The most beauiful, calm and clear water beach in Antiqua sugestion

redmug

Hello everyone,

I need a suggestion on the most beautiful, calm and clear water beach in Antigua, just for swimming. I am not interested in any kind of water sports or excursions.

I also would like to know the best and most economical way to get to the beach from the ship and back : by a taxi, bus, small boat or catamaran and how much would it cost.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I took the bus to Jolly Beach, it was very inexpensive and easy to do.

Hi Hannibal - Curious to know if you caught a town bus/van and if so how far a walk from cruise terminal to get one,; Also I understand that all beaches in Antigua are free. Were you able to forego the $75 US resort fee and just enjoy the beach. Is there also a bus that you can catch to get back aboard in a timely way?

The photos and video below are from Jolly Beach.

We came off the ship and walked into the sea of taxi drivers. Our negotiated taxi rate was $30 round trip for the four of us. They will quote higher and immediately discount if you start to walk toward the bus. The ride was about 20 minutes. We did not pay up front and arranged a pickup time with the driver. I think the two chairs and umbrella were $25, and we probably could have negotiated that too.

29191979936_0241f3983e_z.jpg

29117822972_894aea7302_z.jpg

28938032650_35e1b7677f_z.jpg

[YOUTUBE]OpKy0UXD3TQ[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi to Jolly Beach the day after Christmas. Our original plan was to go to Valley Church but our driver said that beach was a bit over crowded so he took us to Jolly Beach. We thought the water was so blue and beautiful (sunny weather probably helped) and the waves were super calm. We were able to rent two chairs and an umbrella for $10. 081c082e46a9463baaf54191f21f11c4.jpg

886b6b151941bffcbdefa1f229112e7e.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

I have just come back from cruise which involved a day in Antigua. As has been stated before we walked off the ship to a sea of what appeared to be official reps for the taxi companies. We asked to go to Dickenson Bay or Jolly Beach, we were told emphatically that Jolly Beach cost 60 US Dollars per person to enter on tope of an $16 return taxi fare and Dickenson Bay was too cold and rough as the sea came in off the Atlantic. We were, whilst not actually forced, definitely co-erced in to going to Valley Church. Taxi fare was $16 dollars return we paid around $20 for a sun lounger and shared umbrella. Whilst the beach was pretty good as beaches go, where we were the sand was extremely coarse, uncomfortable without shoes, and there was a big drop (about 18 inches ) when you entered the water which went from knee deep to chest height. The surf was a little rough and the water was not clear. One of our part is very nervous about water and this meant she would not go in. A real disappointment as we later heard Dickenson Bay was not cold or rough and now we have read that you do not have to pay 60 dollars to go on to Jolly Beach. Shame on the taxi drivers who clearly persuaded us to go where THEY wanted to take us and not what we had asked for. We only had to see the large group of taxi drivers seated eating and drinking at the back of restaurant to wonder whether there was some deal going on to make sure tourists were brought to this beach. Valley Church is not a bad beach per se, and I enjoyed a long walk up to the quiet end of the beach where the sand was much finer and the beach deserted (no sun loungers), but couldn't help feeling angry that we had allowed ourselves to be manipulated by these guys.

I have just come back from cruise which involved a day in Antigua. As has been stated before we walked off the ship to a sea of what appeared to be official reps for the taxi companies. We asked to go to Dickenson Bay or Jolly Beach, we were told emphatically that Jolly Beach cost 60 US Dollars per person to enter on tope of an $16 return taxi fare and Dickenson Bay was too cold and rough as the sea came in off the Atlantic. We were, whilst not actually forced, definitely co-erced in to going to Valley Church. Taxi fare was $16 dollars return we paid around $20 for a sun lounger and shared umbrella. Whilst the beach was pretty good as beaches go, where we were the sand was extremely coarse, uncomfortable without shoes, and there was a big drop (about 18 inches ) when you entered the water which went from knee deep to chest height. The surf was a little rough and the water was not clear. One of our part is very nervous about water and this meant she would not go in. A real disappointment as we later heard Dickenson Bay was not cold or rough and now we have read that you do not have to pay 60 dollars to go on to Jolly Beach. Shame on the taxi drivers who clearly persuaded us to go where THEY wanted to take us and not what we had asked for. We only had to see the large group of taxi drivers seated eating and drinking at the back of restaurant to wonder whether there was some deal going on to make sure tourists were brought to this beach. Valley Church is not a bad beach per se, and I enjoyed a long walk up to the quiet end of the beach where the sand was much finer and the beach deserted (no sun loungers), but couldn't help feeling angry that we had allowed ourselves to be manipulated by these guys.

Thank you for your sharing your experience with us. Good to know. It's been a few years since I have been to Antigua and I have been looking for a nice beach. Thanks.

Unfortunately it happens a lot at the different ports in the Caribbean. We have been taken to the wrong beach intentionally, by the time we realized it the cab driver drove off. They did that intentionally as for other people from our ship was taken to that beach when they asked to go to a different beach. I believe these cab drivers are getting some kind of kick back for bring cruises to these beaches. I will be going to Jolly beach my next time in Antigua. I will decline any suggestions from taxi drivers and make sure before I pay I am at the right beach.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately it happens a lot at the different ports in the Caribbean. We have been taken to the wrong beach intentionally, by the time we realized it the cab driver drove off. They did that intentionally as for other people from our ship was taken to that beach when they asked to go to a different beach. I believe these cab drivers are getting some kind of kick back for bring cruises to these beaches. I will be going to Jolly beach my next time in Antigua. I will decline any suggestions from taxi drivers and make sure before I pay I am at the right beach.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Forums mobile app

Just a quick word on that.

This happens everywhere. If the cab drivers suggests anything besides where you want to go, tell them it sounds nice, but we are meeting our friends there after their tour. Most likely, you will end up where you want to go.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi Hannibal - Curious to know if you caught a town bus/van and if so how far a walk from cruise terminal to get one,; Also I understand that all beaches in Antigua are free. Were you able to forego the $75 US resort fee and just enjoy the beach. Is there also a bus that you can catch to get back aboard in a timely way?

jolly beach is right next door to jolly beach resort. so it you only want the beach you can go to that section. we did a day pass at the resort 3 different times. i did not see anyone just walk up to the beach without the day pass at the resort but i dont know if you can or cant. i loved the day pass since you get all the food and drinks and the pools included

• 5 weeks later...
jolly beach is right next door to jolly beach resort. so it you only want the beach you can go to that section. we did a day pass at the resort 3 different times. i did not see anyone just walk up to the beach without the day pass at the resort but i dont know if you can or cant. i loved the day pass since you get all the food and drinks and the pools included

How do you get a day pass? I didn't see that option on their website.