Universal Studio/Harry Potter land when docked in Florida? Worth it?

We aren't soo concerned with doing every ride but would like to do the harry Potter land. Is this doable with the time we have while docked in Florida? What tickets do you have to buy for the harry potter thing? Are they different than reg Universal tickets? I'm so confused.

Your Universal park ticket will allow you access to Harry Potter. Unfortunately, the entirety of the Harry Potter attractions spans both parks, so you would need to get the pass that allows you to both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios.

It takes at least an hour to get from the port to Universal Studios, so that's 2 hours minimum dedicated to travel time. While it is doable, the Harry Potter attractions are very popular and tend to have some of the longest lines at the park. There is a skip the line pass you can purchase on top of your park tickets that will allow you access to a shorter line.

In my opinion, it would be worthwhile to consider a separate Orlando trip and wait until then to experience it.

It can be done, but I would be worried about time constraints and frustrated about the crowds and the costs to just experience these few attractions.

Thank you!

No problem! I'm sure you won't want to miss out on being able to explore the area...get your own wand, try some Butterbeer, etc. They've done a great job with the theme-ing of that part of the park and it really makes the experience to be able to explore Diagon Alley and ride the train back and forth along with experiencing the rides.

I've done it. However, the question you asked was, "Was it worth it". To do this successfully, depends on when you are going. If you're going at any time that maybe considered high peak, then no, don't do it at all, Even with front of the line passes, you'd be fighting a horde of people during summer and holidays. A good rule of thumb, if kids are in school, you will be in a crowd.

To do the complete Harry potter experience, you need Two park tickets, 170/person. Front of the line passes 100/person (for both parks). To be as efficient as possible, you should rent your own vehicle and drive there, but if you take the cruise transfer, I believe that's 40/person. So, right now as it stands, you're looking at 310/person JUST for transfer and park entry. Food will probably be another 20 - 30/person. Depending on time in port, you COULD wring out 8 hours in the park. The parks usually open at 9:00. You might get some discount on some of this, but this price is the retail price.

If that's worth it to you, then go for it. The Harry Potter experience is amazing.

We also have done it on a day when the crowd attendance was very low. Bought transportation through the cruise line, spent about 7 hours in the parks, was able to go on about 7 rides, two rides we did twice and had tickets to both parks. Yes it is an expensive day, but a very enjoyable one and would do it again but this time would only purchase tickets to "ONE" park. We didn't think the Harry Potter train ride "Hogwarts Express" was worth the 1 hour wait at all and disappointed in that ride.

Since the crowd attendance was low, a few rides were closed due to maintenance and two of the rides were HP :(. You can find what rides are close for maintenance on their website.

We're thinking of going back to Universal or maybe Disney this time, again buying transportation through Royal as the crowd attendance would be low again on the day we arrive.

If you decide to go, download the Universal app and it will give the wait time for each ride along with other park info. which was very helpful for us.

Copy and paste the links below:

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/landing-page/mobile-app/index.html

https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/best-time-visit-universal-orlando/

My family are big fans of traveling to the Orlando area. Disney World and Universal Studios are destinations in themselves. I would feel bad steering a person that direction with only 8 hours to spend. You would be just scratching the surface of all there is to do at two large and fully operational theme parks (and the City Walk restaurant/shopping venue).

The prices for one day are designed to make you stop and think about a full vacation at another time. And believe me, it is worth it. We have stayed on Universal Orlando property for as many as 10 days to truly soak in the experience.

Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy it, too. So if you are never going to be that part of the world again, yes, do that excursion. If you have the funds to try it, you might just find that you have a taste and that will lead to a full vacation there at a later time. Have fun!!!

And if you are military (or know anyone who is) go to shadesofgreen.org and get discounted Universal and Disney tickets. It's so worth it!

You can also get a year pass for $300 and you may find that worthwhile if you think you will be back in the next 12 months.

LOVE Universal!

One last option - I know a guy that does VIP tours. NEVER a line on any ride at Disney or Universal. It's super expensive, but worth it if you only have 1 day. Let me know if you need his number...

Just to clear up a previous post, the reason you would need park-to-park tickets is not just to ride Hogwarts Express but because Hogsmeade/Hogwarts is in one park and Diagon Alley is in the other. If you only have 1 park tickets, you can only see one or the other. Yes, you need park-to-park tickets to ride the train because it takes you to the other park.

short answer: in MNSHO, no it is not worth it. you have a very limited amount of time , and the port is like an hour away. you would need a park to park ticket since the two Harry Potter lands are split between them. the ride lines are typically very long all year long and without a front of the line pass, you can be waiting 90 minutes or more for each of them. if you go whole hog and get an interactive wand.. well those stations get backed up with people waiting to flick and swish on a slow day. I can spend park open to close in just the two lands and riding the Hogwart's Express back and forth( which is a moral imperative)

Can I ask that question a bit more broadly? Is it worth the trek to the theme parks more broadly? We're going on the Anthem, which is 7-7, and in the off-season of late January.

as general rule most of us will say no its not worth it. a one day ticket is ridiculously expensive and between travel time and when you have to be back, there's no time to really enjoy any of the parks.

Edited by spookwife
can't spell apparently

And if you are military (or know anyone who is) go to shadesofgreen.org and get discounted Universal and Disney tickets. It's so worth it!

