Fishing

1964IceCreamLady

I'll post here because although not yet 50, there may be a lot of folks like us? Soon to be empty nesters or parents of active teens who as a family love to fish??

I don't know why there isn't a separate sub-forum for fisherfolk. Cruising is the IDEAL way to explore and fish the world. Because, um, you are always on the water! We had our Alaska trip 80% devoted to fishing and our upcoming Caribbean cruise will again be 80% fishing.

It would be nice to have a sub forum for fishing tips.

I'll post here because although not yet 50, there may be a lot of folks like us? Soon to be empty nesters or parents of active teens who as a family love to fish??

I don't know why there isn't a separate sub-forum for fisherfolk. Cruising is the IDEAL way to explore and fish the world. Because, um, you are always on the water! We had our Alaska trip 80% devoted to fishing and our upcoming Caribbean cruise will again be 80% fishing.

What ports are you fishing in on your upcoming cruise? Any places that you would recommend to give it a try?

We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas, and Half Moon Cay.

Our plan is to fly fish Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay on our own. Try for bonefish! Deep sea charter in St. Thomas. In PR we are going to explore Old San Juan and enjoy Christmas Eve.

I would love anyone's recommendations, tips and tricks for these locations.

• 7 months later...
On 7/20/2018 at 8:12 AM, storm1507 said:

What ports are you fishing in on your upcoming cruise? Any places that you would recommend to give it a try?

My husband caught a really nice sailfish in Mexico and is going Halibut fishing this summer in Alaska

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Did you go fly fishing in Alaska? If so, which ports were best. I booked him a fishing expedition in Icy Strait, but I've just noticed one in Sitka as well and I was wondering which was better. He fly fishes all the time here and understands that both will be catch and release.

He's decided to stick with the Icy Straight expedition and I will let you know how it goes. I'm going whale watching while he does it. It's hard because it is the first time in Alaska for our cruise line so there are no reviews of the tours at all and no one to ask who they use as vendors. We booked a non-cruise ship hiking expedition for Ketchikan with Wild Wolf Tours because there are a lot of ships in port and I thought it would be nice to get away from the crowds. I also liked the sound of the tour. 

The fly fishing shore excursion in Sitka talked about collecting your rod, reel, waders and "bait called flies" which sounded odd to us. He plans to bring his own fishing flies anyway because he ties his own.

Sitka sounds like we'd enjoy just wandering around the town by ourselves and I think we are the only ship in port that day. I'll let you know what he thinks.