Oosterdam or Eurodam for HAL Newbie ?

Tedferg

We are looking at 4 day Pacific coastal next spring, same itinerary out of San Diego, one day apart.

Oosterdam and Eurodam - any preferences ? We are six times Princess and once Celebrity.

Second question - will there be a Formal Night on 4 day cruise ? If so how formal ?

We are looking at 4 day Pacific coastal next spring, same itinerary out of San Diego, one day apart.

Oosterdam and Eurodam - any preferences ? We are six times Princess and once Celebrity.

Second question - will there be a Formal Night on 4 day cruise ? If so how formal ?

I've never been on the Eurodam but did sail the Oosterdam's Southbound repo last year, (1 more port day). We had what HAL calls a Gala night on the first sea day. It isn't really formal but at least a collared shirt is expected and most anything is possible as many people will be traveling light for such a short cruise. You won't be out of place in a tux or if you dress neatly and simply.

Roy

We have sailed both fairly recently. Both ships are very nice and you will enjoy either one. One advantage the Eurodam has is the Tamarind specialty restaurant and bar. It is delicious Asian "Fusion" food with impeccable service. It is our favorite HAL restaurant and would be a deciding factor for us. If you are "meh" about Asian food then flip a coin. The lay-out of both ships are pretty similar.

Eurodam is one of the two-ship Signature class a derivative using the same basic hull of the slightly older, four-ship Vista class, which includes Osterdam. As an earlier poster mentioned, Eurodam has one additional deck, capacity of 2,100 passengers (200 more than the Vistas) and was built in 2008, five years after Osterdam.

We have sailed both fairly recently. Both ships are very nice and you will enjoy either one. One advantage the Eurodam has is the Tamarind specialty restaurant and bar. It is delicious Asian "Fusion" food with impeccable service. It is our favorite HAL restaurant and would be a deciding factor for us. If you are "meh" about Asian food then flip a coin. The lay-out of both ships are pretty similar.

Given that OP said the price was the same, I too would go with Eurodam because I'm dying to try Tamarind, but agree with this post; if you're not into that kind of food then well I guess I'd go with whichever one had a specific cabin available in a location that I'd be happy with (we don't do guarantees but that's just our preference).

My opinion, but go for the Eurodam. I find the layout of the Oosterdam to be closed off and uninviting (and in fact all the Vista class vessels). The Eurodam has a similar layout but they have used the space better and it felt far more open and inviting. Also, I find the decor of the Eurodam much better. The only reason I would choose the Oosterdam over the Eurodam would be because the beds in the ocean-view cabins on Deck 1 are under the window on the Oosterdam and I find that arrangement makes the cabins FEEL so much bigger and as though there is more space.