Panama tours Any suggestions

ggg

Hi, we will be in panama next week coming off the Carnival Liberty for the day. We are a party of 8, 4 adults and 4 teens. We do not want to go on to panama canal tour . Any suggestion what we could do for fun ? Thanks :confused:

Here's what I think you and your teens would thoroughly enjoy, something right out of National Geographic. You'd experience a unique culture that has been in Panama since before Columbus arrived. You'd see some of Panama en route, and you'd have a spectacular ride in a dug out canoe across Madden Lake and up a jungle river for an hour.

I'm not sure if she picks people up in Colon, but here's what I'd recommend: Anne Barrigon at Embera Village Tours offers a full day tour to the authentic Embera village, not the one the ship uses. She picks you up and brings you back. It's a full day. The cost varies according to the number of people - 4 folks it's $80 each, I think $75 for each for more than four - less than the ship charges!

I've posted some pics on my blog at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/visiting-the-embera/

You have so kindly answered my questions on Puerto Amador on another thread, and now I find this thread with even more information! Our regret is that you will not be lecturing on our Island Princess RT LA cruise in April! I am finding your writings and links fascinating - not through all of them yet, but I have read many - until the middle of the night last night !! I hope everyone who comes across this thread will go to your Panama Blog site. What a wealth of information there. THANK YOU!

Bucky3

Bucky, Actually when we were in the travel biz our offices were the top producers for Princess between LA & Santa Barbara, so I have nothing against Princess . . . helps my PLC stock! But I wish you were coming with us on VOLENDAM April 11th ... I'd like to meet you and would even buy drinks in the Crow's Nest! Richard

Hi Richard,

Thank you for responding to all the questions regarding Panama. After reading your post, we are very interested in the Embera Indian Village. We will be on Royal's Jewel next January and was wondering if we could "do" this tour. Your insight and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick and Carol

Misnco, It looks like JEWEL will disembark guests in Gatun Lake for shore excursions then go onto the pier at Christobal. When ships do this you have to book a shore excursion through the ship if you want to see anything. The pier at Christobal has indian crafts and stuff but there is nothing to see around the pier and no time for a shore excursion on your own. Although RCCL uses the "demonstration" Embera village, it will give you a good glimpse of Embera culture and is better than staying on the ship back through the locks.

Richard - It would be fun to join you in the Volendam's Crow's Nest! We loved our Alaska voyage on her two summers ago. Should we ever meet onboard, however, the drinks are on us - you've already done your part with all the valuable information you've presented - and it is VERY MUCH appreciated!!

We are seriously considering Anne Gordon's Embera Village tour from Puerto Amador. I'm still not sure about distances, traffic, etc., so we wish this were a Princess excursion - any chance with your influence you could get in touch with the "powers that be" at Princess and get them to include this on our 19-day PC RT from LA sailing April 21, 2008?? I'm sure there would be lots of interest.

Just a few days ago I sent a letter to Princess asking that an Embera Indian Village excursion be added to our shorex list, but who knows if I'll get an answer. I came across Anne Gordon's site after that mailing, so no specific tour operator was mentioned in my request. After reading about traffic, etc, etc., in Panama we are reluctant to take a tour not sponsored by the ship!

Maybe a little prompting from you would help??

Bucky3

Hi Richard,

Bucky3 said exactly what needed to be said (Thanks Bucky3) regarding the information you provided all of us regarding Panama.

We would love to go with Ann Gordon tour to the village, as well, but as you told us in your previous post Royal will not "allow" us to go on private tours. We are going to call Royal and see if we can "do somthing" to put this tour in their offerings...we will see.

With that being said, what tour would you recommend so that we can experience a bit of Panama? Embera Indians? Panana City? We love native peoples culture so we are leaning towards the Embera Indians. But your suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks again!