Not totally accurate, the military member has to be with you when you first validate the ticket. So they can't get the ticket and give it to you. They can go with you and you don't have to be in the military. But they have to be there and show their DOD ID when you first enter one of the parks.

We just went to Disneyland on a three day park hopper for $156 with our son who's in the Army and bought them (limit is six). The going rate was almost double that.

Several years ago he booked some MWR rate rooms at California Adventure for about a third of the rack rate $200 vs $600). Two months ago when we went the rate wasn't that good so we stayed at the Hilton a few blocks away.

But to answer the OP, I am thinking it's not worth it. While I really loved the entire Potter experience and it's really well done, it takes more time to enjoy the parks than a few hours. It would be outrageously expensive to just go to do the Potter ride, which I didn't think was great. Good, but not great. I did enjoy Diagon Ally, which was really amazing. I thought the Hogswort Express ride between the two parks was very cool. DISCLAIMER: never read a Potter book or watched a movie.

We were lucky enough to stay at one of the park hotels which gave us VIP (head of the line) tickets, so a lot of the rides we just walked on. The VIP didn't apply at Potter ride. But I think it does now.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Can I ask that question a bit more broadly? Is it worth the trek to the theme parks more broadly? We're going on the Anthem, which is 7-7, and in the off-season of late January.

IF you go on a WEEK DAY in late January, AND you get there when the park opens at 9 am, go STRAIGHT to the Harry Potter area, you should be OK with lines & getting back as long as you are on your way by 4:30 pm- allowing 2 hrs. for a 1 hour ride..ship probably wants all aboard by 6:30 if she leaves at 7...also, remember there are TWO HP parks..one in Islands of Adventure, and one in Universal Studios..have your tickets already bought...IF it is on a weekend, lines will be longer ( both Harry Potter attraction rides can be 2 hr waits or more when busy..)..fantastic places, both parks..Universal Studios one ( the newer one ) is a bit bigger and has the dragon fire breathing on top of Gringott's Bank...Spiderman a must in Islands OF A...new King Kong ride also cool in I.A....hope this helps...:cool::D

Big Al

In my opinion it's a "no".

With what they charge for tickets I'd want to maximize time at the park. Be there when it opens, stay till it closes.

Having to allow time for disembarking/ re-boarding, travelling to the park, (traffic?), and hustling through to get everything in.......... much rather do a theme park specific trip at a different date.

I know a lot of people throw out the "off peak" term, but for some of these parks that doesn't exist. I know, there'll be some posts now about "I went and didn't wait at all".............. if that's you, buy a lottery ticket quick...........

IF you go on a WEEK DAY in late January, AND you get there when the park opens at 9 am, go STRAIGHT to the Harry Potter area, you should be OK with lines & getting back as long as you are on your way by 4:30 pm- allowing 2 hrs. for a 1 hour ride..ship probably wants all aboard by 6:30 if she leaves at 7...also, remember there are TWO HP parks..one in Islands of Adventure, and one in Universal Studios..have your tickets already bought...IF it is on a weekend, lines will be longer ( both Harry Potter attraction rides can be 2 hr waits or more when busy..)..fantastic places, both parks..Universal Studios one ( the newer one ) is a bit bigger and has the dragon fire breathing on top of Gringott's Bank...Spiderman a must in Islands OF A...new King Kong ride also cool in I.A....hope this helps...:cool::D

Big Al

We were (or actually I was, my husband is humoring me) think more Disney than Universal. We've done the latter, but never the former--at least together--and he knows he owes me a WDW land vacation at a point TBD, probably after Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens. This is more for him to know what he's getting himself in for. I was originally thinking we'd do Epcot, as it's probably the thing he'd find the most tolerable, but I figure we'd probably get there by about 9:30 and have until 4:30-ish. So, about six hours when transportation around WDW is factored in. I'm a planner and I'd have tickets and FastPasses ready to go before we got there, but I don't know. Still turning it over in my head.

We split a week with Disney/Universal and a short Royal Caribbean cruise. Even with 3 days in Orlando I felt like we didn’t get the full experience.It was off season so the lines were only about 45 minutes. This was years ago before speed pass was popular and no Harry Potter. I would not want to spend all of that money and travel time for a one day experience. My kids preferred the cruise over Orlando so we never went back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we docked in PC, we rented a car and went to Blizzard Beach (Disney water park). We spent a good portion of the day there and enjoyed it. Not sure how warm it is in January though.

Blizzard beach had heated water. But it might be cold getting out and into dry clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not totally accurate, the military member has to be with you when you first validate the ticket. So they can't get the ticket and give it to you. They can go with you and you don't have to be in the military. But they have to be there and show their DOD ID when you first enter one of the parks.

Actually, there are 2 types of tickets. The least expensive one needs to have the military member present, but the other does not. It's still cheaper that buying at the park though.

I have done a day at Universal with RC transportation several times and had plenty of time to go on enough rides and experience enough of the park.

Everyone thinks about money differently, so the whole issue of “worth it” is very personal.

I had discounted admission because my son worked there (you would think that I would get in for free but nooooo - he saved THOSE for his FRIENDS ;), But I enjoyed each visit and think that you may too.