Insignia docking in Los Angeles

Go-Bucks!

Oceania doesn't generally have a party on departure night, other than "Sail Away" which isn't really a party. The captain's party is usually the first sea day after departure ... I THINK! (We haven't gone to one in a while so I forget.)

The only time we left from L.A. was in 2004 and back then it was as Lyn has said.

You can look at the cruise description at oceaniacruises.com and look for any hotel packages. But most of us advise against using an "Oceania" hotel because it's twice the cost of what you could do on your own. I'd suggest doing a search for "San Pedro hotels" and see what comes up.

Oceania doesn't generally have a party on departure night, other than "Sail Away" which isn't really a party. The captain's party is usually the first sea day after departure ... I THINK! (We haven't gone to one in a while so I forget.)

The only time we left from L.A. was in 2004 and back then it was as Lyn has said.

You can look at the cruise description at oceaniacruises.com and look for any hotel packages. But most of us advise against using an "Oceania" hotel because it's twice the cost of what you could do on your own. I'd suggest doing a search for "San Pedro hotels" and see what comes up.

For the World Cruise, O includes a complimentary night in a hotel the night before the cruise starts. Was just asking if maybe they always put people up in the same hotel and if anyone knows which one. The party I was asking about would be the night before the cruise starts, probably at the hotel. Just asking because I've read that other cruiselines do this. I'm a newbie, so thought I'd ask those who've been on an O world cruise before.

If you are on a world cruise, that could well explain the difference. Lyn and I were referring to "ordinary" cruises that don't last half a year!

When we did a Cunard cruise from Southampton to NYC in 2004 (courtesy of Grand Circle), Grand Circle did put people up in a hotel beforehand and we did have a pre-departure party.

I've just never had any such events on Oceania, but the most we've ever done on an Oceania cruise was 24 days.

Then again, if you are on a world cruise and a hotel stay is provided, you should have been so informed ...

So I remain confused about your question ...

Maybe some of the "Worldies" can comment on the pre cruise hotel party

The 2 previous World cruises left from Miami so they may not have a clue on LA hotels

Your cruise is over a year away so Oceania may not have a hotel locked in

Maybe call them or ask your TA to find out

JMO

Do they not pick up up at the airport & take you to the hotel & then to the ship?

Greetings from South Beach, Go-Bucks! Oceania departs from San Pedro. It is around 24 miles from LA, and in 2015 was most undistinguished. As far as we could tell, there were no services for tourists. We sailed on Insignia's trans Panama Canal from there. Oceania's hotel for that cruise was Century City Intercontinental. We are members of IGH, so we made our own booking. The users of Oceania's package that we met were in standard rooms, with included breakfast. Oceania's hostess was very nice to us even though we were not part of the group.

Mary

ATW16 we were at the Epic Hotel pre-cruise.

We had a cocktail party the night before we boarded where many of us met each other even though we had been conversing with each other on another website.

ATW16 we were at the Epic Hotel pre-cruise.

We had a cocktail party the night before we boarded where many of us met each other even though we had been conversing with each other on another website.

This sounds like, as per the OP's question, the cruise line did not put on a party at the pre-cruise hotel; yours was a private party. Nice to get together the night before with those you have been chatting on-line with as well.

As mentioned Ocenia did not do a group party the night before - they did do a group breakfast the morning of the cruise at the hotel but no one from Oceania did any welcome speech.

Although other lines have done parties the night before, for 2019 it is even less likely for Oceania as passengers have the option of doing the world cruise starting at different ports so by the time some worldies join in LA, others will already be over 2 weeks into their version of the cruise.

Nice to have the breakfast get together even just to meet fellow travelers before a more formal meet. Odd no welcome speech.

I see your point about selling long segments and some joining later so a pre cruise function is maybe not on the schedule.

It must have been a lot of fun at your pre-cruise party, cbb. I can imagine the excitement the night before boarding for such a great experience and meeting up with those you will be sharing the days.

most of us were euphoric the night before our sail away.

Some had battled medical situations and were just thrilled to be there so it was doubly sweet for them.

Many of us shared how blessed, or lucky, we were to be doing this. Well over half of us have stayed in touch with each other through social media....some of us almost every day.

We've mourned and rejoiced with each other; I only hope that the other ATW cruises are as wonderful as ours was.

Your cruise is over a year away so Oceania may not have a hotel locked in. Maybe call them or ask your TA to find out

Do they not pick up up at the airport & take you to the hotel & then to the ship?

I was just curious if any of the previous RTW cruisers knew what hotel they used, but I didn't realize that O hasn't left Los Angleles before on world cruises. Obviously this is new for them. I don't need to call O about it - just curious. ;)

Yes, O is providing complimentary transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to ship. Again, just asking since there are quite a few previous RTW cruisers who post here.

Having lived most of my life in Southern California, I can say that San Pedro is not one of the areas that anyone would want to stay or visit. My guess is that Oceania passengers will be put up in a hotel in Long Beach which isn't too far from San Pedro and is quite a bit better (but not as good as cities a few miles further from the port). It will be interesting to learn what hotel Oceania uses.