Airline Question

Flight from AUK-SYD is a breeze, depending on type of aircraft and winds, roughly 3 hours, a meal a drink and a movie and thou art there.

About 5 years ago we came back from AUK on an Emirates A380, big tail wind and fast aircraft, 2 hours and 45 minutes, almost a record. Cabin crew really had to rush through the full international meal service, dessert got thrown at us as we did the landing descent into Steak and Kidney.:rolleyes:I missed out on the cognac.

My daughter and her family (including two very young children) recently flew back from Wellington to Brisbane on Air NZ. After a couple of hours' delay because of high winds they finally took off. They hadn't had breakfast but, being an international flight, there would be a meal wouldn't there? No. Not unless you bought it. To make it worse, security had confiscated the cooler bags she had to keep the toddlers' milk cold. BTW, she had taken them from home on their initial flight. There also was no inflight entertainment in Economy, only in the front of the plane. She arrived in Brisbane rather stressed.

Code share perhaps?

Air NZ do code share with Virgin. a few years ago coming back from UK, we had booked Air NZ but were on Virgin Atlantic Flight LHR to San Francisco, had a week there then onto a real Air NZ aircraft SF-AUK-Syd. Pretty good Virgin Atlantic and Air NZ.:p

Plinty of Lemb on Air NZ from memory Bro, Roast Lemb SF to AUK and a Lemb and Munt pie AUK-SYD.

Qantas has a larger baggage allowance than Air New Zealand and they provide a meal as standard unlike Air NZ which you have to pay for

Yes a bit poor Air NZ not providing a feed in 'sheep class' on the NZ -AUS flights, surely a munted lemb pie would not be too much to ask for?:')

If you have travelled into NZ say from USA on Air NZ then got onto connecting flight to say Sydney, you will get a feed, we got breakfast on AUK-SYD sector, LAX/AUK/SYD

Having been on several Airlines, Qantas, Air NZ, Singapore, Cathay, Virgin, Thai, IMO Qantas is over rated, lazy cabin crew and way overpriced. The main reason reason Aussies fly with Qainta..e is because they have not had a decent crash.:')

For instance in a couple of months we are flying Cathay Pacific Business Class to LHR and return to Syd, Boeing 777-300ER @ $5,500. What does our national carrier demand for same return flight? Can you believe $8000. Come in Spinner.:evilsmile:

Our last Qantas international flight in April last year, KH-Syd, was a shocker, old Boeing 747 circa 1974, broken seat, even in in business class, lazy, incompetent mostly, cabin crew, ordinary tucker.

I would if I had to fly Qantas interstate as we have quite a few Qantas FF points, but never long haul with them.

I thought it was just me:D. We just returned home to Canada after several weeks in Australia and flew domestically a number of times with Qantas. We all kept saying, why is there so much hype about this airline? As you said, both the crew and the desk agents came off as very lazy, unconcerned, and often, snippy. Which really hasn’t been our experience with Aussies in general the three times we’ve been there. The planes were filthy and boarding was bedlam with no organization whatsoever. They bumped my niece off our connecting flight when arriving from LAX and connecting to Melbourne saying the international connection time was too short even though four more of us on the same flights didn’t get bumped. They also didn’t point it out when we rechecked all our bags after clearing customs. Just told her she needed a new boarding pass and we discovered it at the gate as we went to board that they had reassigned her to a flight 2 hours later. Earlier boarding pass had correct flight. It was bizarre really.