Cruise suggestion for very active, fitness oriented, 60 year old widow

JeanneMarie1956

I am a recent widow, and ironically so is one of my best friends. We have started taking cruises together, so we aren't looking for solo cruising options since we share a cabin, but we are looking for a cruise/cruise line that caters more to older adults who are single.

We recently sailed on the Regal Princess for 7 days and while the whole experience was excellent (great food, ambiance, service, cabin, etc.), we felt that the clientele were just a bit older than we were. I'm not sure if this is just a Princess Cruise line dynamic, or if we chose the wrong time of year (early March). We enjoy a fun dance/bar scene and we enjoy fitness classes. The fitness classes were way below our level and consisted of about 3 people. I'm just saying that while we are 60 years old, we are far from sedentary or quiet. We don't play bingo and we don't want to dine with married couples. I think we were probably the only people on board who weren't married.

Please help me out. What cruise line would be best for us? What destination would be best for us? We are actively planning out next adventure and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for any help given!

I am a recent widow, and ironically so is one of my best friends. We have started taking cruises together, so we aren't looking for solo cruising options since we share a cabin, but we are looking for a cruise/cruise line that caters more to older adults who are single.

We recently sailed on the Regal Princess for 7 days and while the whole experience was excellent (great food, ambiance, service, cabin, etc.), we felt that the clientele were just a bit older than we were. I'm not sure if this is just a Princess Cruise line dynamic, or if we chose the wrong time of year (early March). We enjoy a fun dance/bar scene and we enjoy fitness classes. The fitness classes were way below our level and consisted of about 3 people. I'm just saying that while we are 60 years old, we are far from sedentary or quiet. We don't play bingo and we don't want to dine with married couples. I think we were probably the only people on board who weren't married.

Please help me out. What cruise line would be best for us? What destination would be best for us? We are actively planning out next adventure and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for any help given!

We are in our mid 60's and married but active. We have sailed Norwegian, Holland America, Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean. We have found Holland to have the oldest clientele. Our favorite lines are Royal Caribbean and Princess but we have found good groups on all of them. We loved the Panama because of the history. My husband loves pickleball and Princess had courts!!! We also did the Baltic in the summer and had lots of younger folks. Maybe it was the time of year too. So keep trying and if you have questions about any of these lines please ask. We have done 47 cruises so far :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't want to dine with married couples, you need to look into cruises specific for singles. For fitness classes of a high level, we found the German ship Europa 2 best. Lots of fitness classes, all way above my level. They do have an international hostess on board for English speakers. It's a luxury line with very high food and service standards and the price to go with it. Another option is a cruise line with dance hosts. They hire dance hosts because they have a high percentage of single women on board. I am not sure but Cunard and Crystal may be in that category.

• 2 weeks later...

If money is not a huge issue look into the silversea excursion cruises. I did their trip to Papua New Guinea which was amazing. Actually we began in Palau and stayed on to Australia. I love the cruise excursion itineraries- lots of activities and none of the big cruise stuff.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised your Princess cruise had such an old demographic - maybe the other pax just looked/acted older. My experience with Princess (albeit shorter cruises) has been its right in the middle age bracket. HAL as stated earlier is generally much older especially on long repositioning cruises though that may vary.

My take is that the less vigorous people of an age bracket are more inclined to cruise as it is more relaxing and less strenuous than say, independent travelling and... RVing (my wife and I, in our mid 50s, just did our 1st, a 5,450 km one across Canada a few weeks ago).

As an aside, the parents of one on our friends (parents are now early 80s), never thought they were in the cruise demographic a couple of years ago. She was starting to slow down significantly and they got on an Alaska cruise as guest speakers. They loved it and took a 4 week one the following year.

One line you may consider is Aida. The fleet of bikes they have on some of their ships would indicate the pax are more active.

I'll be on a Celebritiy trans-Pacific in a few months and wonder what the demographic of that is like (I'm a 55 y.o. who is probably fitter than most men 1-2 decades younger)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm 53 and hubby will be turning 60 next month. We are very active (hikers, canoeists, nordic and alpine skiers, snowshoers, etc) and will be taking our first cruise in 4 weeks (a 4 day Bahamas on RC). We are taking it because it's short notice cheap, lol. Anybody got suggestions for a cruise line that's not too pricey that has a modern music nightclub (I like conscious dancehall, house, and techno with a danceable beat, besides Latin rhythms and jazz & blues)? We don't want to get stuck in the nostalgia type of cruise where we get to hear only 50's to 80's music....

We're just not sure if cruising is our 'thing' since we regularly do some pretty major self directed adventure trips of 3 weeks to 5 weeks in foreign countries. Hubby doesn't work in the winter & that's my quieter work period when I can fit it into my schedule, too. That kind of limits our cruise destinations, I know.