Name suffix

hbrote

Perhaps someone can tell me if Holland America would prevent some one from boarding if their passport had a suffix (IE. Jr or III) but their boarding pass did not have the suffix. I know this seems like a strange question but I would hate to see my friend prevented from boarding in Europe this Spring.

I would call HAL or their TA and ask for a new corrected boarding pass. I can't believe mistakes or misspelling have never happened before. But I would try to take care of it beforehand.

Thanks for the reply and his TA assistant said it didn't make a difference. I had a problem with this on another line and have been paranoid about names matching on boarding passes and passport.

Thanks for the reply and his TA assistant said it didn't make a difference. I had a problem with this on another line and have been paranoid about names matching on boarding passes and passport.

I can't help you with the suffix but I do know that for a prefix it makes no difference. For example, just did a boarding pass for a friend who was having trouble and boarding pass has Dr. X and, of course, there is no such designation on the Passport.

I would be tempted to do a live chat with HAL (on their site) since you can print off the conversation. Just a thought.

Probably no problem; the HAL check-in staff has never checked my name other than to look me up on the roster and pull out the right key card packet, and my "Jr" hasn't mattered. Airline gate agents don't seem to check - presumably the picture is what counts. BUT - it could happen, so it should be straightened out.

The key is how the name is recorded on the passport. The US only has two name fields: Surname; and Given Names. So if the official name has a 'Jr', it gets tacked onto the Surname field: e.g. "Doe Jr" + "John James". Any sort of automated matching of records against the passport files may flag a mismatch.

I am a "Jr" and did have trouble a couple of years checking in for an international flight because my ticket was without that. Now I try to remember to get ticketed as "Uncle Jr". All carriers (air and sea) are supposedly required to cross-check passenger lists with the TSA, and foreign officials can be overly careful too.

An additional wrinkle - all ID's should match. When I got my driver's license long ago I didn't use the Jr -- and then got stuck when the new rules for proof of identity came in, and my passport, with Jr, wasn't good enough for the DMV since it didn't match.

Perhaps someone can tell me if Holland America would prevent some one from boarding if their passport had a suffix (IE. Jr or III) but their boarding pass did not have the suffix. I know this seems like a strange question but I would hate to see my friend prevented from boarding in Europe this Spring.

I would suggest your frriend call HAL or have their TA do so and have the name corrected W hy take a risk to possibly be denied boarding? I don't think it woudl happen b t would not chance it.