How do you take your Bonine?

hawkeye93

Straight up? On the rocks? ;). Seriously...it’s been years since we cruised and I forget how i did it. I suffer from extreme motion sickness and put off cruising solely bc of it- Bonine worked like a charm!!! Morning or night? 1 tablet or 2? And this is dumb but since it’s chewable, do you actually NEED to chew it to get the proper timely effect?

If you do ginger, or green apples, the patch, wristbands, or “don’t need anything” that’s awesome, but please reply only if you’ve got Bonine/meclazine tips. THANK YOU!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Hawkeye93,

I developed motion sickness later in life. Started off a just a little and grew to the point I feared cruising altogether. Having tried all the various remedies Bonine proved to be the one thing that worked. Truly a lifesaver.

For me I take one tablet with water the morning of departure and then one every morning during the cruise. Since I started doing this I have had no problems whatsoever.

I start taking it a day or two before embarkation. Then take one or two a day as needed, possibly every day. Ask at pharmacy for the generic Meclazine. Much less expensive. I also take ginger/ginger tea. (request hot water for tea from room service the first day to make tea in your cabin). I hear the green apples they keep in the buffet area help, but I always forget about them.

We do not take it very often, but when we do:

Early in our cruising we would take one a couple of hours before the ship leave port on the day of embarkation. While you can take up to two in 24 hours we try to limit it to one. They are chewable. We just chew them without water.

After that we only take them if we have a good sense that the weather is turning bad or the Captain speaks from the bridge to warn passenger's and crew of bad weather.

Keith

I'm prone to motion sickness in various modes of transportation - planes, trains, automobiles, and cruise ships. I start taking Bonine (meclizine) the night before we leave the house and continue taking 1 tablet every night before going to bed. I believe if it's going to make me sleepy, I might as well enjoy the benefit of a good sleep and don't worry about dragging myself through a tour because I want to sleep. I chew the chewables followed by a glass of water.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I've never needed it....I find staying a bit "tipsy" works just as well! Not kidding....our 1st cruise was rocky as hell...and we took nothing for motion sickness (not sure we ever felt ill)...except for drinking most of the day!

That may work for you and maybe for others in the evening,but I don't care to be "tipsy" at breakfast at 9 a.m. and I don't think that rough seas know what time of day it is. :rolleyes:

I'm prone to motion sickness in various modes of transportation - planes, trains, automobiles, and cruise ships. I start taking Bonine (meclizine) the night before we leave the house and continue taking 1 tablet every night before going to bed. I believe if it's going to make me sleepy, I might as well enjoy the benefit of a good sleep and don't worry about dragging myself through a tour because I want to sleep. I chew the chewables followed by a glass of water.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

THIS ! It always works for me. :D

I start about a week before just to try it to see how my body is going to be affected.

Then, I just follow the directions. Chew a tablet in the morning starting the day before.

Note: I only use when I'm going to be on a small boat fishing in the open waters. Don't need it on a cruise ship.

A couple questions..I’m a newbie too! Do I need a prescription? How does it interact with alcohol? Don’t want to be sleepy the whole time. Thanks!

Over the counter. Generic is Meclizine. Not sure about alcohol interaction-I don't drink. Check the label?

A couple questions..I’m a newbie too! Do I need a prescription? How does it interact with alcohol? Don’t want to be sleepy the whole time. Thanks!

Over the counter. Generic is Meclizine. Not sure about alcohol interaction-I don't drink. Check the label?

I don't find mixing it to be a problem.

I also chew one tablet every night before going to bed, and start one or two days before the cruise, this helps with my flights too. Since you are allowed 2 a day, I don't take the 2nd one unless it's getting rocky and I start feeling a little off. I have started to use the sea bands in addition to the pills, but only if I start feeling off, and found it to be surprisingly helpful. The pills can make you groggy which is why I prefer bedtime. Green apples have done nothing for me.

I refuse to let the motion keep me from cruising!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I take one in the morning just as a precaution. As with pain, if you wait till the condition is dire it will take the meds longer to work. The instructions say to take several hours before your flight or cruise.

I also give my Beverage Package quite a workout and the pill has no effects with that. It doesn't make me sleepy; I take the generic meclizine.

The people at Bonine say: Dosage should be taken one hour before travel starts. Adults and children 12 years of age and over: take 1 to 2 tablets once daily or as directed by a doctor. Among other cautions, they say not to combine it with Alcoholic beverages (Uh oh:()

I take one pill in am and one at night, starting before my flight. Letting the chewable kind dissolve under your tongue is is best. Ask at your pharmacy for the "behind the counter" brand.[/quote)

Exactly. I start 24hours before my cruise, and take one chewable tablet morning and night for the duration of the cruise.

I use ginger "chewable" candies as needed.