Best Ship out of Port Canaveral for 7+ cay cruise?

eisens

I'm turning 65 and have a 19 year old son who will probably go with me. . .

Years ago cruised Carnival Legend (15 years ago) and really enjoyed the ship (it was new). In 2014 went on a 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas. . . it was nice, but the ship was a little too small and not enough to really do. . .

Have been heavily leaning towards Oasis of the Seas (RC), but the more I watch videos the less it appeals to me. . . seems focused on kids, is way too big, not enough "sea" views (with the center park concept). . . and probably way too crowded.

I'd like something maybe a bit bigger and nicer than the two ships I've been on, with fun events like games, karaoke, lessons maybe, nice (quiet) pool areas like the adult ones on Enchantment. . . good food. . . with fun people who like to mingle (I'll mostly be alone since my 19 year old will find friends of his own)...

Am I wrong about Oasis? I want my son to have fun, too -- but he is "too old" for the teen clubs...

Thoughts? Should I consider going down to Fort Lauderdale for a ship (I live in Orlando)?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks much!

You don't say when you want to cruise, so we can't say for sure who will be sailing from there on 7 day cruises, Consider going to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Port Canaveral from the departure ports list. then select the time you want to cruise. It will show you who is sailing then, and their itineraries. Carnival Breeze might be a good option, and if you want one more day, Carnival Sunshine. Neither have an adult pool area. they do have a Serenity area for over 21, but no pool. EM

Most likely the Caribbean -- since that is where most of the ships from Port Canaveral sail. . .

Since I'm just about retired I could go any time -- but I have a son in college so am stuck with the more expensive times -- most likely Christmas?

I guess I'm asking about the cruise lines as much as the cruise ships -- I always thought RC would be my main cruise line, but now that I'm a bit older the idea of all those rock climbing walls, wave runners, slides, etc. is totally unappealing. I want to do fun things, but not wind up throwing my back out!

:cool:

19 yo old is a hard age to cruise as they have aged out of the kids programs and there is no place for them specifically to gather. Our boys are 14 and 20 and the last couple of years, the older has used his Christmas cruise (we go as soon as college let’s out) to recover from exams with a lot of sleep. Likewise, spring break is post mid-terms. So, in addition to resting, He spends more time with his brother and us as a result.

We have cruises on the Sunshine and the Magic (sister of the Breeze) and the boys actually prefer Sunshine as do we for all the additional food options and the great sports square. It also has a fantastic serenity deck.

I would encourage you to look for a cruise with lots of ports of call and few sea days because you will be busy ashore and there won’t be much down time on the ship. That way, if the 19 yo isn’t running into friends to hang out with, he won’t be bored.

For example, we had a great trip of the Fascination, though it is an old ship with no bells and whistles, because we had 5 ports of call, plus San Juan and only one sea day. It wasn’t as relaxing for us but we were ashore all day, showered, ate, watched a show or two and had some beverages and the crashed. As a result we didn’t miss all the bells and whistles but got to experience a lot of islands.

All in all, consider how outgoing the 19 yo is, how important making friends will be, how much time is going to be spent together and the select something that appeals. If the teen likes surf rider and walk wall and would make friends easily, Oasis might be the ship. If those things are not of interest then maybe a cruise that hits some exciting ports of call and spend a lot of family time both on and off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you'd still be able to enjoy the Oasis. The ship truly has something for everyone. I hate crowds. The only time I really felt the ship was too crowded was right when a show or event would end and everyone would sort of pour out into the hallways. Lingering for a bit cured that problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I cannot speak specifically to the Oasis, but I have sailed on her sister ship the Allure.  There is plenty to do on the Allure and I imagine on the Oasis as well.  As twodaywonder said, the Harmony is now in Port Canaveral- an Oasis class ship but newer with even more "bells and whistles."  I can't recall, but I think Harmony has taken the place of Oasis for the time being in PC.  Are there two Oasis class in PC now?

As you said (OP), there are bound to be more options sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and it is not a terribly prohibitive drive. Although PC is definitely right in your backyard so to speak. 

As far as "things to do" the Oasis class ship more than delivers on that score.   They are fun ships and really quite nice.  I found on our trip during Easter week in 2016, the ship felt less crowded than I expected.  I suppose it is because there is so much room.   Since you live in Orlando, you know how busy "the mouse" gets around spring break and Easter holidays.  I found Allure to feel much LESS crowded than that during the similar time period.  Yes, there will be lots of young families but everyone is so spread out I didn't find it bothersome.   Of mention though, we were traveling with my then 12 year old and 6 year old nieces and I was trying to be the cool aunt so I was looking for kid friendly.  (I don't have children of my own, and my husband is a pretty quiet guy and he found plenty of places to settle in and relax too). 

I found I did not really love the ship being so inward focused and not focused on the water views. To me, the water views are part of what make cruising so wonderful.   We had a boardwalk balcony fairly close to the far aft of the ship so we had pretty decent water views and could watch the Aqua Theater shows from our balcony with great views.   However, the majority of the ship was very centrally focused. It was like being in a shopping mall at sea. 

I know some people love the Oasis class ships.  It wasn't my "favorite" experience, but I would definitely consider cruising on one again if we took a family vacation.  It was not terribly unpleasant, but if I were picking the cruise, I might choose something different. I really like Freedom Class ships.  The Freedom is my favorite ship in Royal's line.  I had more fun on my cruise on the Freedom than on any ship I have experienced. 

The only particularly negative experience we had on Allure was mid week for My Time Dining.  The majority of the time we were seated in the lowest floor dining room (I want to say Deck 3 but can't recall).  We were moved upstairs because they were overbooked on one night.   The staff in the upstairs dining area were quite put out with the influx of diners from My Time. We seemed to be thrust upon them between the early and late dining times, and they were not pleasant. It was definitely taken out on the passengers. The wait staff was terribly unpleasant about it.  I have heard reports that the staff in the My Time dining room is usually "banished" there because they don't get good reviews. Based on my experience, the My Time staff was far more pleasant and accommodating.  Based on that experience, if I were moved out the My Time dining room, I might see if there was any way I could select an alternate venue even if specialty dining. I would likely just go the Windjammer that night and be casual. 

Just my experience with Oasis class at a time when lots of kids and teens aboard.  The only other odd thing, probably not particularly an ongoing concern with Oasis class, was that we had a huge number of teens on that ship and they were putting trash and cups in the elevators and near cameras so they would fall down and hit people in the head.  They were also trying to obscure camera views and were very promiscuous and blatant about their affection. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...