Why are the Celebrity NZ cruises more expensive?

debeni

I see the Celebrity Solstice 13-Day NZ cruise (with the beverage package) in January is ~$2000 USD more than the Norwegian Jewel 12-Day cruise (with the beverage package and 3-specialty restaurants) and ~$3000 more than the Princess Majestic 13-Day cruise (with NO beverage package). This is for 2 people in a Mini-Suite on NCL and Princess or the Veranda on Celebrity.

I see the Celebrity Solstice 13-Day visits 2 more ports and has one less day at sea than the Princess Majestic. The Celebrity Solstice 13-Day visits 1 more port but has the same at sea days as the Norwegian Jewel. Is the Celebrity cruise worth that much more?

Thanks,

Celebrity now has a bit of a premium reputation in Australia, and likes to brand Solstice as "5 star cruising" and "highest rated cruise ship in Australia".

Princess Majestic is way newer (and food better) and NCL is not as well known here. So no I don't see the Celebrity one as worth the premium in this case.

That’s not my usual experience.

Normally I look at Princess and Celebrity first and prices are very close, ie currently looking at cruises with Majestic and Solstice, $50 difference, one is Mid Ship one Mid Fore, one day difference in length.

NCL has been a bit more expensive (not much) for similar cruises, I assume due to only having been here for one season so far.

GUT2407,

We must be looking in different places. I am looking at each of the cruise lines online sites.

For the Celebrity Solstice 12-Day NZ cruise (with the beverage package + gratuities) starting Jan 31st. I see $8506 USD for a Veranda. I could not find a midship Veranda.

For the Princess Majestic 12-Day cruise (with NO beverage package and gratuities NOT included) starting Jan 25th. I see $3928 USD for a mini-suite midship. Their price does NOT include the beverage package which comes with the other two as an included option. I assume you pay as you go with Princess, however I cannot see paying that much more for drinks.

For the Norwegian Jewel 12-Day cruise (with the beverage package and 3-specialty restaurants + gratuities). I see $6249 USD for a mini-suite midship.

I am including Norwegian because we have taken a Caribbean and the Baltic Sea cruise with them and have been very satisfied.

The cruises are a little different, but I do not see why such a price difference.

Also the prices fluctuate.

When Princess released the Majestic initeraries I compared a Auckland to Sydney cruise price with the Celebrity cruise I currently have booked for March. The Majestic fare, without drinks package, was about $500pp higher than the Celebrity fare which includes the drinks package. I haven't checked the prices recently but I think the Majestic fares have dropped a bit since then.

But in general Celebrity cruises are very popular and Celebrity only has one ship in our region so their cruises book out fairly quickly and prices increase as cabin availability becomes scarce. Princess usually has three or four ships.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

GUT2407,

We must be looking in different places. I am looking at each of the cruise lines online sites.

For the Celebrity Solstice 12-Day NZ cruise (with the beverage package + gratuities) starting Jan 31st. I see $8506 USD for a Veranda. I could not find a midship Veranda.

For the Princess Majestic 12-Day cruise (with NO beverage package and gratuities NOT included) starting Jan 25th. I see $3928 USD for a mini-suite midship. Their price does NOT include the beverage package which comes with the other two as an included option. I assume you pay as you go with Princess, however I cannot see paying that much more for drinks.

For the Norwegian Jewel 12-Day cruise (with the beverage package and 3-specialty restaurants + gratuities). I see $6249 USD for a mini-suite midship.

I am including Norwegian because we have taken a Caribbean and the Baltic Sea cruise with them and have been very satisfied.

The cruises are a little different, but I do not see why such a price difference.

I suspect the Celebrity cruise might have more people already booked and thus the open cabins are in more demand. $708 a day for two people in a regular Balcony seems excessively high even with the two perks.

You might want to check 2020 prices to see if you get a better price comparison. $4800 for two with the Beverage Package.

Thank you all for your input.

I’ve noticed the prices will change from day to day. Each time I check, they are a little different.

I have opened an account with each online site to get the latest email deals.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions for the forum as we go along.:)

Thanks Again,

Dean

• 3 weeks later...
Have you considered a different date? We just booked the 10 day NZ cruise on Celebrity departing 12/13/18. At $1349 per person for a concierge balcony cabin with drink package, I think it's a steal.

Agreed. Excellent pricing right now for the 12/13/18 sailing for Verandas, Concierge, and Aqua Class staterooms.

Have you considered a different date? We just booked the 10 day NZ cruise on Celebrity departing 12/13/18. At $1349 per person for a concierge balcony cabin with drink package, I think it's a steal.

That is a good deal. Celebrity website currently shows $1640.76 for balcony only, which is a good reason to always look outside of Celebrity website. This is much cheaper than other cruises around this date, because it wouldn't be popular arriving back in Sydney on 23/12. Flights are more expensive in December, being school holidays and Christmas. We did a similiar cruise at this time of year, but pre booked our return flights at a cheap rate before we booked our cruise.