SHould I bring a gift for my room Steward when I arrive?

kycruiser307

I went on a cruise with my Sister last year and she had already pre-made one dollar bills in heart shapes that had like a little flower design right in the middle of the heart. I bet she had at least $100 of one dollar bills that she passed out as tips. The crew was so amazed and appreciated them so much.Just a thought.

Knew how to do it way back. But never, ever, done it for a tip. Thank you for sharing the idea.

While I completely agree that money is best and is the only thing we have ever given, any gift given out of a truly thankful heart is never wrong. Therefore I don't believe we should criticize those just trying to do something nice, even if it is not the best choice in this situation.

Although every ship is different, a written mention by name either through guest services or the survey after is far more valuable than any gift (this is of course on top of the normal tips). On one cruise I was on crew where able to bid on perks based on the number of compliments they received. Our favourite bar tender was able to get an unused cabin for the duration of the cruise. A huge perk of privacy and comfort. They were really happy too since this was a 12 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We asked for ice and extra towels daily so gave her $20 the first day, in addition to the auto tip. Left $20 more the last night at turn down service. We feel cash is the best gift to give them for their service.

We do the same but we have increased our last night's tip add on for stewards that really addressed our wants and needs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

while i completely agree that money is best and is the only thing we have ever given, any gift given out of a truly thankful heart is never wrong. Therefore i don't believe we should criticize those just trying to do something nice, even if it is not the best choice in this situation.

agree 100%!

I have heard people say be sure to bring a gift for your room Steward to present to them when you arrive, because they make very little money and work so hard, and have so little, or to guarantee great service... I have heard suggestions of Int'l phone cards, candy bars, snacks,gift representing your home state, etc... and others say they don't want your stuff they have all the food and snacks they want and phone cards... Just give them CASH. What do you all think? WHat do you do? I will be on Carnival Sensation and I plan to tip but this is in addition to the tips.

An extra tip at the END of the cruise for good service is a very nice gesture. No need to tip in advance.

We give cash to the steward when they bring the ice bucket and ice that we request at the beginning of the cruise. We also leave cash, along with the laundry bag, when we send out laundry. And, we give extra cash at the end of the cruise.

When a staff member goes out of their way for us in a good way, we go down to Guest Services and request some paper and write a note to their supervisor and leave it with GS. . We have been advised by crew members that positive letters to their supervisor helps them the most as far as career advancement. Since neither my husband nor I have received a comment card for the last 10 cruises we have taken, we make sure to give those who go above and beyond the kudos they deserve while we are on the ship. In one case we sailed the same ship twice in 2 months. On the second cruise the crew member thanked us for the letter we had written to her supervisor on the previous cruise. She had been given some extra time off and a bonus.

We give cash to the steward when they bring the ice bucket and ice that we request at the beginning of the cruise. We also leave cash, along with the laundry bag, when we send out laundry. And, we give extra cash at the end of the cruise.

When a staff member goes out of their way for us in a good way, we go down to Guest Services and request some paper and write a note to their supervisor and leave it with GS. . We have been advised by crew members that positive letters to their supervisor helps them the most as far as career advancement. Since neither my husband nor I have received a comment card for the last 10 cruises we have taken, we make sure to give those who go above and beyond the kudos they deserve while we are on the ship. In one case we sailed the same ship twice in 2 months. On the second cruise the crew member thanked us for the letter we had written to her supervisor on the previous cruise. She had been given some extra time off and a bonus.

How wonderful - for her, for her loved ones back home, and for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been giving gifts to crew members on all ships I sail for seveal years, and they are well received. I see the crew members using items I gave them a few years ago, so not all gifts are wrong.

If you choose the right gifts they remember and appreciate it. Sone even ask me if they can take extras for their family and or friends.

I always tip cash. Last couple of cruises I have given my bar staff chocolates too. (All the bar staff at home love chocolate!) (just little individually wrapped ones) I also give away my chocolate strawberries that I get as diamond. One cruise I offered them up, but they weren't good, so I went and bought some at the coffee shop.

On my last cruise, I was going to see a bartender who I have cruised with 4 times already, and she loves a certain lipstick that is a little hard to find now. I bought her 2 of them, and surprised her with them. I told her and others that I will let them know when I am sailing with her again, and if there is anything that they need and is hard for them to get, to let me know. Their time off is so limited, and getting to a mall store like Sephora could be a challenge.

but for someone you never met, I would just give cash.