Tallinn - tours that go down hill?

Does anyone know of a walking tour of Tallinn that starts out at the top and walks down to Fat Margaret's Tower?

What about the HOHO bus that goes to the country side, does it have a stop near the Castle? Then we could walk down.

Has anyone done either of the HOHO buses?

Thanks in advance

We went with an SPB tour (since we were with SPB in St. Petersburg) that drove us uphill and we walked downhill . . . and they certainly weren't the only tour operator that had a similar itinerary as it was *very* crowded at all lookout points over the city and along the fairly narrow route between the upper and lower towns, especially with multiple ships in port. I was grateful that our tour guide was tall, making her easy to spot.

The tour guide did share interesting stories of life in Tallinn, including what it was like growing up under Russian rule . . . but if I were to do Tallinn again, especially on a crowded day, I think I'd tour on my own.

Yes, Alla Tours also offers the same type of tour wherein you start at the top and work your way downhill. I am in agreement with the previous poster - I would DIY in Tallinn to get the most enjoyment out of a day in port. I don't know of a specific DIY walking tour that begins at Toompea Castle and ends at Great Coastal Gate/Fat Margaret Tower.

Yes, Alla Tours also offers the same type of tour wherein you start at the top and work your way downhill. I am in agreement with the previous poster - I would DIY in Tallinn to get the most enjoyment out of a day in port. I don't know of a specific DIY walking tour that begins at Toompea Castle and ends at Great Coastal Gate/Fat Margaret Tower.

We went with an SPB tour (since we were with SPB in St. Petersburg) that drove us uphill and we walked downhill . . . and they certainly weren't the only tour operator that had a similar itinerary as it was *very* crowded at all lookout points over the city and along the fairly narrow route between the upper and lower towns, especially with multiple ships in port. I was grateful that our tour guide was tall, making her easy to spot.

The tour guide did share interesting stories of life in Tallinn, including what it was like growing up under Russian rule . . . but if I were to do Tallinn again, especially on a crowded day, I think I'd tour on my own.

Thank you both for your replies. I thought a guide would give us the history/explanation of what we are seeing. We don't go until next year so don't know how many ships will be in port.

Tallinn Traveller Tours offers a walking tour of Tallinn that covers Old Town & Kalamaja. I was able to put together a group thru my roll call & the cost is 9€pp for our tour this September. For that price it's worth it, and there will still be plenty of time to walk around on our own when the tour ends if we need to circle back to spend more time someplace :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If they still dock at the same place you can even walk from the port to the old town as we did. Just get a map and a do some research online. In my eyes in Tallinn it would be a waste of money to join a tour.

If they still dock at the same place you can even walk from the port to the old town as we did. Just get a map and a do some research online. In my eyes in Tallinn it would be a waste of money to join a tour.

I agree, we printed off Rick Steve's walking tour and used that,it took us to all the main attractions, it was really easy to follow and a very enjoyable day, don't waste your money on a guided tour.

We had a traditional drink in the medieval pub Olde Hansa in the main square which was lovely!