Thanks Misnco! As wonderful as it is, cruising does sometimes have it's limitations and you need to go with the flow . . . Since you enjoy native cultures, I'd go with the Embera tour, even if it's the "demonstration" village it will still give you a glimpse of a fascinating culture . . . something you can experience no where else. "A little is better than nothing" Have a great trip! Regards, Richard

Well, guess what? I got a call from Princess in response to my letter requesting the addition of the Embera Indian Village tour, BUT, though "she" said it would be passed on to the proper department, she didn't think it would be added to our April cruise as she didn't think there would be time to make those arrangements. I did say Anne Gordon did have availability for the day we will be in Puerto Amador, so who knows, perhaps we will find it added once we are onboard.

Maybe Anne reads this board and could get in touch with Princess herself? Maybe Richard in Panama could add some input here? We'll keep our fingers crossed. I think there would be lots of interest for this excursion.

Bucky3, Anne is just an individual trying to provide a service that bridges a gap between cultures and allows small groups to experience a genuine Embera village where here in-laws live. I fear that with 21 motorcoaches from a gigantic Princess ship something would be lost. [Most of the companies the cruise lines work with must, of necessity, be quite large and well-equipped.]

This is probably a good subject for another tread, but the challenge, as I see it, is to create opportunities for sustainable tourism, tourism that allows guests to experience a destination without eventually destroying it. Ships bring wonderful revenue to destinations . . . and allow cruise guests to experience wonderful insights into a world outside of their own, but there is a "cost' - just look at St Thomas! When I first went there in the 60's you could just leave your Jeep on the main street along the waterfront. There were maybe four jewelry and liquor stores . . . In St John you couldn't get out of Cruz Bay without a 4 wheel Jeep.

So, it's a question of balance. I want people visiting Panama to be able to experience the Embera. It's good for the Embera people and for the visitors it is their own "National Geographic" adventure which enormously broadens their horizons. But keeping the balance and not destroying . . . that's the challenge. Regards, Richard

Richard - You make very good points. We agree. Our Caribbean experience is somewhat limited, but we have been to St. Thomas a few times and how right you are. The same is true in Alaska. Last year we visited Hoonah for the first time and what a pleasant change that was compared to the other ports.

We were fortunate to be on a ship that visited the San Blas Islands several years ago, and we loved that, but we were a lot younger then! Anne has been great about replying to our questions, and we are considering this, but I think it might be just too much for us old folks at this point!

Ahoy!

Richard, will you aboard the Volendam 3/12 to do the Explorer's Lectures?

I've heard great things about you via various threads.

Although we'll be doing the ferry tour in March I look forward to the Viilage tour on our next visit. Unfortunately, I don't believe HAL runs the 'authentic' village tour that you have described.

See ya at the lectures and, perhaps, a libation in the Crow's Nest if your booked on 3/12 sail!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Ahoy!

Richard this is the decription of the village tour on the HAL site for the 3/12 Volendam sailing:

Embera Indian Village to Colon

Duration: Approximately 3 1/2 hours

Price : $$

activity2.gif

Along the banks of the Gatun Lake live many families of the Embera Indians. One of these communities lives on Banana Island inside the Gatun Lake area at the Panama Canal. You have a once in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit this wonderful tribe. Take a short bus transfer to the boat launch and board a dugout canoe for a brief ride to the Embera Indian Village. Your time at the village will include observing native dance, learning about their lifestyle and a chance to purchase local crafts before returning to the ship.

Notes:

This excursion will depart from Gatun Lake after the transit of Gatun Locks and will be completed in Colon, where guests will rejoin the ship.

Is this the 'demo' village since you mentioned a one hour plus canoe ride?

I'm currently reading McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas" which, well, I find a bit too detailed (comprehensive?) for my taste with all the 'cast' members but I should finish it this week. I know your lectures will be a tad more abbreviated. My spouse, Judy, and I always look forward to HAL's Explorer series.

I look forward to your lectures and, perhaps, a libation or two.

Thanks again.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Richard in Panama,

I have been reading your valuable comments with interest, because we were considering a repositioning cruise from FL to SD, to enable my husband to see the Panama Canal.

