WiFi on Allure of the Seas

I don't know the bandwidth, but we were able to stream Netflix and other shows perfectly. Also, texting pictures & videos were quick. If you're going to hook up your device to the tv, you'll need an HDMI cord and a Samsung remote or universal one to change the input. It worked great!

I don't know the bandwidth, but we were able to stream Netflix and other shows perfectly. Also, texting pictures & videos were quick. If you're going to hook up your device to the tv, you'll need an HDMI cord and a Samsung remote or universal one to change the input. It worked great!

What do you mean by hooking up to the TV? My tablet to the TV? Is it a Tablet connection (microSD cable with a HDMI connection at one end)? Universal remote to change the input?

I always stream from my iPad or iPhone to the TV via HDMI cable with an Apple adapter and use my Samsung remote to change the ship HDMI connection to my HDMI connection. Are you planning to view Netflix from your device and not from the TV...if so, you won't have any problems? Our TV streaming was crystal clear.

I always stream from my iPad or iPhone to the TV via HDMI cable with an Apple adapter and use my Samsung remote to change the ship HDMI connection to my HDMI connection. Are you planning to view Netflix from your device and not from the TV...if so, you won't have any problems? Our TV streaming was crystal clear.

Since you mentioned it, yes, I would like to stream from the tablet to the TV in the room. I will go to my friendly neighborhood electronics store for a cable. Thanks for the information.

I know they make HDMI cables with micro HDMI on the other end. If your device doesn't have an HDMI port like an Apple product, you'll need an Apple universal adapter. Also a universal remote with an "INPUT" button and the codes for Samsung TV's. Practice at home on your TV with your current TV remote so you'll feel comfortable on the ship.

Edited by shirazcruiser

I know they make HDMI cables with micro HDMI on the other end. If your device doesn't have an HDMI port like an Apple product, you'll need an Apple universal adapter. Also a universal remote with an "INPUT" button and the codes for Samsung TV's. Practice at home on your TV with your current TV remote so you'll feel comfortable on the ship.

Wow, getting complicated.

Very curious on this I just purchased the Voom surf and stream for two devices for my cruise on Allure this Sunday. I have an iPad and would love to be able to to stream to my tv in my cabin what exactly will I need? Do I need to bring my own remove ? Thank you for clarifying .

Very curious on this I just purchased the Voom surf and stream for two devices for my cruise on Allure this Sunday. I have an iPad and would love to be able to to stream to my tv in my cabin what exactly will I need? Do I need to bring my own remote ? Thank you for clarifying .

Search on youtube. There are videos out there that explain very well how to do this.

I was anything between 6-8 mbps. Latency was good (considering it was satellite-based) and I could even use Wifi calling with no issues. Long story short, I couldn't find a anything that wouldn't work (not saying that everything works, just everything that *I* tried worked).

I was anything between 6-8 mbps. Latency was good (considering it was satellite-based) and I could even use Wifi calling with no issues. Long story short, I couldn't find a anything that wouldn't work (not saying that everything works, just everything that *I* tried worked).

glad to hear that WiFi calling worked I am planning to do that also. Were the calls clear?

Thank you

glad to hear that WiFi calling worked I am planning to do that also. Were the calls clear?

Thank you

We use Facebook Messenger. Calls were clear and video chats worked perfectly, too. The kids streamed Netflix perfectly on their tablets. Royal's VOOM products is really outstanding and the best out there.

We use Facebook Messenger. Calls were clear and video chats worked perfectly, too. The kids streamed Netflix perfectly on their tablets. Royal's VOOM products is really outstanding and the best out there.

That is so good to hear I am sure I will be satisfied. I am planning to use the Wi-Fi calling Feature on my phone which allows for phone calls once connected to wifi. I have Verizon and they actually walked me through the process with me turning off the data and roaming on my phone and just using wi-fi. the true test will be when I am on the high seas to see if it really works :p

That is so good to hear I am sure I will be satisfied. I am planning to use the Wi-Fi calling Feature on my phone which allows for phone calls once connected to wifi. I have Verizon and they actually walked me through the process with me turning off the data and roaming on my phone and just using wi-fi. the true test will be when I am on the high seas to see if it really works :p

I have WiFi calling on my phone too but I recently discovered that whatsapp also allows for WiFi calling as well as video calls. I tried it out at home by putting my and my DW's phone on airplane mode and turning on the WiFi. It worked! Of course I have VERY high speed internet at home and the RCCL VOOM may be slower. I will wait and see.

I have WiFi calling on my phone too but I recently discovered that whatsapp also allows for WiFi calling as well as video calls. I tried it out at home by putting my and my DW's phone on airplane mode and turning on the WiFi. It worked! Of course I have VERY high speed internet at home and the RCCL VOOM may be slower. I will wait and see.

Technology is fantastic especially when it works !! we shall see the real test when we are on the ship !

Thank you

Yes, they were crystal clear about 95%+ of the time. We used the Wifi calling feature from our carrier (i.e. Movistar from Peru), but not Whatsapp calling (used Whatsapp for text only, didn't try calling), so I cannot talk about it.

Edited by sergioag
Clarified Whatsapp usage

Very curious on this I just purchased the Voom surf and stream for two devices for my cruise on Allure this Sunday. I have an iPad and would love to be able to to stream to my tv in my cabin what exactly will I need? Do I need to bring my own remove ? Thank you for clarifying .

You need an HDMI cable, Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter ($49-one end has a lightning connector and the other an HDMI port), and a Samsung remote or a universal remote with an "INPUT" button that has Samsung TV codes since the TV's are Samsung. I have a Samsung remote, but you can get a cheap RCA remote from Target "RCA 2 Device Large Button Remote Control - Black (RCRH02BR)" for $4.99.

I used this on Allure and Anthem with absolutely no problems. Plug the lightning end of the adapter into the iPad and HDMI into the other end of the adapter. Plug the HDMI into a port on the TV. Then change the input on the TV to your HDMI TV port with the input button on the remote. Your iPad home page will appear on the TV once you've changed to the correct HDMI port. All but one GS cabin TV required me to change the input and one automatically changed to my iPad. I practiced on a TV at home prior to sailing with the remote of my current TV. Plus, it's fun viewing your iPad videos and photos on the big screen TV instead of the iPad or iPhone. Also, you can do the same hookup with the iPhone.

Edited by shirazcruiser

You need an HDMI cable, Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter ($49-one end has a lightning connector and the other an HDMI port), and a Samsung remote or a universal remote with an "INPUT" button that has Samsung TV codes since the TV's are Samsung. I have a Samsung remote, but you can get a cheap RCA remote from Target "RCA 2 Device Large Button Remote Control - Black (RCRH02BR)" for $4.99.

I used this on Allure and Anthem with absolutely no problems. Plug the lightning end of the adapter into the iPad and HDMI into the other end of the adapter. Plug the HDMI into a port on the TV. Then change the input on the TV to your HDMI TV port with the input button on the remote. Your iPad home page will appear on the TV once you've changed to the correct HDMI port. All but one GS cabin TV required me to change the input and one automatically changed to my iPad. I practiced on a TV at home prior to sailing with the remote of your current TV. Plus, it's fun viewing your iPad videos and photos on the big screen TV instead of the iPad or iPhone. Also, you can do the same hookup with the iPhone.

Awesome I’ll try this out !!