Not disabled, assigned disabled cabin

bananavan

We have been booked on the 2018 Cunard Queen Elizabeth World cruise since June of 2016.

We chose a Club balcony for the dining choice. We were put in as a Guarantee as they supposedly did not have any rooms to assign.

This week I noticed that we had been given a stateroom. We have Cabin 8092, an accessible cabin.

Has anyone stayed in this and is it suitable for non disabled?

We will not need the large space but it appears that there is really nowhere to sit comfortably in the room. The balcony is huge as is the room but without furniture it appears to be sterile.

I cannot imagine that this room was not needed by anyone who will be taking this cruise.

Does anyone have any experience in this cabin.

Thanks in advance

In checking the pictures on cruisedeckplans.com, one set showed an arm chair, plus the chair at the vanity. Not a comfortable setup by any means. But you could bring in a chair from the balcony... I would go over to the Cunard board here and ask how accommodating the stewards might be. You were probably assigned this cabin because it was the only one available for the entire cruise. Or did they only assign it for one segment and you have to change? If you are doing the whole cruise, they want you to be as comfortable/satisfied as possible, and might be able to find another chair somewhere... Not sure if there would be space for a couch if they coud find one... EM

In checking the pictures on cruisedeckplans.com, one set showed an arm chair, plus the chair at the vanity. Not a comfortable setup by any means. But you could bring in a chair from the balcony... I would go over to the Cunard board here and ask how accommodating the stewards might be. You were probably assigned this cabin because it was the only one available for the entire cruise. Or did they only assign it for one segment and you have to change? If you are doing the whole cruise, they want you to be as comfortable/satisfied as possible, and might be able to find another chair somewhere... Not sure if there would be space for a couch if they coud find one... EM

I thank you for your input.

We called customer service and they took our concerns to the next level.

I asked if it were possible to make the room a little less stark.

That was passed on to the Onboard services.

Yesterday we contacted Onboard services by email (wanting some confirmation that they were aware) We expressed our concern and that despite the fact that we had already paid a considerable amount of money for the Club Balcony, if an upgrade were available we would be willing to pay for it. They were prompt and assured us that they knew about the issue in our case and that they would do whatever was needed to make the room more comfortable and also that we our reservation was marked with a complimentary upgrade should one become available.

I am stunned that this cabin is not needed by someone who really could benefit.

I have read posts elsewhere by people who booked an accessible and were placed in a regular cabin. That is extremely difficult to deal with if you are handicapped.

I would be very happy if they were able to move us for portions of the cruise.

The ship is sold out. It kind of upsets me that we booked extremely early on. I realize that this is a popular itinerary but it appears that they need to be a little more observant with the algorithms.

Again I sincerely thank you for your input.

Evana

We also once booked a guarantee stateroom and ended up in an accessible cabin. We have physical problems, bad back, knees and severe hearing loss but we don’t want accessible cabins. The closet had a low rod so all of our clothes hung with at least a foot on the floor. The shower was a roll in style so water went all over the bathroom floor when we showered. We quickly bought a voyage pass to the spa area so we could shower safely and also have a comfortable place to relax. In summary we learned our lesson and only book actual cabins, not guarantees. Unfortunately, guarantee are a gamble.

We also once booked a guarantee stateroom and ended up in an accessible cabin. We have physical problems, bad back, knees and severe hearing loss but we don’t want accessible cabins. The closet had a low rod so all of our clothes hung with at least a foot on the floor. The shower was a roll in style so water went all over the bathroom floor when we showered. We quickly bought a voyage pass to the spa area so we could shower safely and also have a comfortable place to relax. In summary we learned our lesson and only book actual cabins, not guarantees. Unfortunately, guarantee are a gamble.

Sadly, although we booked in June of 2016, there were supposedly no A1 Brittania Club available. We had no choice.

We have this cabin for 93 days.