs everywhere, letter from the past cruiser in the safe, in the bathroom it smelt like urine, veranda was dirty too, we found cigarette ends on the veranda, and so on)

- even as a suite guest, you have to pay for every specialty restaurant visit

- AC in the cabin was a joke (either it blows warm oder cold and directly on the bed)

Here are a few photos of the condition of the ship

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhC_Kl3PLPX42AUIv0SoiW3d-wBz

I was really happy at disembarkation to leave the ship. I would not go back on the ship (even it is free) and would not recommend such a dump place. Maybe in Western Europe there is an other "unterstanding" about "cleaning" and "condition of a ship".

And best of all, we had a few people getting the Noro Virus! Maybe it is because of the missing cleanness!

best wishes

Your situation is both totally unacceptable, and unusual. We've sailed in Neptunes repeatedly, including on the Oo'dam a couple years ago, without your problems. That being said, you should write a letter to Orlando Ashford's office at HAL. I suggest you offer the same compliments with crew names if you have them, then drop the hammer. Don't exaggerate, but list your issues explaining the negative effect they had on your vacation, emphasizing you were in a Neptune and expected HAL's best. Obviously include the photos. You should demand a "substantial" adjustment, which they handle through future cruise credit.

We stay in luxury accommodations on land or sea, and expect service and upkeep accordingly. I don't wear HAL blinders, but get your adjustment and give HAL another try.

Yes, disappointing as the Oosterdam was in drydock just over a year ago. It appears that the photos are from common areas but hard to decipher where on the ship they were taken. I do recognize the elevator shots though. I would forward all of them and any others on to HAL Corporate.

Lines in the Lido are unfortunately a product of timing; and it sounds as if you should have addressed the cabin condition with your steward or concierge in the Neptune Lounge.

I made 15 cruises on different cruise lines (MSC, Costa, RCL, Seabourn, Oceania, etc), but I have never seen a ship in such an awful condition. Disembarked two days ago in Seattle from the cruise on the HAL Oosterdam (Alaska - 16th to 23th of july 2017). Here are the pros and cons:

Pro:

- First time in Alaska was wonderfull

- Good food (sometimes in the Lido Market is was not very warm)

- friendly and fast service in the Bars and the Cafe

- Neptune Suite with a large veranda

- non-alcoholic-drinks not too expensive

- nice piano-players and a good band in the B.B.King-Venue

Cons:

- extrem worn out ship (take a look at the pictures)

- Lido Market extremly crowded - you have to stay in line nearly at every station

- 25 minutes waiting time for a burger is a joke (then it was cold)

- dirty cabin at embarkation (hairs everywhere, letter from the past cruiser in the safe, in the bathroom it smelt like urine, veranda was dirty too, we found cigarette ends on the veranda, and so on)

- even as a suite guest, you have to pay for every specialty restaurant visit

- AC in the cabin was a joke (either it blows warm oder cold and directly on the bed)

Here are a few photos of the condition of the ship

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhC_Kl3PLPX42AUIv0SoiW3d-wBz

I was really happy at disembarkation to leave the ship. I would not go back on the ship (even it is free) and would not recommend such a dump place. Maybe in Western Europe there is an other "unterstanding" about "cleaning" and "condition of a ship".

And best of all, we had a few people getting the Noro Virus! Maybe it is because of the missing cleanness!

best wishes

I can certainly empathize with the OP and his recent experiences on board the Oosterdam. My wife and I have traveled on the Oosterdam on two previous occasions. To be brief, I could write a small novel entitled, "A Tale of Two Ships!" On one journey, we observed the ship to be in outstanding physical condition. On another journey, we observed non-functioning elevators, cracked glass in the Crowsnest, worn carpets in the public areas, dirty and poor-functioning toilets in the public restrooms, and worn-out furniture in the library area.

To be fair, I should mention that the above problems were observed a couple of weeks prior to scheduled maintenance to be done during a "dry-dock." As far as I know, the problems which we observed were corrected with the scheduled maintenance and renovation.

When traveling, I've learned that you experience "the roll of the dice." Sometimes you win. Sometimes you don't.

I was a big fan (though not a cheerleader) of HAL until a few years ago. I wrote to HAL about my not so pleasant dining room experience and received a credit to Pinnacle Grill which will go unused because there are many other choices for cruising.

I agree with blizzardboy that you should inform HAL and definitely include the photos, but don't ask for any "adjustments." Vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere. I learned a long time ago that it isn't a problem until it's a problem for management. When sales and profits fall it becomes a problem and only then will the problems be addressed.

I was a big fan (though not a cheerleader) of HAL until a few years ago. I wrote to HAL about my not so pleasant dining room experience and received a credit to Pinnacle Grill which will go unused because there are many other choices for cruising.

I agree with blizzardboy that you should inform HAL and definitely include the photos, but don't ask for any "adjustments." Vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere. I learned a long time ago that it isn't a problem until it's a problem for management. When sales and profits fall it becomes a problem and only then will the problems be addressed.

