Currency in Mexican ports

KSueOz

I have been purchasing MEX Pesos from my local bank, for our last few trips to Mexico and any leftovers are kept aside for the next trip, as we seem to go every year or so.

It’s not really required, yes US Dollars are fully accepted and many stores have prices posted in MEX and USD.

Since we are Canadian, I find it easier to do the math calculations in my head to go from to CAD Dollars to MEX Pesos to really know what I’m paying for a service or an item. When we were taking US Dollars, there was just too much math involved...for me,.... from CAD to USD then to MEX, was wayyyyy to much thinking involved when I’m trying to barter for a “deal”....I have found quite often paying in Pesos is a slightly better price as the exchange rate fluctuates daily plus it seems more “vacation “ when paying in the local currency.

I even keep a business card sized paper in my pocket so I can quickly see ...20 Pesos = ____. 50 Pesos = _____ and such.

I have been purchasing MEX Pesos from my local bank, for our last few trips to Mexico and any leftovers are kept aside for the next trip, as we seem to go every year or so.

It’s not really required, yes US Dollars are fully accepted and many stores have prices posted in MEX and USD.

Since we are Canadian, I find it easier to do the math calculations in my head to go from to CAD Dollars to MEX Pesos to really know what I’m paying for a service or an item. When we were taking US Dollars, there was just too much math involved...for me,.... from CAD to USD then to MEX, was wayyyyy to much thinking involved when I’m trying to barter for a “deal”....I have found quite often paying in Pesos is a slightly better price as the exchange rate fluctuates daily plus it seems more “vacation “ when paying in the local currency.

I even keep a business card sized paper in my pocket so I can quickly see ...20 Pesos = ____. 50 Pesos = _____ and such.

XE app on your phone.

With data, it is updated daily to the current real exchange rate.

But buying foreign currency from your bank, typically costs you a healthy fee. Both in the exchange rate, as well as typically a currency exchange fee.

In most cases, it is best to get local currency out of an ATM in that country.

XE app on your phone.

With data, it is updated daily to the current real exchange rate.

But buying foreign currency from your bank, typically costs you a healthy fee. Both in the exchange rate, as well as typically a currency exchange fee.

In most cases, it is best to get local currency out of an ATM in that country.

I noted the poster is a fellow Canadian and similar to us probably does not pay any exchange fees to purchase foreign currency. Can't speak for US Banks but Royal Bank of Canada does not charge any exchange fee. Rates vary depending on amount exchanged and non-cash gets a slightly better rate than cash exchanges.

From experience, we tend to get better rates from RBC than using foreign ATM's, especially considering the fees many of them charge. RBC also tends to provide some of the best exchange rates.

I noted the poster is a fellow Canadian and similar to us probably does not pay any exchange fees to purchase foreign currency. Can't speak for US Banks but Royal Bank of Canada does not charge any exchange fee. Rates vary depending on amount exchanged and non-cash gets a slightly better rate than cash exchanges.

From experience, we tend to get better rates from RBC than using foreign ATM's, especially considering the fees many of them charge. RBC also tends to provide some of the best exchange rates.

Have you compared the exchange rate to the bank rate?

Banks are businesses. They MAKE money. So they sell you foreign cash for more than the bank rate, then buy it back for less than the bank rate.

Same like money changers, no fee? No problem, they just jack the buy and sell rates. :D

I have found VERY few foreign ATMs charging fees. That seems to be a very North American thing.

Have you compared the exchange rate to the bank rate?

Banks are businesses. They MAKE money. So they sell you foreign cash for more than the bank rate, then buy it back for less than the bank rate.

Same like money changers, no fee? No problem, they just jack the buy and sell rates. :D

I have found VERY few foreign ATMs charging fees. That seems to be a very North American thing.

Affirmative, have compared rates & RBC generally provides the best rates. Even family/friends when coming from UK bring Sterling and I exchange at local bank. They get at least 1 or 2 cents better rate.

We have stops in Loreto, La Paz, and Cabo San Lucas, departing from San Diego. Will we need pesos?

You will not “need” Pesos, but will generally get better prices with them. I have traveled both ways. On a cruise with brief stops I do not use other than dollars in small bills. When we go to PV for a week I will get Pesos at an ATM as well as using CC for larger purchases. It is all a matter of time and convenience.

Canadian CIBC bank charges $5 plus 2.5% for using international ATM, plus you take the chance of your card and account being scammed or your card being captured by the ATM machine for so many different reasons.....neither are risks risks we are willing to take. The majority of our foreign cash stays in the safe, bringing with us to shore only what we may need, with a credit card hidden in an inside pocket for emergencies only.

Affirmative, have compared rates & RBC generally provides the best rates. Even family/friends when coming from UK bring Sterling and I exchange at local bank. They get at least 1 or 2 cents better rate.

Better than the bank rate at the ATM?

If so, then you can MAKE money off of exchanging back and forth with them.

Canadian CIBC bank charges $5 plus 2.5% for using international ATM, plus you take the chance of your card and account being scammed or your card being captured by the ATM machine for so many different reasons.....neither are risks risks we are willing to take. The majority of our foreign cash stays in the safe, bringing with us to shore only what we may need, with a credit card hidden in an inside pocket for emergencies only.

Find a new bank. :D But I am sure, they are charging you a similar amount to sell you pesos or other currency.

I have used my cards to withdraw cash in around 140 countries, over a period of more than 20 years.

I have never had my card scammed doing so. The times my card has been scammed, it has been in the US.

I did have my card eaten by an ATM once. I contacted the bank, they sent someone to the ATM, opened it and returned my card. They had no idea why it had been eaten. But anyway, I carry more than one card.

I have had a card blocked. Really stupid, it is the card I used to travel for work. Other than to and from the airport here, and maybe some cash out, all the other transactions are outside the US. So I am traveling from Luanda Angola, and have to overnight in Johannesburg. I try to check in, the card does not work. We try a couple of times, so I check in with a personal card. I call the credit card company. They tell me the blocked the card for possible fraud. I ask why. Because I used the card that morning in Angola, and then the same day tried to use it in South Africa. So I asked the agent if they had ever heard of AIRPLANES. They asked why? I said because, I checked out of my hotel in Angola, got on an AIRPLANE, and go off in South Africa, and tried to check into a hotel there. They said, "Oh, so the card is not stolen?" STUPID.

Do you need Peso's in Mexican Ports often becomes a topic here on these boards.

OP listed La Paz as one of the stops. Here is what will happen.

The Ship will dock North of La Paz and then the passengers will board a bus for a ride into town. The bus of course will stop at Terminal Turistica, La Paz B.C.S. That is where the fun will start.

As passenger hop off the bus and head for the Rest Rooms they encounter a coin operated turnstile that will not take Credit Cards or USD. It will only take Mexican Peso coins.

Since we seem to take cruise down to Mexico about every other year, we save the change for the next trip. My wife had bag of change in her purse so we had no problems at the turnstile.

I was sitting on a bench watching passengers come in on another bus and then mill around in circles while deciding what to do, then take off down town to try and find another rest room.

Bob

I cruise to Mexico a lot and while touristy places gladly accept dollars, they’ll give you a really bad exchange rate when you pay with them. We simply stop at the nearest ATM and withdraw pesos. You get more bang for your buck, and you don’t have to worry about checking out local food stands, markets, etc. when you have a pocket full of pesos. Enjoy Mexico! It’s a great country to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums