Sept 9th cruise to Alaska on the Pearl...Inside Passage

tmt3698

Hello Everyone,

I've been on lots of cruises and had been watching the Alaska cruise prices and this one popped up, end of season balcony for $699 had to leave in one week. I put all my planning into high gear and called the pet sitter and left in one week from the day I booked it. Crazy times but I did it. Had miles with American Airlines but much to my surprise when I arrived at the airport at 4am they had canceled my flight. Long story short I canceled those flights and re-booked with United. I don't like long layovers and just wanted to get to Seattle to sight see the day before the cruise. Made it Seattle at 4pm, checked into the Best Western Executive Inn walking distance to the Space Needle and Chihuly museum. This Best Western was very nice the bed and pillows were so soft and they have a restaurant attached that has a breakfast buffet for $10.95.

Rested a few minutes then went to eat at Golden Singha Thai Cuisine it was good. Then to the Space Needle and Chihuly Museum the Space Needle was cool but the Chihuly Museum was fantastic if your into that sort of thing.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATIwMTAwAC0wMABlZi04NGI3LTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA51V%2F35rGmFAgFn%2FprTIeLYHAFqSItdS4vVLvj4V2RBRrvYAAAIBDAAAAGU90F9ynB9IqlTkg4EkiBwAAW49erwAAAABEgAQAFDvOhlu6mZDrCdqyaAm514%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=tr4RNTJ6u0-XHT-eQb55vEBI7gB8HtYY1xfnWgfJZlaAJHWNEmBmApJKcIWdB2rU__T9noNiF80.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.NzcA2_hQr6O49MqMy-GsFJK6BvWFpAYkLBObDQeKOAy9DoeEi780T7gaIbD0a3-PHaklmJCmDpiyOdlpZwuCa_E-7PlTXJfZB8ZX376Mp_-lEG5hV4GFUXbNymt3Kk4fCJi1szIGZWvolEPNi6RUiswHN_tW_7Gl_6FZBID9oYbgRUDiMQWxo4R45atDZydzX4CPk0u42lKVs5JK2mv-eQ4pApEIO_pA61v-TN42eVeMOI_pUhiT6CZvREs26xPS4nAC_8CxIAU0rLYth1j0UiPRMINDiwUQyB3mLmcRHz6g8aHGVqVLvNX3UMi8ax54F8YezW0FAJcUOoaxtu95AQ&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

Edited by tmt3698

Got up the next day, day of the cruise. Took the free waterfront shuttle to Pike's Market walked around bought a few things, watched the guys throw some fish. It was very crowded on the top level very overwhelming. Not many people on the lower levels. Took a taxi back to the hotel to get my luggage then he took me to the pier. I dropped my luggage off then headed upstairs, pretty long wait to get checked in but not too bad. Once on the ship I went to Summer Palace for lunch had vegetable broth soup it is was good, the salmon burger with waffle fries, the salmon burger was okay, the waffle fries were delish. Walked around checked things out. The Pearl is a pretty ship but not the prettiest I've seen. Went to the pool deck for the sail away then back inside to walk around some more. My cabin was 9140 very spacious, large closet, one sink, large shower, small commode area with a sliding glass door to the commode. Queen sized bed and a sofa, vanity area with a bench. Balcony with two chairs and small table. Rested then went to dinner at Summer Palace again. Had short ribs that came with potato salad and macaroni salad. The short ribs were just okay. I was traveling solo and went to the solo meeting at 6pm met several other solo travelers. We all planned to meet the next day for lunch at the Summer Palace this meal was my second favorite I had clam chowder delish, greek salad okay, shrimp penne pasta that was a bit spicy delish. That night we all met at Lotus Garden for dinner. I had pot stickers okay over cooked and spicy seafood udon noodles delish. After that we went to the show with Nicola Ward she was fantastic.

09a14fcf-414d-4231-926c-31196be63894

Day 3 in Juneau......ate the buffet had cereal, bagel, fruit. Booked a whale watching tour with Alaska Shore Excursions: Whale Watching and Mendanhall Glacier it was a good tour. I was hoping to see Orca whales but didn't think to ask if they ever see Orcas. The gal helping the captain said they rarely see Orcas but we did see a lot of Humpback whales, some Eagles and you could see Mendenhall Glacier from the tour. After that stopped at the food truck and ordered two salmon cakes for $5 they were delish. Did a lot of shopping here most of the shops had everything half off since it was the end of the season. Having trouble getting the pics from my phone onto my PC. Will try and upload more pics tomorrow.