Your "one warrior" concept is great in principle, but as a drop in the HAL bucket, likely to be ineffective. I have had issues from time to time, but I've taken a very reasonable adjustment, an apology, and the next cruise turned out great. You have higher expectations as a suite customer, which HAL understands, and they have been responsive in their efforts to keep our business.

Maybe in Western Europe there is an other "unterstanding" about "cleaning" and "condition of a ship".

i agree on this - just got off from the Westerdam, we had a great time, but that say we had a lot of remarks about cleaning and overall condition, even as we all know he come out of dry dock renovation recently - not whole ship is renovated ofc, and still i make difference between used and dirty

I don't know why HAL cannot keep their urinals and toilets smelling fresh. Often (usually) half-way through a cruise the public mens' rooms have a urine smell. Once I checked by toilet on the Maasdam and discovered that the toilet was not cleaned under the rim -- ugh! Too much time spent on the beds and not enough on cleaning the cabins!

I travel on Princess often and don't have this complaint re the Princess fleet.

Wonder how gets away with this on CDC inspections.

We were on the Oosterdam's TA last November, and we, also, did not see the conditions described by OP. That is not to say that they didn't exist; just that we didn't see them. Our NS was in excellent condition, so perhaps we were just lucky. The pictures of the cigarette butts shows a deplorable condition.

We didn't care for the Oosterdam, but it had nothing to do with the physical condition of the ship. It was solely due to Ashford's current changes, lack of library; no music in oceans bar or Crows Nest; only one dance venue, etc., etc.

Thanks for the heads up. Surprised to see the conditions shown in the pix since the Oosterdam was in dry dock April 2016 for refurbishment of public deck areas. From pix looks like other areas still need refurbishment. Will report back after our cruise on the Oosterdam next week.

So sorry to hear about your cruise and the disappointments.

Your cabin sounds horrendous.

I've never had a cabin in that condition (and hope I never do) but, If it were my cabin, I would have been talking to the steward and concierge so fast your head would have spun.

If that got me nowhere I 'd be talking to the HD.

I'm pretty much easy going when it comes to cruising but that kind of filth in my cabin would not be tolerated.

As well, I would want the people fined who were the last occupants since there were cigarette butts on the balcony.

No cabin should be in that condition but a Neptune Suite with the costs incurred is really astounding (and not in the good way).

Wondering why you put up with that for a full week? Every room steward/asst. steward has a supervisor. On the Vista-class, they are called stateroom inspectors. When you find your cabin in that kind of unsatisfactory and nasty condition upon boarding, make a phone call (Neptune lounge concierge and/or Guest Services) and request that supervisor to pay you a visit in your cabin, see that crappy condition with their own eyes, and have it taken care of immediately with an apology to you and a very negative entry on that particular room steward's rating card

Edited by Copper10-8

Sorry I forgot telling you. I spoke with the housekeeping manager on the third day and I got a full cleaning and a new cabin steward. But it was not 100% right.

On the last!! day of our cruise, the first room steward apologized and told me I should not give negative comments on the online survey because he has three kids at home and don't want to lose his job.

I am concerned about OP's finding cigarette butts on the balcony; I'm only cruising on HAL due to their prohibition of smoking on the balcony; do people still commonly find sneak smokers aboard?

I am concerned about OP's finding cigarette butts on the balcony; I'm only cruising on HAL due to their prohibition of smoking on the balcony; do people still commonly find sneak smokers aboard?

I didn't on the Rotterdam. didn't see anyone/smoke/anything to indicate people were sneaking.

I'm still baffled how they are sneaking them. People can smell it, just need to report. And, without an ashtray where do they put the cigarettes? When smoking was permitted there were special ashtrays geared to eliminate many risks.

On the last!! day of our cruise, the first room steward apologized and told me I should not give negative comments on the online survey because he has three kids at home and don't want to lose his job.

And that's also unacceptable

Sorry for your unacceptable experience. I too would write a detailed letter and send off in the mail but personally would not mention the parting comment other than the apology from the previous room steward.

We had a room steward on a NCL cruise introduce himself stating he has 4 kids, so please provide me on your survey with 5 stars as he needs a raise. We replied that we would love to as we only get one vacation a year and are hoping for seamless / excellent service :) . Which it was and he received 5 stars.

Sorry for your unacceptable experience. I too would write a detailed letter and send off in the mail but personally would not mention the parting comment other than the apology from the previous room steward.

We had a room steward on a NCL cruise introduce himself stating he has 4 kids, so please provide me on your survey with 5 stars as he needs a raise. We replied that we would love to as we only get one vacation a year and are hoping for seamless / excellent service :) . Which it was and he received 5 stars.

I think I would ask to see pictures of his kids!

Unfortunately, yes. I spotted a SA occupant puffing away while we were docked in Stockholm last month.