How are the aft cabins on Oosterdam? Looking to book

SwimBikeRunNC

Do you mean the aft-facing cabins at the very back of the ship? Or the ones in the aft section of the ship (which may face port or starboard)?

I had an aft-facing cabin at the very back of the ship on deck 5. Advantage was it had a huge, very, very deep veranda. Like hosting a party-sized veranda. I think the verandas on deck 4 are also deep, but aren't fully covered like they are on deck 5. I seem to remember being able to look down and see people at the railing of the verandas on deck 4.

It's a very long walk from the front of the ship. So that's a disadvantage.

Finally, I'll say the cabins are a little bit narrower than other veranda cabins. I can't really describe it, but I remember there was something odd about the closets because of the cabin being narrower. And there was even less space to walk between the end of the bed and the wall.

My parents had an aft-facing cabin on the Zuiderdam (Oosterdam's sister ship) and their balcony was unusable due to the soot. It was mostly unusable due to the weather, but on the couple of days the weather was nice enough to be outside, the soot made it impossible to enjoy the balcony. They'll never have another aft balcony.

We have had the aft balcony the last three cruises with Hal two on westerdam one on zuiderdam and booked another on zuiderdam for March 2019. It’s just hubby and I and we love the aft balconies. Never had a problem with soot. There are YouTube videos of these cabins as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also don't recall any issue with soot. Again, on deck 5, the veranda is fully covered so that may have made a difference.

I see a lot of people posting how they love the aft-facing cabins, so I think the soot is an infrequent issue.

We have had aft balcony cabins on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam. We have also booked an aft cabin on the Eurodam for the 28 day March 9, 2019 Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas sailing. We always book deck 4 aft cabins because they are at the extreme back of the ship. Aft cabins on decks 5, 6, 7, & 8 all look down on the balconies below due to the tiered structure of the aft section. Deck 4 cabins have only the water and prop-wash to look down on, also all the marine life. When you lean on your balcony railing and look down, instead of looking at the tops of the heads of all the other decks, on deck 4, all you see is water. The MDR is below you and there is no noise from that. Deck 8 aft cabins have the aft Lido pool area above and there may be noise from sliding chairs. We never have had any problem with soot from the stacks. We occasionally would see a small chunk of soot on the balcony floor, but never a problem. The balconies are huge, and the cabins are definitely longer by a few feet. You usually get one lounge chair, a regular chair and a table. There is room for a 2nd lounge chair, and we have asked our cabin steward to get one for us. It was there the next day. The deck 4 aft cabins have minimal overhead coverage, so if you plan to spend a lot of time out there in hot climates, wear a hat and shirt.

I saw the OP's comment that they waited too long and the aft cabins were booked. That tells you something about the popularity of the aft cabins, they usually are the first to go, as there are only around 26 - 30 of them on Vista class ships. Keep checking the HAL website, especially close to final payment date. There are cancellations around that time, and you may snag one that was cancelled.

Edited by TAD2005