4.29.2018 NCL Pearl to Alaska live writeup- and I don’t even sail for 75 days!

Weetahbugdotcom

4bb7c456b74523ca2abb98611adcb1c2.jpg

First off, my phone was dying. The battery backup I brought was dead.

The bike had been shifting hard the whole time; I chalked it up to it being a cheaper bike than the one I owned, ridden hard as a rental. It still rode nicely otherwise. But suddenly, I couldn’t pedal anymore.

I pulled to the side and found that the chain had slipped off of the smallest gear and wedged itself between the gear and the frame of the bike.

Maybe it was my thick manicured nails, or the dark, or impatience but I couldn’t get the chain out. I am fairly handy with bikes but I just couldn’t do it. I called the bike shop on my almost dead phone and told them what was up.

“Can I call you back in like 5 minutes?”he said super casually. These guys were so nice when I met them, but I was getting annoyed. I passive aggressively told him not to bother, I would just walk the bike back SEVERAL MILES and talk to him then. He was like, “cool, ok.”

I love walking and it was a beautiful night for it, but it was soured by a.) having to push a bike and b.) the whole reason I got the bike was so I could see more of the city, not less of it because I had to walk the bike back 90 minutes and then get on the ship early. My plans to find good food were ruined too.

The silver lining was it was beautiful out and the residential area was quiet and serene.

e08b335ef85424dc0f8065bcac8a431d.jpg

a71c453a09a1b1ceca319d845a118f6d.jpg

0ce756fd4294bc24db1b0af83fd7507e.jpg

7ef36d532f87c7e4b6d69e9283c0e02e.jpg

(Victoria likes dogs.)

As I walked closer to the bike rental place, one of the guys came out and met me. I wasn’t mean but my disappointment was pretty evident. He looked at the gears and blamed it on me cross shifting. Actually, it only looked that way because at one point after I broke down I cycled through the gears to count them. I know not to cross shift because my last bike was sensitive to it, but my current bike I could do it if I wanted. There are plenty of people who would rent his bikes that don’t know that’s something not to do, and they gave no warning. I said none of this, and accepted the $10 refund they gave me even if I think I deserved more. After all, one of the guys tied my shoe when I rented the bikes. They were super nice.

e4081f7c930927bd229083a1140a7fb6.jpg

I walked back to the ship feeling a little dejected. I didn’t get to find great food in victoria, I was getting on the ship early, and at this hour I wasn’t going to find good food, therefore I was never going to have a great meal on the ship again. My choices were to skip eating or have cruise ship pizza delivery. Cruise ship pizza delivery is only good if 3 criteria are met:

1- it’s after 2am

2- you are drunk

3- you eat it on the floor.

None of these were true at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choices were to skip eating or have cruise ship pizza delivery.

Are you referring to ordering pizza delivered to the cruise ship? Because that is the most baller ass move I believe I've ever heard of. Could that possibly work?

Or are you just talking about room service pizza?

463b09a134293fb48d86d8cb816b9b29.jpg

So here it was, 11pm, and I am eating bad pizza, drinking iced tea, and staring at a cheesecake, while packing my stuff up. It certainly didn’t go in how it was when I arrived. I am an atheist, but I prayed that my bag didn’t explode at the airport. I thought about sleeping out on the balcony, but the bed was so comfy.

For the first time, I turned off the light BEFORE falling asleep.

46067fcd60b0e773d7636ab59aaba7ec.jpg

Woke up in the morning to a really beautiful day. And room Service. I had delicious breakfast in bed and then migrated to the balcony for coffee.

cd6aefb9137225d655c0dba82b2e1a73.jpg

b06d1c9111ef6d7f8677d4ae2f9d4175.jpg

I realized that I had to go to guest services to get my money back for my cancelled excursion. It was a nice surprise to have some crispy $100 bills in my pocket.

The best thing about the vip Service I was receiving was PRIORITY WALK OFF DISEMBARKATION.

All of the other cruises I have been on, were a little bit undone by disembarkation. This was simple and easy and great. I sat at the terminal for a little while watching the excitement of all of the people getting ready to go on their cruise.

When I was ready, I walked down the street a bit and got myself an uber to the airport.

This was posed in another forum so since you just returned I will ask you.

Were you charged additional tax on drinks while in port since you had the UBP?

I know in Seattle I was. And on other cruises, in NY. It’s literally pennies though.

Lisa, Your review has been incredible! I embark on the Jewel tomorrow and Your review was so helpful. I’ve also enjoyed our chats on messenger!

Thanks for taking the time to walk us through your adventure.

-Alaina

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alaina --

We'll be on the Jewel in September. Can you come back & let us know how your trip went? We are interested in the ship, activities/entertainment & the food...

Have a GREAT Alaskan Adventure!!!

Cheers -- Von & John

Alaina --

We'll be on the Jewel in September. Can you come back & let us know how your trip went? We are interested in the ship, activities/entertainment & the food...

Have a GREAT Alaskan Adventure!!!

Cheers -- Von & John

Von & John,

I will do a full photo review, so you will have a lot of info to sort through. If you look at my signature, you can see my writing/review style on the other reviews I’ve done.

Happy sailing to you!

Here’s the Jewel outside of my window this morning at Marriott Waterfront.

31f6f3c254751da97abd97c3bada5b7f.jpg

Von & John,

I will do a full photo review, so you will have a lot of info to sort through. If you look at my signature, you can see my writing/review style on the other reviews I’ve done.

Happy sailing to you!

Here’s the Jewel outside of my window this morning at Marriott Waterfront.

31f6f3c254751da97abd97c3bada5b7f.jpg

ThanksAlaina & we'll look forward to your fabulous review! Not sure how the weather was this morning -- We had gorgeous weather in Talkeetna 65(F) & Sunny!!!. Have a Great Trip & Weather....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...