RTW on Insignia

Crocheter

Hi,

Husband and I are going on Insignia's RTW starting 1/3/2018. Would love any suggestions or advice on what to bring, what to avoid, or any other helpful information when traveling for 180 days. We were on Oceania's Marina to Tahiti a year ago and just loved it. Are we crazy to embark on such a long voyage? We've traveled a lot as divers as well as tourists but always no more than 1-2 weeks at a time. Husband is 76, I'm 75. Crocheter

Thank you, Cool Cruiser and Mura. I have looked through the posts to find comments on RTW cruises. Always eager to know folks experiences with such a long cruise.

My husband is retiring from work he really loved so it's a big adjustment and the cruise seemed a good segue as we transition into the rest of our lives.

Despite our already having traveled to many of the places the Insignia will dock, I don't think we've ever been so excited about a trip.

Loved the specific advice as to what to bring, Cool Cruiser. Never would have thought of a magnetic hook.

I do not want to see a 100 foot wave.

I am sure there is many tips in the RTW thread

Cynthia (CBB) seemed to have a list of things she took to organize her cabin

Something to be sure you have is trip insurance that will cover getting you back home in an emergency

Leave all this information with someone at home as well keep a list of important documents where to find things who to call in an envelope in the safe onboard

We do this on short cruises ..you never know when you will need the info

DH never remembers what I tell him so it is all written down for him ;)

Sounds like a great adventure

enjoy

My husband is retiring from work he really loved so it's a big adjustment and the cruise seemed a good segue as we transition into the rest of our lives.

Despite our already having traveled to many of the places the Insignia will dock, I don't think we've ever been so excited about a trip.

How exciting for you. He truly must have enjoyed his work that he is just now retiring mid 70's. This long cruise around the world, that's even fun to just write it, should indeed be great way to transition.

And welcome to CC. There is a Roll Call section where you can join in conversation with others on this same cruise. Great for sharing info, tours, chat. There are special things to consider on such a long time away and the Roll Call is a good place to learn how others handle things. Nice to get to know a little about fellow pax too before boarding.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes you crazy! But I wish we could do it. You'll have a great time, but I wouldn't worry about what to bring, if you need something you'll buy it port---other wise you don't need it. Have fun and enjoy yourself and let us now from time to time how your enjoying yourself.

Rick

actually there are things you do need to bring if you depend on them, including OTC meds. Wayne and I both did threads on the ATW16 with loads of advice.

Sorry didn't mean the things you really need like med's. And you need to bring extra for the trip and carry them in two different carry on's in case one get away from you. Also carry your RX numbers for refills should it be needed.

we had people who ran out of sunscreen and couldn't find any for many days....the rest of us helped them out.

allergy meds & eye drops were another, especially needed in some of the ports where there was a lot of burning of stuff like garbage, or brush, toothpaste (especially if you use the "sensitive" type)...things that you don't think of needing them until you run out....like vasoline, or bandaids, etc.

skin rash was another problem for some because of the high heat and humidity so good skin lotions a must for them.

most everybody was ok with prescription meds but for those with certain med insurance plans they had to seek waivers to get the 6+month supply since several of the plans only permitted 3 month supply to be filled.

Besides travel insurance, this trip is perfect candidate for medical evacuation insurance. You can google providers. Given the distance and some of the remote access ports, its a good idea to get you home for medical care, if you need it. We are of that age that medical issue possibilities are closer to probabilities.

Enjoy your cruisel We are two years from the same.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We insured with AAA because it was the only one I could find that would insure for a trip of that magnitude and cost. And yes, medical evac. is included. We're lucky because our son and granddaughter live with us so house and dog will be maintained and provided for while we're gone. Facetime would be such a plus, but based on our experience on Marina trip to French Polynesia, internet connection is rarely consistently available.

Besides travel insurance, this trip is perfect candidate for medical evacuation insurance. You can google providers. Given the distance and some of the remote access ports, its a good idea to get you home for medical care, if you need it. We are of that age that medical issue possibilities are closer to probabilities.

Enjoy your cruisel We are two years from the same.

I second the suggestion for Medical Evacuation insurance. Get that as part of travel insurance or separate policy. We also have medical transfer insurance We use Medjet Assist and have for many years -- just renewed this last week for yearly subscription. They will get you from A HOSPITAL TO A HOSPITAL that you want or need to go to. 150 miles from home so domestic and international . They do not get you to the hospital from where you are sick or injured -- that is medical evacuation insurance (terribly expensive procedure so don't cheap out on the amount -- get HUGE policy) but take you from the closest hospital to the one where you can get treatment {some countries do not have a facility that even equals our urgent care type places and you must go to city or another country for operation or advanced medical treatment ) or near your home/support team. Also frankly they take care of bringing you home for a final resting place.

