Unfriendly gays on cruises

tennboy1981

Hmmm...here’s my perspective.

I talk to strangers for a living...I have no interest in doing that on vacation too. Not snobby...just trying to unwind and have fun. I also don’t seek out gay-centric activities....I enjoy the things I’m interested in, which has no relevance on my (or anyone else’s) sexual orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally understand that feeling (which is why I hate phones - will text first)

But it is fun from time to time to being in such environment but I really am not interested in, as another user stated "Gay Tax"

We’ve met friendly people on cruise, both straight and gay....we’ve met unfriendly people on cruise, both straight and gay....we are going to have fun regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amen to that!!

It is difficult for me to imagine not having fun when ...

1. Cell phones locked in safe

2. No internet (no emails or IM's)

3. No work

4. Work can't call me or email me

5. Cocktails & Wine

6. No cooking

7. No house work, yard work, Honey Do Lists

8. Great Food

9. Good Book While sipping that wine

10. My husband right beside me

• Like 3

Never met or saw any “unfriendly” gay cruisers on any trips we’ve taken. We smile and say hello, it’s always been reciprocated in kind. I have, however, come across a couple guys that were way “too friendly” (ahem), where we’ve had to politely excuse ourselves and walk away.

• Haha 1

Never met or saw any “unfriendly” gay cruisers on any trips we’ve taken. We smile and say hello, it’s always been reciprocated in kind. I have, however, come across a couple guys that were way “too friendly” (ahem), where we’ve had to politely excuse ourselves and walk away.

Were they in the sauna? :')

Amen to that!!

It is difficult for me to imagine not having fun when ...

1. Cell phones locked in safe

2. No internet (no emails or IM's)

3. No work

4. Work can't call me or email me

5. Cocktails & Wine

6. No cooking

7. No house work, yard work, Honey Do Lists

8. Great Food

9. Good Book While sipping that wine

10. My husband right beside me

Oh, you found my gay agenda for my upcoming cruise...boarding on Jan 31!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want this to sound like a rant, but it kinda sorta is. Has anyone noticed the influx of unfriendly gay couples on cruises? I mean I can sort of understand why a lot of gay couples are unfriendly or maybe dismissive. Maybe they are on a honeymoon, or just want a vacation together without any other men in the way, but it just sucks when you try to interact with other gay men on a "straight" cruise, and they just put their nose in the air at you.

Maybe it has to do with the cruise line? I was on a Carnival cruise about 2 weeks a go out of Jacksonville, FL. I saw very few gay couples, but the ones I did see, they were just all snobbish and dismissive. I just thought to myself "Umm guys this is a Carnival cruise, don't know where the snobbish attitude is coming from". Who knows, maybe I booked the cruise for insecure gay couples? Maybe Carnival specializes in a different type of gay? It was a shame. The LGBT get together, NO ONE showed up except me and one other gay man. Of course we were both single and we chatted for a while, but he turned out to be a weirdo....Im guessing there just isnt a lot of gay men who travel with Carnival....and of course its easy to figure out why.....

I went on a Norwegian cruise in 2015 and I met the coolest group of gay people. We had a group of us who got together every night, a couple times for dinner, it was the coolest thing ever. No one felt insecure or stuck up....it was awesome....but idk, this last cruise, just was bad.

So I'm probably going to be told its Carnival...and Im sure thats a big reason why.

My gaydar doesn't seem to work so unless there is an LGB person with a big sign I likely won't notice. However, I talk with everyone when we are on cruises so if you are LGB I likely talked to you whether I knew that you were LGB or not.

My gaydar doesn't seem to work so unless there is an LGB person with a big sign I likely won't notice. However, I talk with everyone when we are on cruises so if you are LGB I likely talked to you whether I knew that you were LGB or not.

The funny part is I have never meet anyone whom's gaydar DID work LOL.

Some people used to wear pink triangles. Now it's rainbow flags. That should help you.

Ha, no you don’t have to, anyone with a reasonably working gaydar can figure it out. The sauna is a good place to chat to people anyway, gay or straight and certainly gay couples become pretty obvious.

