Waiting list for Accessible Cabins

Rick Knee

We booked over the phone with a TA after searching for itineraries we wanted both times we were able to get an accessible cabin (in fact the same cabin both times on NCL Gem) and have our room reserved rather than just GTY booking at the time we called.

Having been in a standard cabin there is no way my husband's chair would even go through the door so we make sure and if there were no accessible cabins we'd choose another cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I have read that it is Cunard too :( We have fewer options available as I can only depart from Southampton UK.
I can confirm that Cunard also operate this policy and the letter I recieved stated that anyone turning up with a mobility scooter or large wheelchair that has not reserved an adapted cabin will not be allowed to board.

I am just the messenger regarding this but when I applied for a cabin I had to jump through lots of hoops to get approval. The cabin and balcony look amazing, so much respect to Cunard for catering for folks that would otherwise not be able to enjoy this type of holiday.

• 4 years later...
How are you searching for HC cabins? Cruise line site? TA site? Phone to cruise line?

I/We search only on the actual Cruise line site, although we use our TA to book it. The one thing I have notices on some sites is if a cabin will accomodate 3 or more persons, and you are stating 2 per cabin, the cabins for 3 or more will not show as available. I run searches for 2, 3 and 4. If one is available with say 3 person booking, the cruise line must "release" the cabin for booking of 2 people. Some sites only open cabins when speeking personally with an agent. I seem to remember that Carnival blocks all HC cabins, and you must call an agent to check on availability. One of the many reasons we do not sail Carnival.

Thank you so much for the tip! This worked on Royal Caribbean tonight! So grateful.:)

If unsold HC cabins are released to the general public and the cruiseline then has a request for a HC cabin does the cruiseline request this cabin is released and move someone to another cabin (if available).

once the cut off date has passed and any unsold HA cabins are released to the general public, thats it. first come first served. that's why the vast majority of people who truly need a HA cabin will book as soon as the itinerary is released. the cruise line has no requirement to contact the occupants of that cabin and request that they move, or to move them unilaterally just because some one calls and requests a specific type of cabin. nor does the passenger have any obligation accept the request, regardless of their physical status.

as for the person who claims that unworthy people booked a HA cabin.. just as a corollary about the complaint that handicapped people travel with families.. just because you saw 2-3 people 'walking in and out of cabin' does not mean that there is a person who IS in a WC or ECV also in that cabin.

or myself.. who last cruise traveled 3 month post op from a hip replacement. still under surgery protocol restrictions: no steps. , grab bars and raised toilet seat. outside of the cabin on board I didn't use my cane at all. ( did at port calls, just in case)

once the cut off date has passed and any unsold HA cabins are released to the general public, thats it. first come first served. that's why the vast majority of people who truly need a HA cabin will book as soon as the itinerary is released. the cruise line has no requirement to contact the occupants of that cabin and request that they move, or to move them unilaterally just because some one calls and requests a specific type of cabin. nor does the passenger have any obligation accept the request, regardless of their physical status.

as for the person who claims that unworthy people booked a HA cabin.. just as a corollary about the complaint that handicapped people travel with families.. just because you saw 2-3 people 'walking in and out of cabin' does not mean that there is a person who IS in a WC or ECV also in that cabin.

or myself.. who last cruise traveled 3 month post op from a hip replacement. still under surgery protocol restrictions: no steps. , grab bars and raised toilet seat. outside of the cabin on board I didn't use my cane at all. ( did at port calls, just in case)

Though your information is much appreciated, the post written by JLS Pebble was posted on Posted June Posted June 9th, 2013.