More Questions RSSC vs. Silversea

Seasick57

For those of you who have been on both Raddison and Silversea ships in the Caribbean, looking for some insight on the following (most interested in Whisper):

• Excursions -- how do they compare on value and physical requirements (somewhat limited for long/rough walking -- will I still have reasonable pick of excursions)?
  • Atmosphere -- how much more formal is Silversea than Raddison? Is same wardrobe appropriate on both?
  • Lounge areas -- my husband and I have enjoyed having the option of dancing both before and after dinner on Raddison -- is the same option available on Silversea?
  • Smoking areas -- are they well separated from non smoking areas? Is smoking prohibited from veranda areas?
  • I have a tendency to get motion sickness, does the smaller ship size have a big impact on ship motion?
  • Pool area -- if I wake up late on a sea day, will I have problems finding a place to sit by the pool?

Enough for now... Any info appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
[*]Lounge areas -- my husband and I have enjoyed having the option of dancing both before and after dinner on Raddison -- is the same option available on Silversea?
You should be able to dance before dinner some nights and after dinner every night. There's only one band, so if there is pre-dinner entertainment, they may be playing for that. You are welcome to dance to the pianist, but this is understandably less popular.

[*]Smoking areas -- are they well separated from non smoking areas? Is smoking prohibited from veranda areas?
These are small ships and in general there is no DMV between smoking and non-smoking areas so if you are on the edge of the smoking area in the bar, for example, you may get some smoke. We're non-smokers and have not been badly inconvenienced. Smoking on verandas is allowed.

[*]I have a tendency to get motion sickness, does the smaller ship size have a big impact on ship motion?
It does have some effect, but bigger factors are where and when you go -- the Baltic in Spring or Autumn will likely be rougher than the Western Mediterranean in high summer -- and where you are on the ship: the bow tends to give a more pronounced pitching motion, and the highest decks have a more pronounced rolling motion. One theory is that only the rolling motion causes seasickness, but YMMV.

[*]Pool area -- if I wake up late on a sea day, will I have problems finding a place to sit by the pool?
If you want to be right beside the pool, and the ship is full, it might be a problem. Otherwise, probably not.

Archived