Is it us or is asking a persons weight New when booking flights? Delta -Jet Blue.

Tonsoffun44

Called an booked our flights for the cruise with Delta to Miami/ Jet Blue from FLL back to NY. A few days later BOTH contacted us to confirm the weight of the person who is disabled, not the chair. Found it very odd since the booking agent didn't ask anything even when we said an aisle chair is needed to get him on the plane.

He uses a manual folding chair (which we clearly tell them when booking) an we've never been asked anything more until now.

Called an booked our flights for the cruise with Delta to Miami/ Jet Blue from FLL back to NY. A few days later BOTH contacted us to confirm the weight of the person who is disabled, not the chair. Found it very odd since the booking agent didn't ask anything even when we said an aisle chair is needed to get him on the plane.

He uses a manual folding chair (which we clearly tell them when booking) an we've never been asked anything more until now.

When requesting an aisle chair transfer the airlines can ask the weight of the individual for the following reasons:

1. to make certain the aisle transfer chair weight capacity can safety accommodate the individual.
  2. if a transfer board/glide has to be used between the aisle chair and plane seat the airlines has to make certain the weight capacity can safely hold the passenger.
  3. if the individual is non-ambulatory and cannot assist in the transfer from the aisle chair to the seat on the plane, the airline has to make certain to arrange for the necessary ground crew to safely facilitate the transfer. Just as the airline is concerned regarding the safety of the passenger during the transfer, the airline also has to be concerned as to the safety of it's employees facilitating the transfer.

With reference to the booking agents for Delta and Jet Blue not requesting this information initially is not unusual. Anytime there is a request outside of standard wheelchair assistance to from the gate the booking gets transferred to a special needs dept. to handle all the pre-arrangements.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I understand they CAN ask but in 15+ YEARS = NEVER HAVE until now. Just flew the beginning of this past summer and the end of the summer on these same airlines an nobody questioned it.

Kudos to the individuals at Delta and Jet Blue who are actually doing their job right this time !

Flew Delta out of NY to FL last week an they didn't ask anything. I booked in Oct an flew alone so you'd think they'd ask more if flying alone when confirming you need assistance and in a wheelchair.

Didn't like the fact the booking lady from lord only knows what country couldn't understand what an aisle chair is - took 15minutes of explaining what that is then just transferred me over to a guy with a southern accent. I said "I need an aisle chair" his reply "ok no problem". Come on which word is so difficult to understand - aisle or chair.