As I have fond memories of crossing the Panama Canal, at a slower pace, with port stops at each end, we would hate to just race through, without the opportunity to discover a little of Panama.

Are you aware of local cruises, which include a Panama Canal crossing, for us to consider for a future visit?

MM Down Under - If you like the small ship concept, try www.cruisewest.com formerly known as Alaska Cruise West. They run small ships and have a really neat 14 day Costa Rica/Panama itinerary that includes the San Blas islands, home of the Kuna Indians. It's a FANTASTIC itinerary, however a totally different experience than a "big ship." Let me know what you think! Regards, Richard

Ahoy!

...and gee, that was a quick reply.

Just a short query. I'd like to run down to the library in the next week or two, or if necesssary, purchase on ebay a documentary or two on the Panama Canal construction. I've found the following documentaries available:

1. Nova (David Mc.) :60 min.

2. Modern Marvels :60 min.

3. A&E :50 min (previously on the History Channel)

Any favorites / advise?

Further, any other personnal recommendations for documentaries or good 'reads' that you would consider valuable for one who enjoys the history & culture(s) of various portions of the world?

Again,thanks so much.

I'm actually starting to get excited about visiting the Panama/Costa Rica area (got the wintertime 'blues' I guess).

Bon Voyage & Good Health mi amigo. Salute!

Bob, Actually I have a "Recommended Reading List" on my blog - some "required", some just "extra credit" :) For the Canal definitely David McCullough's PATH BETWEEN THE SEAS. http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/richards-must-read-travel-books/

Regarding the videos, while I like David McCullough's it was filmed on a Royal Viking ship! Remember those, back in the day, and a LONG time ago. So it is pretty dated. [Actually filmed on the ROYAL VIKING SUN, now the PRINSENDAM.] All three they show periodically on the Exploration Channel on Holland America, so you can watch them on the cruise and see what you like.

Regards, Richard

Here's what I think you and your teens would thoroughly enjoy, something right out of National Geographic. You'd experience a unique culture that has been in Panama since before Columbus arrived. You'd see some of Panama en route, and you'd have a spectacular ride in a dug out canoe across Madden Lake and up a jungle river for an hour.

I'm not sure if she picks people up in Colon, but here's what I'd recommend: Anne Barrigon at Embera Village Tours offers a full day tour to the authentic Embera village, not the one the ship uses. She picks you up and brings you back. It's a full day. The cost varies according to the number of people - 4 folks it's $80 each, I think $75 for each for more than four - less than the ship charges!

I've posted some pics on my blog at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/visiting-the-embera/

We shall be at Cristobal pier with Queen Mary 2 on March 28th from 8;00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. . Would you also recommend this tour for cruise ship passengers due to our limited time schedule? I have communicated with Anne and she says she can be at the pier on that date.

P.S. We don't like the tours offered by the cruise ships. We have allways been disappointed when taking a tour with them versus arranging a tour on our own.

Anne knows the area and is married to a Embera tribe member from this village. You have 8 hours ashore, which gives you enough time. Anne is a local so knows how to avoid any potential problem spots, and for most of the time you will be FAR far away from heavily populated areas. It will be one of the highlights of your trip . . . apart from sailling on the QUEEN MARY 2! Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello...

I am considering what we can see in panama and came to this thread....

I will be travelign on Carnival Freedom with hubby and son (14)....hoping this is an option for us..any further thought on if this is possible with my time on the ground?

Ship vs private?

Thanks....

Karyn

we just signed up for a panama cruise 14 days, coral for next feb and are very excited! ive been reading and am a little confused! in panama are we allowed off the ship or not?? ive heard about the cruise tour and that the ship discourages or forbids private tours only in panama?? and ive also read about that incredible tour you mentioned a few posts back!! so does the ship actually stop at a dock?? that tour would be great!! thanks for any help you could give me martha

Archived