Edited by tmt3698

Day 3 in Juneau......ate the buffet had cereal, bagel, fruit. Booked a whale watching tour with Alaska Shore Excursions: Whale Watching and Mendanhall Glacier it was a good tour. I was hoping to see Orca whales but didn't think to ask if they ever see Orcas. The gal helping the captain said they rarely see Orcas but we did see a lot of Humpback whales, some Eagles and you could see Mendenhall Glacier from the tour. After that stopped at the food truck and ordered two salmon cakes for $5 they were delish. Did a lot of shopping here most of the shops had everything half off since it was the end of the season. Having trouble getting the pics from my phone onto my PC. Will try and upload more pics tomorrow.

enhance

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

We were on that cruise. Keep the review coming. Looks like we did much of the same things in Seattle as well. Great minds do think alike I guess.

Did you see any Orca whales? I was really hoping to see them and didn't. But other than that had a great time.

Juneau pics:

Whale Watching Humpback tail:

enhance

Me without using Snapchat

enhance

Mendehall Glacier

enhance

Two salmon cakes from food truck $5

enhance

My Yacht waiting my arrival in Juneau.......LOL

enhance

Pearl....pool deck

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

Day Four Skagway, in this port I did another excursion with Alaska Adventures:

Yukon Discovery Adventure we went to three lakes including Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing for lunch, museum, petting zoo, and dogs pulling a sled(on wheels) this excursion is by van and goes up into Canada which was much colder than down at sea level in Skagway. Our guide Aaron was very entertaining and we made several stops for pictures. Lunch was included at Caribou Crossing. We also stopped in Carcross cool place with shops, old locomotive and old Steamer boat Tutshi. Once we arrived back in Skagway I walked around and looked in the shops, not much was on sale like in Juneau so I didn't buy anything. They have a shuttle bus that will take you from the ship into town for $2 or from town back to the ship $2.

This is the valley the gold miners would have hiked in to reach the Klondike River

enhance

One of the lakes Tutshi or Tagish

enhance

Medium sized cinnamon bear he got spooked you can see his back

enhance

enhance

Emerald Lake

enhance

Another lake

enhance

On this day I ate breakfast at the buffet, omelette, bagel w/ peanut butter and jelly, fruit. Dinner in the Summer Palace again I ordered corn/crab chowder it was ok I thought it was going to be cream based but it was more broth based. Ordered two entrees Snapper it was good, not very spicy. And chicken cordon blue very good.

Chocolate moulton cake good. Didn't make it the show this night.

Day five: Glacier Bay

At breakfast at the buffet, cereal, mocha french toast delish, fruit.

Lunch at the buffet salmon chowder delish, crab roll delish.

Dinner at Indigo this is the other formal dining room just a different decor

more modern. I prefer the Summer Palace I think it's prettier.

This was my favorite meal broccoli and cheddar soup very good

Entree shrimp alfredo delish. The food in the main dining rooms(free) isn't very

progressive. If you want that type of food the specialty restaurants might be what your looking for. I've eaten at a specialty restaurant once on Carnival and it was much better than the "free ones"

At Glacier Bay a naturalist is required to board the ship and talk on the PA system you can put your TV on channel 24 to hear him in your cabin. I read online they only allow two ships per day in Glacier Bay. Luckily the weather was good and we made it John Hopkins glacier which they said dosen't happen very often. It takes awhile to get there because the captain has to go slow. Once there the captain rotates the ship so everyone can see it. It did calve twice while we were there it makes a loud booming noise. It doesn't seem like we stayed there very long then we left and headed to Margerie glacier which seemed much smaller than the other one. Then we left and headed to Ketchikan.

John Hopkins Glacier:

enhance

I've seen other pictures that are much closer, we didn't get that close maybe those pictures are zoomed in

enhance

Margerie Glacier

enhance

Glacier Bay

enhance

enhance

Me all bundled up with my binoculars

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

Shrimp Alfredo

enhance

Day six: Ketchikan

This day I had breakfast at the buffet, omelette, mocha french toast, fruit.

Met up with the other solo ladies and had dinner at the Lotus Garden this time I had two appetizers, one spring roll, calamari both very good. Entree was Shrimp and chickens low mein that was ok. Green tea ice cream for dessert sounds weird but it was delish.

In Ketchikan I went kayaking with Southeast Seas Kayaking the excursion was called Orcas Cove Boat and kayaking it was 3 hours long and the most expensive excursion I did for $169 with taxes. They met us at the visitor center, took us to their shop outfitted us with huge rain jacket. Then we headed out on a boat to another boat that was moored in a cove. Here they outfitted us with a splash guard that hooks onto the kayak it keeps water out and the heat in. They had a dingy that you slid down onto, then you put your feet into the kayak and swung your bottom over onto the kayak. I was worried about getting wet but didn't get one drop of water on me. It was a nice kayak ride, short but sweet. We saw starfish on the side of the rocks but that was it. No Orcas :( Once we arrived back at the boat the captain had some smoked salmon, cream cheese, crackers for us. Then the other boat came back and picked us up and took us back to the piers. For the price I think it should have been longer the guide wasn't that great he was young and just chatted with another tourist the whole time really didn't give us much info. Got back to town and walked over to Creek Street the salmon were all dead and seagulls were gorging themselves. And there are shops all up and down Creek Street. Pretty pricey though. Walked back over toward the ship there are more stores there.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by tmt3698

My daughter and son in law are in Pearl at the moment

Gives me an idea what they are experiencing by reading your review

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a lot of fun, I found the main buffet and the Great Outdoors buffet would have different type of foods so check them both out.

I wish I would have gone further up into the Glaciers now that I look back on it but those excursions were so expensive. I was thinking there was going to be so much ice and snow but at sea level there isn't much ice and snow.

Not sure if you like to bowl but there is a bowling alley in Bliss night club.

Did you see any Orca whales? I was really hoping to see them and didn't. But other than that had a great time.

We did not see any Orcas. I too was hoping but we were kind of late in the year for them and did not really go into the ports that have large pods of them. We saw lots of Humbacks, lots of seals and otters as well

We did not see any Orcas. I too was hoping but we were kind of late in the year for them and did not really go into the ports that have large pods of them. We saw lots of Humbacks, lots of seals and otters as well

My new group of solo friends were in the hot tub for about an hour and people starting yelling whale whale. My friend said an Orca came right up the ship. That would have made my trip.

Oh well life goes on :(

Day Seven....last day heading to Victoria. I didn't make notes of what I ate this day. I think I did the buffet at breakfast and lunch. And had a quick dinner before getting off in Victoria. The group of us solo gals met at Matlings at 5:45 to get off the ship together and walk around Victoria with no plans in place but to get there. First we were going to take the shuttle that is $13 RT the line was very long and the gal at the visitor booth said sharing a cab would be less. So we got a cab they made us wait for a van since there were five of us. It seems they are very strict with rules in Victoria. I was running across the parking lot trying to flag down a cab and the parking lot attendant got very upset with me and yelled at me and said I could not cross the street to where the cabs were. I guess I have to mention I was running out in front of buses! LOL I didn't even see the buses just the taxi cabs! Took the cab to Parliament got out took pictures of Parliament walked(was going to walk on the grass and thought better of it and got on the side walk) over to The Empress Hotel, had coffee and creme brulee. At dusk they turned the lights on Parliament, very pretty. We decided to share a taxi to Chinatown which was a complete waste of time and money. It's now about 7-7:30pm everything in Chinatown except a few restaurants were closed. One shop open. If you buy something in Victoria and give them US dollars they will give you Canadian change back. Headed back toward the waterfront area. Some girls just wanted to go back, I wanted to walk around a little more and shop. So two of us stayed walked around and shopped then found another gal we knew and another gal that worked on the ship and we all shared a cab back to the ship.Victoria is very pretty would definitely visit here again.

Creme brulee at The Empress:

enhance

The Empress Hotel

enhance

Inside The Empress Hotel

enhance

Parliament

enhance

Parliament lit up at night

enhance

My favorite picture of them all: Orca topiary

enhance

My new group of solo friends were in the hot tub for about an hour and people starting yelling whale whale. My friend said an Orca came right up the ship. That would have made my trip.

