Pier arrival time vs boarding time

Gursk

Hi all,

I was just reviewing my EDOCS and am a bit confused about the difference between arrival time and boarding time.

In my docs it says "THE TIME YOU HAVE SELECTED TO ARRIVE AT THE PIER" as 9:30-10:00.

Later in the same document it says boarding begins at 12:00, with departure at 4:00.

Does that mean we will have to hang around until 12 when they allow us on the ship?

I'm sure there is some variability for them to disembark the previous passengers and service the ship, however I am confused as to when we will be allowed onboard, 10 or 12?

Anyone out there that can fill me in on how this generally shakes out?

Edited by Gursk
English

I can't talk for what happens with the allocated arrival times, but around midday is the standard time for boarding starting. It's usually a bit before that, but not much.

9.30 is a very early time to arrive. Did you select that time. The only reason I can think of for getting there that early is if you really want a good chance of getting passes for Vibe (for whatever is relevant for the ship you're on).

Be prepared to wait around though.

Hi all,

I was just reviewing my EDOCS and am a bit confused about the difference between arrival time and boarding time.

In my docs it says "THE TIME YOU HAVE SELECTED TO ARRIVE AT THE PIER" as 9:30-10:00.

Later in the same document it says boarding begins at 12:00, with departure at 4:00.

Does that mean we will have to hang around until 12 when they allow us on the ship?

I'm sure there is some variability for them to disembark the previous passengers and service the ship, however I am confused as to when we will be allowed onboard, 10 or 12?

Anyone out there that can fill me in on how this generally shakes out?

Pier arrival time and your boarding time are two very different things. Your pier arrival allows for flow of human traffic from the drop-off/pick-up zone into the cruise terminal, through security, and into the terminal area for check-in and awaiting boarding time.

With a 9:30 - 10 am pier arrival, you are likely to have a period of time when you will stand in line waiting to get through security, check-in and time sitting or standing inside the terminal prior to Boarding being available. (Depending upon your status, ie: Suites and Haven Guests get Priority Embarkation, as do Physically Disabled).

Generally, Embarkation can begin as early as +/- 11am, to later than noon, if some circumstance or another prevents standard procedures.

You can expect to board the ship around noon, maybe a little earlier. NO you will not be boarding anywhere near that "arrival" time.

I shake my head at the "anxious" people, lined up- for hours to get on ships. I always see people, when I'm getting off the ship already there. Beyond me? (and clearly nothing I do :) )

The earlier you arrive the closer to the front of the queue with an early boarding number, if you are lucky and have been to the "right" desk!! Then again, if you are lucky, you will get somewhere nice to sit and wait. And wait. Then you will have to go through the formalities which don't really start till they are ready for boarding; that depends on them clearing the ship from the arriving passengers etc. If you are again lucky and all has gone well boarding will start about 11.30.

The arrival time you have "chosen" is to try to stop everyone arriving at the same time causing even more confusion than there normally is!!

We used to like to get there early to get a low boarding number and a seat to wait. Low numbers go first after suites and special guests. We have also noticed that the lines to check in are very long for those who arrive after 11 AM.

Now we travel in suites so we have a dedicated lounge and board first.

I normally arrive at the pier between 9-10a. They normally start letting people through security after 10a. Once all the previous passengers are off the ship, the public areas are cleaned, and most of the rooms are cleaned they will begin boarding. This usually happens around noon. I arrive so early so I'm one of the first to get on the ship. Also, if some problem surfaces there is enough time to fix it.

In my past 3 cruises I have arrived about a half an hour before all aboard time, nobody is in the terminal hall, no lines, no photogs with the ship backdrop blocking up the way into the ship. It is actually really nice! I get right to my stateroom, drop off everything and then up to a main deck to scope out the scenery before the muster drill. No stress, no lines, no waiting.

The earlier you arrive the closer to the front of the queue with an early boarding number, if you are lucky and have been to the "right" desk!! Then again, if you are lucky, you will get somewhere nice to sit and wait. And wait. Then you will have to go through the formalities which don't really start till they are ready for boarding; that depends on them clearing the ship from the arriving passengers etc. If you are again lucky and all has gone well boarding will start about 11.30.

The arrival time you have "chosen" is to try to stop everyone arriving at the same time causing even more confusion than there normally is!!

Casifilia, any tips as to which desk might be the "right" desk?!? Really want,to try for a low boarding number for a chance at Vibe passes.

In my past 3 cruises I have arrived about a half an hour before all aboard time, nobody is in the terminal hall, no lines, no photogs with the ship backdrop blocking up the way into the ship. It is actually really nice! I get right to my stateroom, drop off everything and then up to a main deck to scope out the scenery before the muster drill. No stress, no lines, no waiting.

What line allows you access to your stateroom before a designated time? On most ships, most passengers all have access at one announced time. Suites might be an exception.

What line allows you access to your stateroom before a designated time? On most ships, most passengers all have access at one announced time. Suites might be an exception.

Arriving at the port that late, the announcement has been made that the cabins are available, by the time they board. It's usually between 1:00 and 1:30 on most cruises we've been on.

When do you book an arrival time? We recently booked and never saw that questions. Thanks

I'm not sure, but picking an arrival time may be limited to the mega ships because of the amount of passengers they hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arriving at the port that late, the announcement has been made that the cabins are available, by the time they board. It's usually between 1:00 and 1:30 on most cruises we've been on.

What he said :D When one boards about half an hour before all aboard the staterooms are indeed ready.

When do you book an arrival time? We recently booked and never saw that questions. Thanks

The ability to choose a "check in time" is based on the port you are leaving from or the size of the ship you're travelling on (Dawn out Boston - No, Breakaway out NYC - Yes)

Carnival is actually enforcing the "staggered check in" at Gavelston, New Orleans and Miami and rolling it out to other ports so it won't be long before NCL uses it since they already have it in the system. It's not so much the cruise line doing this but the Port Authority (who handles all baggage and passenger management pre boarding) that decide if it's needed.

What happens if you're late for your boarding time? We originally selected 9:30am to try and secure vibe passes, but since we upgraded to a haven we no longer have the need for vibe passes or to arrive early. I'd ask my PCC but she hasn't returned any of my calls or emails, and when I finally got to the point where I called and asked for a supervisor to complain they told me I have to wait for someone to call me back next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happens if you're late for your boarding time? We originally selected 9:30am to try and secure vibe passes, but since we upgraded to a haven we no longer have the need for vibe passes or to arrive early. I'd ask my PCC but she hasn't returned any of my calls or emails, and when I finally got to the point where I called and asked for a supervisor to complain they told me I have to wait for someone to call me back next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're late for your boarding time, you fly to the next port....

I think you meant late for designated check-in time? 😁 if you arrive after your check-in time, you are allowed to check in upon arrival, don't have to wait until the end.