Has anybody had bed bugs on a carnival cruise before?

Carleeb12

This is a huge fear for me too!!

When my family stays in a hotel, they laugh at my inspection routine!!

Glad to know that I am not the only one with an inspection routine! My brother in law stayed in a VERY nice NYC hotel a few years ago and came home with bedbugs galore in his suitcase. It took my sister in law forever to get rid of them out of her home. Now whenever we check into a hotel I have to take up the corners of each fitted sheet and inspect the mattresses, and we keep everything off the floor and in garbage bags. My sister in law now has a black light and I was considering bringing it on the cruise.

I really hope everyone says no.

Personally never experienced BedBugs, but they have been found on cruise ships, this is Carnival's Detection and treatment plan

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3275/~/detection-and-treatment-plan-for-bedbugs

Bedbugs are small parasitic insects that are typically brought aboard cruise ships in guests’ luggage.

Carnival Cruise Lines has extensive procedures and protocols for the detection and treatment of bedbugs.All stateroom stewards are trained to recognize the possible presence of bedbugs and are required to conduct weekly inspections of every cabin. Inspections cover not only stateroom beds but also curtains, carpeting and other areas.

If signs of infestation are present, the room is chemically treated along with all other cabins within that section.

Frequent re-inspection continues for the next several months.

When ships are taken out of service for their routine maintenance period, all staterooms receive an extensive pest control treatment at that time, as well.

Just wondering. I know they are prevalent in hotels, so I assume the same can be said for cruise ships?

Hi Carleeb

Another funny sort of question posted on the Carnival thread.

You have been on a few Carnival cruises, have you ever seen any? We haven't.

Maybe you should ask this question on the general Ask a question threads, or some of the other cruise line threads, to get a better sampling.

hope this helps

Possibly. One cruise on the first morning my daughter woke up with bites on her legs. So she wouldn't freak out, we told her she must have been bit by a spider. We told our room steward and they immediately replaced the beds and thoroughly cleaned everything. Kudos to Carnival with the precautions they took.

We had bed bugs on our first Carnival cruise 5 years ago. They were found by the room steward. We were immediately moved to a new room, received complimentary laundry, 50 percent of our cruise back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. I credit the bed bugs for us being such big fans of Carnival, if it wasn't for that future cruise certificate we might have not cruised again but now we've gone every year since. We had some bites, we survived. We check very carefully now. We didn't then, if we had of I'm sure we would have seen some evidence because we ended up with a lot of bites. But we had a delayed reaction to the bites so if the room steward hadn't have moved us we would have literally been none the wiser until we got home. I don't blame Carnival. It's a constant battle I assume for any hotel or ship because people bring them onboard with them.

We had bed bugs on our first Carnival cruise 5 years ago. They were found by the room steward. We were immediately moved to a new room, received complimentary laundry, 50 percent of our cruise back and a 50% off future cruise certificate. I credit the bed bugs for us being such big fans of Carnival, if it wasn't for that future cruise certificate we might have not cruised again but now we've gone every year since. We had some bites, we survived. We check very carefully now. We didn't then, if we had of I'm sure we would have seen some evidence because we ended up with a lot of bites. But we had a delayed reaction to the bites so if the room steward hadn't have moved us we would have literally been none the wiser until we got home. I don't blame Carnival. It's a constant battle I assume for any hotel or ship because people bring them onboard with them.

This actually eases my mind! To know that Carnival takes this issue so seriously! Thanks for sharing.

Occasionally , very occasionally , you get a post claiming bed bugs on a ship . They have always come from 1 hit wonders . I have never seen any claims of bb's from a CC user with more then a few posts .

Well, let me be your first. On our last back to back in November 2016, we didn't unpack on embarkation day. Next morning when we went to unpack, there were 4 of the critters in one drawer...all dead. We put them in a baggie and took pictures, then took them down to guest services. We pulled them off to the side so no one would hear. We asked that they fix it and check the room over. They asked if we had been bitten (no and the bugs we found were dead) and assured us they have a special pest treatment team to handle the problem. They showed up 30 minutes later, so we left so they could do their job. When we returned, it looked like nothing had been touched. We pulled all the drawers out and saw they had put a bug trap behind the drawers. We took a picture of that, too. They also left our door open (we thought maybe for fumigation, but no...), which is another story.

We went back down to guest services and asked for the manager. The officer head of hotel services came. We told him we were going to be in that room for 14 more days and had just asked them to check it over thoroughly. He said they were not allowed to disturb the room when customer stuff was in there. I said you have my permission to turn the room upside down to check it. He said he would go with the team and make sure it was done properly. When we returned to the room two hours later, it was obvious the room had been completely undone and put back together. The sheets were crispy brand new, like we got to use them even before the captain.

We didn't ask for anything and they gave us nothing...well except crispy new sheets on the bed for the rest of the cruise.

Nope, nor on any other line. (somewhere between 20-30 cruises). Also, I've traveled fairly extensively for both work and leisure, as has my hubby (more than I have, for work, in particular), and we've never had the "pleasure" of encountering bbugs. (knock wood).