Oh well life goes on :(

Would have made mine as well. We are looking at going back in 2020 but earlier in the year so there is a better opportunity for more wildlife. That was our 4th Alaskan cruise and they are always great but more eagles and more whales earlier in the season

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So sad to have to leave the ship and being catered to. Stayed as long as I could until 9am. Standing outside the terminal I asked this couple if they wanted to share a ride she said I'm taking Lyft to my hotel for $4 and didn't think there would be enough room for all of us and luggage. I've never used Lyft or Uber but standing there in the rain I downloaded Lyft and entered by credit card number, put in my hotel's address it said $7.67. I paid a taxi $20 the week before to take me from the Pier area back to Best Western and back to the pier. Got the Lyft ride and headed to The Grand Hyatt for one night in a luxurious hotel. I had points on a credit card and thought hey what they heck. Checked in luckily they let me check into my room early 10am dropped off my luggage and took the free waterfront shuttle to the free Klondike Museum near Pioneer Square. This museum is impressive to be free, two stories and a nice movie about the gold miners. And stopped in Waterfall Park right there in Pioneer Square very cool little park.

Not so great of an area but it was day light, quickly headed out of there on the free shuttle back to Pike's market area, went to Ivar's for an inexpensive lunch at the take out counter. Ordered three piece haddock with fries and sat outside watching the kids feed the sea gulls. Those sea gulls are aggressive here in Florida they will steal your food, so I was watching them closely. My plane was leaving that morning at 12:56am and the shuttle was picking me up at 10pm. So I went back to the Grand Hyatt at 2pm to enjoy the room for a few hours. The bed, pillows and duvet were all down and heavenly.

I used Shuttle Express to pick me up the first day, that driver man handled my luggage and threw it in the back of the van. The second ride the last night, the driver picked me up on time then we had to pick up someone else up at the train station well that took 35 minutes for some reason and traffic getting to the airport was bumper to bumper was getting nervous if I was going to make but I did.

Overall this was a good trip, I think I need to go to Friday Harbor soon to see the Orcas.

Farewell for now :)

Waterfall Park:

enhance

Bathroom in The Grand Hyatt:

enhance

Me..........Ciao Ciao

enhance

Would have made mine as well. We are looking at going back in 2020 but earlier in the year so there is a better opportunity for more wildlife. That was our 4th Alaskan cruise and they are always great but more eagles and more whales earlier in the season

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll go to Friday Harbor next time, the Ocras live around there. J, K & L pods live there but they are starving, not enough salmon to eat. So sad

Got up the next day, day of the cruise. Took the free waterfront shuttle to Pike's Market walked around bought a few things, watched the guys throw some fish. It was very crowded on the top level very overwhelming. Not many people on the lower levels. Took a taxi back to the hotel to get my luggage then he took me to the pier. I dropped my luggage off then headed upstairs, pretty long wait to get checked in but not too bad. Once on the ship I went to Summer Palace for lunch had vegetable broth soup it is was good, the salmon burger with waffle fries, the salmon burger was okay, the waffle fries were delish. Walked around checked things out. The Pearl is a pretty ship but not the prettiest I've seen. Went to the pool deck for the sail away then back inside to walk around some more. My cabin was 9140 very spacious, large closet, one sink, large shower, small commode area with a sliding glass door to the commode. Queen sized bed and a sofa, vanity area with a bench. Balcony with two chairs and small table. Rested then went to dinner at Summer Palace again. Had short ribs that came with potato salad and macaroni salad. The short ribs were just okay. I was traveling solo and went to the solo meeting at 6pm met several other solo travelers. We all planned to meet the next day for lunch at the Summer Palace this meal was my second favorite I had clam chowder delish, greek salad okay, shrimp penne pasta that was a bit spicy delish. That night we all met at Lotus Garden for dinner. I had pot stickers okay over cooked and spicy seafood udon noodles delish. After that we went to the show with Nicola Ward she was fantastic.

We were also on this cruise - all we kept hearing from Seattle to Victoria on every excursion was how good the weather was. I met a couple of ladies in the spa that were also traveling solo. They talked about the Lotus Garden dinner.