Finding an experienced travel agent for first cruise...........

tulsanurse1

Our first cruise we found the itinerary we wanted, Sydney to Honolulu, I called the cruise line and booked it. It was simple.

Some people need and want travel agents, some don't.

Many folks (myself included) do their own research and use TAs only for added perks (e.g., commission sharing, gratuities, etc) and representation for problem solving (with cruise lines that benefit from millions of dollars via their bookings).

On premium/luxury lines, a 3+ weeks Sydney-Hawaii trip in a balcony cabin might translate to $2k+\- in TA refundable OBC (in addition to the cruise line's best deal/perks). Why anyone would not use the "right" TA in that situation and, instead, book direct makes zero sense.

Our first cruise we found the itinerary we wanted, Sydney to Honolulu, I called the cruise line and booked it. It was simple.

Some people need and want travel agents, some don't.

I used to always do that too--until my last cruise when I read on Cruise Critic about how TAs can add extra benefits. I called one and got an extra $300 in OBC for the same cruise, same cabin, same price. Now I do my own research then contact a TA and see what can be added.

Some consortia, depending on the cruise, will add OBC, or a free shore excursion, cocktail party, or--as noted above, free gratuities.

Also, even if you have already booked it yourself, depending on the cruise line, if you authorize it, the TA can transfer the reservation--so nothing changes for you except you get more stuff --and personal service from a TA if things go awry.

To me, it is worth it to choose the cruise and then send the itinerary to a good TA and see what they can do to enhance it. Only takes a few minutes to send an email.

I used to always do that too--until my last cruise when I read on Cruise Critic about how TAs can add extra benefits. I called one and got an extra $300 in OBC for the same cruise, same cabin, same price. Now I do my own research then contact a TA and see what can be added.

Some consortia, depending on the cruise, will add OBC, or a free shore excursion, cocktail party, or--as noted above, free gratuities.

Also, even if you have already booked it yourself, depending on the cruise line, if you authorize it, the TA can transfer the reservation--so nothing changes for you except you get more stuff --and personal service from a TA if things go awry.

To me, it is worth it to choose the cruise and then send the itinerary to a good TA and see what they can do to enhance it. Only takes a few minutes to send an email.

Yes- "consortia" perks (added to TA perks) can be very nice, particularly since some of the consortia have preferred partnerships with specific cruise lines.

And "book onboard" on certain cruise lines gets you additional cabin cost savings along with "price match" guarantee and OBC - all of which can be transferred to a TA who adds the commission sharing and and consortia add-ons.

And it doesn't hurt to comparison shop TAs with an onboard booking in hand (as long as you make the transfer to TA w/I the allowable time window (e.g., 30 days)).

For example: we've got a 33 day S.A. cruise starting in February on our preferred premium line. Book Onboard price saved us about $1000 (plus added $200 added OBC on the current cruise and a "price drop match" guarantee) and included the line's usual perks (in this case, another $1600 in OBC plus other amenities). We then shopped around among our usual TAs (and a few competitors) for best added TA deal and a week later transferred to a TA that added $800 in refundable OBC and consortia coverage of gratuities (approx $1000 value).

So, bottom line in this particular case is that adding a TA to the mix more than doubled the cruise line's initial incentives.

"No brainer" as to whether or not to use a TA, particularly on a "big ticket"'cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes- "consortia" perks (added to TA perks) can be very nice, particularly since some of the consortia have preferred partnerships with specific cruise lines. And "book onboard" on certain cruise lines get you additional cabin cost savings along with "price match" guarantee and OBC - all of which can be transferred to a TA who adds the commission sharing and ant consortia add-ons.

You and I are on the same wavelength! I don't understand why someone would not reach out and send an email or two and find out what a TA can add...

I confess I have become a bit of an OBC junkie--between what I got from cruise line (we booked during a big early sale), the TA (in consortia), the "book on board" we bought on last cruise, and the stockholder benefit, we will have $1400 in OBC on our next 14 day cruise...that should well cover drinking, some tours, gratuities, and probably a nice trip to the jewelry shop :)