Question

Angieer

rome..there are posts on cruise critic that show how to go to rome from the port via train complete with photos

easy to do

train ticket has to be validated once on board to be valid...there is a little punch machine..on the platform too....this ticket is also valid for metro and buses in Rome

rome..there are posts on cruise critic that show how to go to rome from the port via train complete with photos

easy to do

train ticket has to be validated once on board to be valid...there is a little punch machine..on the platform too....this ticket is also valid for metro and buses in Rome

Just to clarify for Rome, there is a BIRG ticket available for 12 Euros that is good for 24 hours for train fare between the port and Rome, plus metro and busses in Rome. This ticket can be purchased at the train station in the port city of Civitavecchia and must be validated before you get on the train.

easy to do

Yes, i'm looking and reading a lot, this is my first day here. We are also considering the train. Thanks for the advise

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify for Rome, there is a BIRG ticket available for 12 Euros that is good for 24 hours for train fare between the port and Rome, plus metro and busses in Rome. This ticket can be purchased at the train station in the port city of Civitavecchia and must be validated before you get on the train.

thanks for that...would be really bad if somebody relied on my post and tried to use regular ticket on metro....

The first two cruises my wife and I did (6 and 5 years ago) were in Europe. I used Cruise Critic a lot and we used the Rick Steve's guide a lot as well. Some cities you really can do on your own. But if you decide a guided tour is easier for you (as we did with a few cities) I literally googled something like "shore excursions Florence" and scoured the results. Then Tripadvisor helped me decide if anyone was more reputable than anyone else. We've now cruised 6 times, and booked, I believe 14 different private, non-ship sponsored excursions. All using the method above. All turned out just fine (yes, not everyone was a homerun, but no one struck out either) and most were fabulous.

for Pompeii we planned on travel on our own. looked at the train but a bit of a distance from the port..found a bus that went from close to the port to Pompeii..then the ship put on a bus service that just gave you time on your own in pompeii for a reasonable price...good as it gets you in and out of the port itself which is very busy