Try it out, it’s not a seedy bath house, just guys who like to sweat!

Kind of sounds like a place for "hookups". Sorry, not our thing. We don't cruise to meet couples. If we do, fine. If not, fine as well. We got off the Riviera 10 days ago. Met a few couples. Some were friendly, others not so. Really didn't care.

This is a rather depressing thread but sadly I can agree with many of the experiences.

We shall still cruise, smile and say hello to everyone but especially fellow LGBT guests and hope that they smile back!

NCL gatherings have always been better in our experience and of course the ships sauna is always another good meeting place.

Waldorf, did NCL arrange the LGBTQ meet and greet or did a pax do it?

I will practice smiling.

Edited by zitsky

This thread inspired my partner and I to go to the LGBT meet up on the Norwegian Dawn. There were about 5 or six other people there though I did see other gay people on board that did not attend. The timing of the meet up was bad...every night at 9:00 which conflicted with shows/events/dinner almost every night. We had a good time and always stopped and chatted with the people we had met when we ran into them on board. We got "knowing" nods and smiles from other LGBT people on board as well. Met wonderful people on this cruise from all walks of life.

... The timing of the meet up was bad...every night at 9:00 which conflicted with shows/events/dinner almost every night. ...

That has been my complaint ... us old married folk, our candles only burns at one end because the other end wick broke off LOL

Edited by balkor2

That has been my complaint ... us old married folk, our candles only burns at one end because the other end wick broke off LOL

My last CCL Facination cruise event was scheduled each night at 1030PM. I managed to stay up the first night and not a single person showed. Que sera sera.

Waldorf, did NCL arrange the LGBTQ meet and greet or did a pax do it?

I will practice smiling.

NCL scheduled the gatherings in the daily newsletter. On Jade it was in the Star Bar, nice and quiet and friendly bar staff.

My last CCL Facination cruise event was scheduled each night at 1030PM. I managed to stay up the first night and not a single person showed. Que sera sera.

I have started roll calls for the next cruises in the G & L but no one really has posted anything ...

If peeps wanted to join (at a hour that is not when events, excursions, dinner, and is not past our bedtimes LOL) just need to speak up :D

but ya when my employment has me up before the sun thinks of rising .. it is difficult to be up at midnight.

• 3 weeks later...

People have lots of reasons for not wanting to mingle. When we are traveling with a mixed group of friends, we are less likely to want to split off and meet new people, gay or otherwise. We don’t always attend the GLBT gatherings because the odd time we have, they have either been great or there have been very few people there but among the few were some “interesting” folk, including those who were rude or cruisy to the staff, who can do nothing about it whether the clumsy overtures were welcome or not. There have also been some who were aggressively cruisy toward us (and I’d call us extra average looking) in ways that were unwelcome and awkward to shut down. We have met people who tend to get clingy, also. One of the funniest oddballs we met, we did so with no plan at all to attend the GLBT gathering. We were walking past the lounge where it was happening and the lone attendee yelled at us from the bar, saying “THE GAY GATHERING IS IN HERE!” We also once met a man who was traveling with his mother, who thought the Friends of Dorothy party was for her, that being her name. She was thrilled. That said, all these interesting folk are in the minority. Most are nice enough to meet and if we do meet other folks, gay or straight, it adds to the memory.

• Like 1

OP: It's not just limited to whilst being on a cruise ship! We've encountered similar behavior under a variety of situations. W're a middle aged, professional couple. Maybe others feel we're too old/young, too educated/uneducated, too sophisticated/unsophisticated....you get it. When sexual orientation is the only common denominator, some probably feel that's not enough. But I agree..... at least get to meet someone before you pass judgement.

Edited by donnatello

True. Attitude can be found on and off a ship. We had actually gone to a land based LGBT Cruise Critic meet/greet in midtown Manhattan several years ago. Found ourselves surrounded by a bunch of guys that all seemed to one up each other in terms of their cruise line status, cabin types/preferences, how often they cruise, etc. If nothing else, the conversations amused us.