Helloooo Silverseas singles pricing is CRAZY

blackbird71

I believe it is capacity controlled. Some of them are as little as 110% and I think as a single the earlier you book the better rate you are going to get. Especially on cruises that sell out.

I am booked on the RSSC Mariner for the Amazon. So I thought I would check out Sliverseas. The single sup for most cabins on RSSC is 1.25%, BUT oh no Silversea wants singles to pay 200%.

Silverseas is out of their mind...... IMHO.

Not really. It is capacity controlled definitely. I bet the same one had a bigger discount earlier. A single friend who's traveling with us this fall got hers for 110%. But she booked about a year in advance. I see now the same itenary is quoting 200% single supplement. The deep discount we got is gone also. The ship must be nearly full. The earlier you book, the better discount you get, and keep checking the prices. If it goes down, they'll honor it anyway, just like RSSC.

Silversea is getting downright greedy about singles.

I had made an onboard reservation for a December 2006 cruise which runs every year (FLL-FLL).

Silversea called me today to say that the single supplement for all categories would be 200%. No more 10%, 25%, etc. supplements for popular cruises.

This is not a matter of capacity controlled supplements which get higher as departure approaches. This is 200% from the get-go -- for a cruise 22 months in the future. This, I think, is greed.

Observer,

Ouch--that does smart. My (free!) legal opinion is that they are bound to the pricing quoted you *IF* you already booked, and put even a small deposit down. Quite simply, it's a contract.

Regards,

Denyse

In fairness to Silversea, no pricing was quoted when I made the onboard booking for the December 2006 cruise. The cruise consultant did not know the itinerary or the fares. But we both assumed that an early bird would get either a 110% or 125% single supplement for Vista suite. I could afford the 100% supplement. But it's a matter of principle for me not to pay ~$1000/day for the passage of a single person in a Vista suite. I can have a very nice land based holiday at $1000/day!

It could be:

1. A misunderstanding -- they have not finalized the end of 2006 itineraries and don't really know what they will be charging, so to be on the safe side, quote you the 200%, or

2. You wanted a Christmas / New Year voyage, and those voyages are usually at a premium, with minimal discounts. On mass market lines such as HAL, it often costs you twice as much just because it is a holiday cruise, or

3. a combination of the above.

In fact, the term "capacity controlled" is often used interchangeably with "yield optimization" and unfortunately, it is to be expected in a market economy!

In fairness to Silversea, no pricing was quoted when I made the onboard booking for the December 2006 cruise. The cruise consultant did not know the itinerary or the fares. But we both assumed that an early bird would get either a 110% or 125% single supplement for Vista suite. I could afford the 100% supplement. But it's a matter of principle for me not to pay ~$1000/day for the passage of a single person in a Vista suite. I can have a very nice land based holiday at $1000/day!

Our TA's experience with Silversea's front office is quite positive. My suggestion would be to contact them, or have your TA do the same, and argue your case in a firm but non-threatening fashion, making reference to your past sailings and SS loyalty. It quite likely will result in your being given a more reasonalbe single supplement.

Worth a try, IMHO....

Denyse

There may be a far simpler answers to all this. I offer two.

SS's long term aim is to build a differentiated brand. It may prefer to have couples rather than singles. If they made the rates too attractive to singles and attracted large numbers then on a large boat this would create a subtly different feel. If SS are deserate for occupancy the differentiation will be less important than when they have or are confident at acceptable occupancy at full couple rates.

One other thing.

Singles complain understandably about their rates. But the reality is that it costs near enough the same to provide the product for a single as it does for a couple, the fixed overhead costs being the same per cabin for most overheads and the only difference being food and drink. A realistic price would probably be close to 175% of the single persons rate and probably anything less would be in reality a cross-subsidy.

It's understandable - but not really sensible - to expect to be "less profitable" simply because a single person wants to enjoy what is budgeted as a double room for their sole occupancy and for the company to take the profit hit if it doesn't want to.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

A 10% premium to book as a single is a great deal. I do agree that there might be some concern with too many singles, hence the higher premiums. I'd love to book the October transatlantic cruise, but not at 200%. And we all know that this voyage cannot be heavily booked. I did pay 175% last year for Alaska, but you know going in that this is heavily booked. It went to 200% after I booked.

Five SS cruises and four have been booked at 125% for veranda. No complaints.

A 10% premium to book as a single is a great deal. I do agree that there might be some concern with too many singles, hence the higher premiums. I'd love to book the October transatlantic cruise, but not at 200%. And we all know that this voyage cannot be heavily booked. I did pay 175% last year for Alaska, but you know going in that this is heavily booked. It went to 200% after I booked.

Five SS cruises and four have been booked at 125% for veranda. No complaints.

I (hiding under the bed) found out later there was a range of single sup based on cruise and time booked. I am looking at one with a 10%.

but once you post a thread...... :cool:

LOL as I was typing this my email checker pinged to life with a message from guess who :p with med specials.....

Silversea has a much more generous single supplement policy than does Seabourn, which is more restrictive.

We have booked our daughter twice on Seabourn's "run of the ship" fare. It was110% of the lowest catagory. On both occasions she got a great upgrade-- just across the hall from us-- at the lowest price. We did book these very early!

Archived