Harmony: Have you stored his scooter in a regilar sized-balcony cabin on this ship?

For the record, I spoke to someone in customer service at RCCL today to see if I could find out the configuration of the cabin we have booked. The answer from the rep I spoke with was no, there wasn't. However, she proceeded to tell me they could move the beds to the other end of the room. (I knew there was no way w/the desk, etc. in the way.) That is when I asked her if she'd ever been inside of one of the RCCL cruise ship cabins, and she replied no, she hadn't. While she was nice and tried to be helpful, she really was not well versed enough to offer any reasonable reply. She wasn't even sure a booked guest could even would be allowed speak to anyone in the accessability dept., which I knew was possible because I had a couple of weeks ago. At any rate, while it isn't easy, the bed orientation CAN be determined but it takes a few days due to the fact that the answer must come from someone on the ship. So I should hear something in about 3 days, hopefully.

In addition, I was told the doors are 25 1/2" wide on the Harmony cabins, so that should work w/scooters.

For the record, I spoke to someone in customer service at RCCL today to see if I could find out the configuration of the cabin we have booked. The answer from the rep I spoke with was no, there wasn't. However, she proceeded to tell me they could move the beds to the other end of the room. (I knew there was no way w/the desk, etc. in the way.) That is when I asked her if she'd ever been inside of one of the RCCL cruise ship cabins, and she replied no, she hadn't. While she was nice and tried to be helpful, she really was not well versed enough to offer any reasonable reply. She wasn't even sure a booked guest could even would be allowed speak to anyone in the accessability dept., which I knew was possible because I had a couple of weeks ago. At any rate, while it isn't easy, the bed orientation CAN be determined but it takes a few days due to the fact that the answer must come from someone on the ship. So I should hear something in about 3 days, hopefully.

In addition, I was told the doors are 25 1/2" wide on the Harmony cabins, so that should work w/scooters.

You still need to account for a couple of inches of molding around the entry way.

I am sure that’s true, Geri. not sure if they are including that in the opening size or not but it was the accessible department, not customer service, that told me that. The scooter companies have indicated a standard scooter is 22 1/2 inches wide. There is a smaller one and there is also a large one for very large people. At 6 foot three my husband would fit into the standard size. Smaller one would be too short for someone with long legs like him. There are obviously people managing to get scooters into their rooms on ships with even smaller doorways. I spoke to a man who was actually on a scooter back in October while I was on the Crown Princess. Supposedly the entry doors on that ship are smaller than those on Royal Caribbean‘s Oasis class.

I’m very glad they were able to store the scooter for dphotomet. Seems only right if he had been advised by Royal Caribbean that his scooter would fit into his cabin.

I remember Princess telling me that the scooter provider They recommend was aware of their cabin door sizes and could advise people about what would and would not fit into the cabin. Somehow I am skeptical of that.

I was told I will receive an email this week with information about the configuration of our particular cabin. We shall see! Just in case, I sure would like to hear from someone who had a cabin with the beds nearer to the bathroom and cabin entry than to the balcony just to hear how they handled fitting a scooter into it.

• 1 year later...

I was searching for a different past post and ran across this old one that I started. Thought I'd follow up as we did the Harmony last year.  My dh had no problems fitting his rented, regular sized scooter down hallways or in our regular, outside cabin. Fit just fine through the door. As our cabin had the beds located more towards the window end of the cabin, we didn't have too much of an issue getting around the scooter when it was in the cabin. Could get to the bathroom, etc., without having to move it. Hallways on this ship are very wide as well. DH left his scooter parked outside our cabin just 2 or 3 times when he merely had to change clothes or something and didn't want to have to back into or out of the cabin doorway since he would be going right back out. The parked scooter would not have prevented anyone from getting through as the hallway was so wide. Can't  speak for the bow area (where ships sometimes curve inward) but for most of the ship this was true. We'll be on an Explorer class ship next time and the doors are also wide on that class, though hallways are likely narrower. 

On 11/30/2017 at 11:28 PM, mlbcruiser said:

Wondering how we will be able to function with a scooter stashed in our Central Park Balcony cabin? While my husband walks without a cane, his walking is still impaired. He wears out easily as well. ESP since one leg is doing all the work. If the ship starts hitting rough weather I could see him losing his balance easily. Therefore I just about have him talked into renting a scooter for this cruise since the harmony is such a large ship. I think it will help him with stamina and speed up getting to certain venues. I can foresee the steward carts being a problem When someone has to get around one but hopefully there won’t be that much of an issue with them blocking the halls. I hope the elevators and aggressive people who want to get in one aren’t! If someone in your party has done this, please share any tips and state how/where you kept the scooter when you were in the cabin or not using it. Also did you have any problems finding places to park it at venues such as dining rooms or show rooms? My husband will just walk into those venues.

Thanks for any helpful info!

There is not a lot of extra room in an any of these cabins and keeping a scooter inside will be tight.  We rented a medium level scooter for my MIL on Allure in a CP balcony cabin and it was doable with the bed by the balcony.  However, I cannot imagine trying to keep it in the cabin with the bed by the bathroom.  It takes up most of that hallway and you would always be climbing over the scooter trying to get to the bathroom.  One other thing we found, your key will work many scooters not just your own.  We left it at the entrance to the MDR one night and someone took my MIL's scooter and left a different one.  My suggestion is to plan on "decorating" your scooter with ribbons or something else so it can't be confused with another scooter and not to leave anything in the basket, that you don't want to lose.

One final thing, that is really weird.  I read this thread earlier in the morning before returning and writing this reply and when I open up my browser I am seeing advertisements for scooters.   I wonder how much data CC is selling to the outside world.

Ipeeinthepool,  so phones and computers are used in so many ways that any searches or any business to do on them is at risk of companies installing cookies. These companies intern often are connected with other companies and make trade and sell your information to them. Then beyond that there  things beyond the cookies – I don’t even know the name of them. Not so easy to get rid of unless their time limit expires. I am not well-versed in this area but yes to your question.  It happens to lots and lots of people. As they say, big brother, of one sort or another, is always watching! 

Add to the original post subject, since the cabin we had  Initially booked on the  Harmony  last year was not one with bed placement near the windows (RC’s accessible dept. contacted someone on the ship to find this out), we were given a choice of a couple of other cabins that had the right right furniture placement. I agree that one would definitely want a cabin with the beds at the opposite end,  away from the entry door and bathroom. I don’t think it would be a problem on the Allure either as long as the cabin had the right bed configuration. There are some scooters that are  considered extra wide for extra wide people. I don’t think those would likely fit through most cabin doors, even if a normal sized scooter would.