day in port: Palma (Drach Caves & Soller Train)

We are on Explorer when it is docked in Palma between the hours of 06:30 & 22:00 midway through the 14 day cruise.

We are looking at visiting Drach Caves and hopefully taking a trip on the Soller Train during our time on Mallorca if possible.

How feasible is it to do both these in one day ? and which way round would you advise, if it is possible.

Cheers

I have done an organised ship's excursion from Palma to Soller on the train and it was a pretty long half-day tour. The train journey itself is an hour each way. The Caves of Drach are right on the other side of the Island (Soller is on the West coast and Drach the East). As you have a long day there, it probably is possible but I am not sure how you would organise it. If you do the Soller Train independently, you need to get from the ship to the rail station on the northern side of Palma City Centre. Soller is a nice little place to browse, shop and eat in.

Should you decide not to go to the Caves, you can always get the old Tram down from Soller to Port de Soller. See http://trendesoller.com/en/home/ for details.

Whatever you do, have a great day.

I have done an organised ship's excursion from Palma to Soller on the train and it was a pretty long half-day tour. The train journey itself is an hour each way. The Caves of Drach are right on the other side of the Island (Soller is on the West coast and Drach the East). As you have a long day there, it probably is possible but I am not sure how you would organise it. If you do the Soller Train independently, you need to get from the ship to the rail station on the northern side of Palma City Centre. Soller is a nice little place to browse, shop and eat in.

Should you decide not to go to the Caves, you can always get the old Tram down from Soller to Port de Soller. See http://trendesoller.com/en/home/ for details.

Whatever you do, have a great day.

Thanks very much for that Andrew. Soller has the No1 spot, so we will be doing that no matter what. Would just be nice if we could include the caves ..... decisions decisions !!!

We are on Explorer when it is docked in Palma between the hours of 06:30 & 22:00 midway through the 14 day cruise.

We are looking at visiting Drach Caves and hopefully taking a trip on the Soller Train during our time on Mallorca if possible.

How feasible is it to do both these in one day ? and which way round would you advise, if it is possible.

Cheers

We used to live in Mallorca.

Without renting a car for the day it will be difficult to do both Soller and the Cuevas del Drach.

As per the previous responses, I personally think that Palma City has FAR more to offer than the Caves that are very tourist orientated.

Palma is such a pedestrian friendly city with so many places of interest to see - don't miss the Cathedral, the Almudaina Palace (immediately opposite the Cathedral) and the Bishops Garden (an oasis of tranquility just past the Cathedral).