So for travel especially international travel you probably need: TRIP INSURANCE : include cancellation/trip interuption/medical evacuation. Supplemental Medical Insurance: Medicare and some health insurance policies only cover you within the borders of USA. Some policies like Kaiser have facilities only in certain places -- know before you go what your insurance policy says and will help you with. MedJet Assist to get to treatment and then hospital to hospital. I usually buy my trip insurance from anybody other than cruiseline or airline. I have lately been using Allianz. If the travel provider goes broke or out of business -- you will be in line with all their other creditors for payment!. Just to let you know DH had a stomach infection on our last cruise. We were in India. He went to ship's Dr. and was well treated with IV antibiotics etc. His bill for 3 days of treatment was over $6000 and he never stayed in the hospital area just the cabin. Thankfully the bill was paid by our BC/BS FED plan. Same day one lady with kidney stone was taken by ambulance to Cochin hospital and one man taken to Cochin hospital with chest pains (and I don't know if just treatment or if admitted -- lady was treatment but had a wild story of ambulance ride anyway)/ You really do need to protect yourself financially and so that you have as many choices as possible if something goes wrong. I am more of a believer now after a taste of bad luck -- it does not take long to amass a huge bill on the other side of the world.

I forgot to add to MedJet Assist that the price for a family (2+) is yearly subscription and it is much more reasonable with the AARP discount. Google AARP and MedJet Assist both for information. Must ask for AARP discount -- not shown automatically. This insurance also good for kids on study abroad programs or mission trips.

Take some time to read through the the World Cruising board on Cruisecritic also. Many tips re: world cruising that apply despite what line you travel. Oceania does include things like laundry, visas, medical on board that other lines don't , however.

The 2018 voyage is going to a lot of ports where English is not common. You will not always easily find products you need. We did the similar route on the 2016 voyage. In some places the vast majority of retail outlets are small family run stores - no English spoken and no English on the products.

If you wear glasses, bring an extra pair as backup even if an older prescription. If you use an insulin pen its good to have a backup of one of those also - think about what you would be in trouble if it was lost/broke and have a backup. Also if you are into photography, make sure you download and backup regularly.

I did a daily live report from the 2016 voyage. If you want a copy let me know. Its long but has lots of info for each port and life on board waynesmithtor at yahoo dot ca

YAY.....i found the 2 threads! They are huge but don't be daunted!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2295322&highlight=rtw16

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2305998&highlight=waynetor

do a search within each thread for whatever you might be interested: info on ports, what we brought with us, etc. It is one of the truly great experiences of my life!!! Have fun planning.

Also don't forget to look at the "overland"/overnight excursions; many people did not know about them so missed signing up for Taj Mahal, safaris, Mt Kilimanjaro, Xian & Beijing, Angkor Wat, etc.

The 2018 voyage is going to a lot of ports where English is not common. You will not always easily find products you need. We did the similar route on the 2016 voyage. In some places the vast majority of retail outlets are small family run stores - no English spoken and no English on the products.

If you wear glasses, bring an extra pair as backup even if an older prescription. If you use an insulin pen its good to have a backup of one of those also - think about what you would be in trouble if it was lost/broke and have a backup. Also if you are into photography, make sure you download and backup regularly.

I did a daily live report from the 2016 voyage. If you want a copy let me know. Its long but has lots of info for each port and life on board waynesmithtor at yahoo dot ca[/quote

I would love to get a copy of your daily report.

I did a daily live report from the 2016 voyage. If you want a copy let me know. Its long but has lots of info for each port and life on board waynesmithtor at yahoo dot ca[/quote

I would love to get a copy of your daily report.

I think Waynetor is suggesting you email that address for the report.

Sorry didn't mean the things you really need like med's. And you need to bring extra for the trip and carry them in two different carry on's in case one get away from you. Also carry your RX numbers for refills should it be needed.

Such good advice. Thank you.

How long does it take to get the finished laundry back when all the passengers on the ship are getting free unlimited laundry on the RTW cruise?

I do not think the whole ship get free laundry just those on the RTW cruise & some of the longer segments

That said it is usually within 48 hrs at most sometimes we have had the items we sent out back within a day

I do not think the whole ship get free laundry just those on the RTW cruise & some of the longer segments

That said it is usually within 48 hrs at most sometimes we have had the items we sent out back within a day

Am I wrong to assume that the majority of the passengers will be doing the entire RTW? Within a week of bookings opening, most of the categories were waitlisted.