Christmas on Seabourn or Silverseas?

sarahjane01

So I am looking at doing a holiday cruise on Seabourn this year - its the sister ship to the Sojourn that we were on last Christmas. The only drag is that its not out of Florida its out of St Marten. So as an alternative I have found a cruise on Silverseas Silver Spirit out of Ft Lauderdale.

Looking for opinions on Silverseas. We LOVED Seabourn so my questions are:

Whats the staff to customer ratio on Silverseas?

Are the suites as nice as Seabourn?

Whats the age group like on Silverseas? Seabourn had hardly any kids onboard which we loved as we have no kids - not that I am against kids but we did enjoy the adult only environment onboard.

Quality of ship compared to Seabourn?

Dress codes - similar to Seabourn? Formal nights etc?

Any other reviews or comments would be good.

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah, I just want to comment on a couple of the items.

Silversea sails a wide range of ships representing several different sizes so I would try to note what ship(s) you are considering as they vary widely.

As to age on Silversea it varies based on where you are sailing and length of cruise so I would note that.

Silversea is more dressy but how many formals they have varies by length of cruise and alternatives to this varies by ship as some of their restaurants on formal night adhere to a informal attire (eg., sports jacket for gents) versus formal attire.

The suites also vary based on ship.

Keith

Hi

It’s the Silverseas Spirit on a two week Caribbean cruise. We had 2 formal nights on the Seabourn cruise which was also a two week cruise in the Caribbean over Christmas. Of course it was always fairly dressy on other nights -def no shorts after six pm . Ladies wearing cruise casual or better and gents in anything from slacks to suits.

When you say dressier could you give me an idea?

I also heard silverseas rooms are smaller than Seabourn?

Thanks for your help in advance

Sarah

Sarah, we sailed Silver Spirit in 2009.

For a 14 day cruise you can expect three formal, seven informal and four casual nights although this can vary by voyage. Informal would be sports jackets for men and dresses or some type of fancy outfit for women.

On formal nights you can dine at La Terrazza which in the evening is their Italian Specialty Restaurant or Seishin their Japanese Restaurant or Stars and the dress would be informal.

In terms of the size suites on Silver Spirit I would recommend going to their website where you can see the sizes of the suites.

We took a standard suite with verandah and found it had sufficient space for us.

It has been several years since we last sailed Seabourn and sailed Silversea more recently. We found the ages of the guests about the same on both lines although as I said that will vary based on where you are sailing and the length of the cruise. Whether it was coincidental or not we found on Silversea that we pretty much dined by ourselves whereas on Seabourn we ended up dining with others more often then not but I would not draw conclusions on that.

I would also post this on the Silversea board so you can get more people to chime in who might have sailed both lines but mainly visit the Silversea Board.

I find Silversea to now be one of the more dressier lines since they still go with three types of evening attire. Even on short cruises they might have one formal night although as I mentioned you could go to a restaurant where informal attire is the recommended dress.

Keith

I would also consider the rest of the itinerary in making my decision, not just the port of embarkation. After all, you'll be spending two weeks on board and which islands you visit can make a big difference.