Voyager of the Seas vs Celebrity Solstice help

Its's our 40 year wedding anniversary next year both ships go to the South Pacific, help needed to decide which ship would be better, we have cruised with Princess, Royal Carribean, and P&O???:D

Its's our 40 year wedding anniversary next year both ships go to the South Pacific, help needed to decide which ship would be better, we have cruised with Princess, Royal Carribean, and P&O???:D

I would have to vote for Solstice.

A totally classy vessel...

Imagine having your anniversary dinner here:

ry%3D400

Cheers

I honestly think it depends more on what you want to get out of the cruise, they are very similar in most ways (likely as they are the same company). Everyone will give you their own opinion but having sailed both there isn't really a "better one" I would say, both have pros and cons.

If you just want a relaxing, do nothing, get pampered holiday then Celebrity, but if you want to live it up, have a great time and plenty to do then Royal would be the go.

If you want nightlife, entertainment and will get bored without entertaining yourself, avoid Celebrity! Otherwise they might be perfect for you.

We have sailed on Voyager of the Seas and the Celebrity Silhouette (Solistice Class). It all depends on what you want.

If you are looking for something more classy, then go for the Solistice class vessels. They are the classiest ships we have sailed on.

You can find my Voyager and Silhouette reviews on the cruise critic board.

Here are links to my blog:

Voyager of the Seas

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/p/voyager-of-seas-australian-cruise.html

Celebrity Silhouette

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/p/celebrity-silhouette-med-and-adriatic.html

As said above, the feel of each ship is different so it depends more what you want onboard.

Neither will be a bad choice of itself, but both have strengths and weaknesses so depends what your preferences are as to how well they match those preferences and suit you.

I did a 3 nighter on each of these ships back in January. As you are an older couple cruising with no kids, I would go Celebrity Solstice. She is an absolutely beautiful ship. Voyager didn't do a lot for me, but, if you were cruising as a family, then I would recommend her over Solstice. Much more to do especially for kids. Food was also better on Celebrity.

I did a 3 nighter on each of these ships back in January. As you are an older couple cruising with no kids, I would go Celebrity Solstice. She is an absolutely beautiful ship. Voyager didn't do a lot for me, but, if you were cruising as a family, then I would recommend her over Solstice. Much more to do especially for kids. Food was also better on Celebrity.

Good advice but a lot of things are so subjective, food, entertainment, decor. Maybe they should just flip a coin if they cannot decide.:p

My choice would be Solstice. I felt it seemed less crowded especially at meal time. Maybe because of the number of specialty restaurants aboard - some very nice for a special dinner (at a cost). There were also some very nice touches eg Captains address in the theatre with wine and chocs as you enter, icy cold hand towels and juice/water when waiting ashore for tenders, excellent cirque du soleil theatre show, glass blowing show, rooftop lawn etc. It is also newer and a little smaller. But Voyager will be refurbished with extra restaurants, attractions etc and if travelling with family and children would also be well worth consideration and probably more suited - Dreamworks parade and characters and ice show just great. There were only a small amount of children on Solstice and it was at Easter but the passengers were of all age groups, probably most fitting 45 - 65 age group when we cruised. Most importantly enjoy your cruise and anniversary on whichever ship you choose.

Edited by megsie

My wife and I have recently returned from an 8 day cruise on the Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Noumea, Isle of Pines and Lifou. We chose the Celebrity Solstice for this cruise. It was our first cruise and we could not have been happier. In fact, so happy that we are off again on the Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to New Zealand in November. Bon Voyage!:)

Oh dear, thank you for all your respones, think I am going to have to toss a coin, as we love going to the shows onboard the ship, live bands by the pool, entertainment is important to us, both cruises are doing the south pacific which we have done before, may come down to price:D

Oh dear, thank you for all your respones, think I am going to have to toss a coin, as we love going to the shows onboard the ship, live bands by the pool, entertainment is important to us, both cruises are doing the south pacific which we have done before, may come down to price:D

I think Solstice is the way to go using those criteria as it has both those and the ship is very roomy and stylish as well.:D

Royal Caribbean has more onboard entertainment and activities.

Moreso now that Celebrity has halved its activities staff and cut back entertainment staffing. But even before, there were more events around the pool deck on RCL e.g. Miss RCL, Belly flop competitions and so on.

Royal Caribbean has more onboard entertainment and activities.

Moreso now that Celebrity has halved its activities staff and cut back entertainment staffing. But even before, there were more events around the pool deck on RCL e.g. Miss RCL, Belly flop competitions and so on.

Was thinking this as I read "entertainment is important to us", Celebrity's entertainment is more the ship itself and the company you are with at a bar/lounge.

Hard to say what level of entertainment is important to you, but if it really does mean a big deal to you Celebrity may not be completely ideal, I found their entertainment lacking and very..very low key(they make up for it elsewhere though), luckily I had great company to keep me entertained! not to say it wouldn't be an amazing cruise regardless though, just something to consider! They never had bands by pool or deck entertainment and aside from the "main show" each night that's basically it, have to say the bartenders in the martini bar are great entertainment though, so talented :eek:

Think of Celebrity more like going to a nice resort than what you would traditionally assume of a cruise ship :)

Was thinking this as I read "entertainment is important to us", Celebrity's entertainment is more the ship itself and the company you are with at a bar/lounge.

Hard to say what level of entertainment is important to you, but if it really does mean a big deal to you Celebrity may not be completely ideal, I found their entertainment lacking and very..very low key(they make up for it elsewhere though), luckily I had great company to keep me entertained! not to say it wouldn't be an amazing cruise regardless though, just something to consider! They never had bands by pool or deck entertainment and aside from the "main show" each night that's basically it, have to say the bartenders in the martini bar are great entertainment though, so talented :eek:

Think of Celebrity more like going to a nice resort than what you would traditionally assume of a cruise ship :)

X has had a band by the pool every afternoon for a couple of sets on every cruise I have done with them. Perhaps they have stopped since Feb.:confused:

X has had a band by the pool every afternoon for a couple of sets on every cruise I have done with them. Perhaps they have stopped since Feb.:confused:

They did still have them on my cruise just off. But each of those performing bands work in different areas, so if you're not there at the right day/time, you wouldn't know. (They are in the schedule, if you want to plan for where to go.)

The only activity on our Solstice cruise on the pool deck this time was the crossing the equator event. Fine for a half hour, but made the other 17 days pretty quiet. Celebrity don't even run the buffets out there that they used to, and RCL do.

They did still have them on my cruise just off. But each of those performing bands work in different areas, so if you're not there at the right day/time, you wouldn't know. (They are in the schedule, if you want to plan for where to go.)

The only activity on our Solstice cruise on the pool deck this time was the crossing the equator event. Fine for a half hour, but made the other 17 days pretty quiet. Celebrity don't even run the buffets out there that they used to, and RCL do.

Something for me to look forward to when I get onto the VOTS.:D