Packing Cubes ?

bboop51

I meant to comment on the wasted space with cubes. Where I have any space is where shoes, make up case, other small things etc. fit in nicely. I am a much more efficient packer since using them. They fit together better than my ziplock bags did. It is amazing how much you can get in each cube.

I followed along on this post as the packing cubes seem to be a great organizational tool. One poster addressed my main question, which is how efficient the space in your suitcase is used when you have use these cubes. Seems to me you will never have cubes that fit perfectly into the size of your suitcase and therefore you will end up with wasted space. Would love to hear some comments about that.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

Firstly, cubes come in different sizes so i can select the best fitting combination for each suite case. Secondly, if there are any small spacers left I fill these with bits and pieces such as curling thongs, cable bag etc. it works really well and a suitecase is both full and very accurate when you open it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they seem to add extra weight to your checked bag? Sailing on Transatlantic in April and flying DFW-MIA and then DUB -PHL-DFW. Any suggestions on what size bags to purchase, probably taking 29 inch bag and garment bag a piece, for the 2of us.

Do they seem to add extra weight to your checked bag? Sailing on Transatlantic in April and flying DFW-MIA and then DUB -PHL-DFW. Any suggestions on what size bags to purchase, probably taking 29 inch bag and garment bag a piece, for the 2of us.

They really don’t weigh much beyond a few ounces each. What I love best is if my luggage is too heavy when arriving at the airport, I can reach in and pull out a packing cube and either put it in another bag or carry it on. So much classier than those people sprawled out on the airport floor trying to lighten their bags!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on a brand - the better quality might be a bit heavier. But still , the large bag (say 3.7 x 3.7 inches) weighs maybe 4 Oz? We recently bought 2 new sets of 6 bags each (his and hers) - each weighs about a pound (not bad for six cubes)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My “packing cubes” are 2 gallon zip lock bags you buy from the supermarket. They are clear so you can see what is packed in them, you can compress the air out to save space, help prevent wrinkles, good for wet bathing suits, etc. And I bring extras to start using for the dirty clothing to keep it separate from the unworn clothing for the return trip.

That's what I use. I pack one change of clothes for each of us in a ziplock bag and put them in our carry-on. All underwear, toiletries, meds, cosmetics, rechargers go into other ziplock bags, so they are easy to find and can be put immediately into drawers when we arrive. I unpack half my clothes, half husband's clothes and put the rest of the clean clothes in one suitcase, slide it under the bed. As we use the first half of the clothes, we put the dirty ones in ziplock bags. Once a ziplock bag is full, it's put in the empty suitcase. Midway through the cruise, I unpack the remaining clean items into the closet and do a quick scan, putting any worn slacks, dresses etc.. into the suitcase. Makes packing up, at the end of the cruise much easier.

Edited by Marelaine

I used ziplock bags for years and got tired of the seals failing and tried the cubes. LOVE LOVE them. I can get more packed and the clothes have less wrinkles. I use all the sizes and they fit great in large and small suitcases.

That's a good point about the seals. I use the large freezer bags with zips, which are sturdier than the regular plastic bags.

My “packing cubes” are 2 gallon zip lock bags you buy from the supermarket. They are clear so you can see what is packed in them, you can compress the air out to save space, help prevent wrinkles, good for wet bathing suits, etc. And I bring extras to start using for the dirty clothing to keep it separate from the unworn clothing for the return trip.

I use the 2 gallon zip lock bags too. Even in my carryon I pack a couple of outfits in each one or a group of the same type of item. Easy to unpack too.

Thank you all for tips and tricks and opinions. I ordered a set of (Bago) packing cubes from Amazon last night. They seem to get good reviews and I found out my brother uses them. He schlepped them in the last year across the world to Poland, Peru, and just recently for a month across Florida. He said he highly recommends them. If I like them, I may order a second set. Like I said I am not a light packer.

I really appreciate the advanced packing tips. This old dog is always delighted to learn new tricks.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

We love them. Bought the sharper image brand in TJMaxx. We used them for the first time when we went to Italy on a land tour. Have been using them for all our cruises now. Just take them out of your suitcase as is and place in a drawer. No real unpacking. They’re great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little late for the OP, but thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I LOVE packing cubes, I bought a bunch from eBags when they were on sale. The medium size is great for tops and fit great into the overhead cabinet of the S-class ships. I organize my clothes in them by use: dressy, casual, bathing suits, etc. and it's easy to simply grab the right bag from the overhead cabinet. The medium size also fits into the drawers nicely. I use the large size for pants, dresses, things that go into the closet on arrival. Everything else stays in the cubes and goes into in the cabinets and drawers. It is so quick to unpack! 2 mediums = 1 large so they fit together well in the suitcase as well. I also have a few small bags to keep miscellaneous stuff in. They also stay in the cubes inside the drawers so things don't get lost in the back of the drawer.

I bring 1-2 extra cubes and try to stay organized enough during the cruise to pack the dirty clothes back into the cubes and then packing at the end of the cruise goes just as fast.

The other advantage of the cubes is that you can squeeze the clothes into the cubes and take up less space in the suitcase. Now if only I could figure out how to make the clothes get lighter!

Sue

A little late for the OP, but thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.

Now if only I could figure out how to make the clothes get lighter!

Sue

Hi Sue, i literally weight my clothing and often select the lighter version (if there are items which I need to select one or another). I also often take something out in the end - and just about always still take a few too many (especially after an item or two are bought whilst away)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I purchased clear plastic set of 2 (got 2 sets) from Bed, Bath, Beyond; somewhat inexpensive considering they're used often. Be careful of the size you buy - I think they're about 11"x14". Too small won't fit shorts/tees; too big won't fit into the overhead. They fit perfectly into our suitcases and then into the overhead shelves over the bed. No wrinkles and keeps suitcases tidy without clothes shifting. Wouldn't do without them now after several cruises. Also use smaller heavy plastic bags I saved from new sheets/pillowcases for undergarments, socks, etc. Makes packing and unpacking so easy. Eco people would be upset with me for all this plastic but it IS recycled so I don't feel too guilty.

Edited by oceangoer2

I followed along on this post as the packing cubes seem to be a great organizational tool. One poster addressed my main question, which is how efficient the space in your suitcase is used when you have use these cubes. Seems to me you will never have cubes that fit perfectly into the size of your suitcase and therefore you will end up with wasted space. Would love to hear some comments about that.

The plastic bags compress easily without wrinkling the clothes. I fit smaller bags of 'whatever' in between the two large ones in my suitcase. Everything is tight, no shifting.

you can use cubes and bags f different size to fit them as tight as possible, also the cubes can be squashed a bit when you put them in. I have dome the exercise by first selecting my clothes, then putting it in a suite case with not cubes and them with the cubes. I certainly could not see any less space with the cubes. I have been using shopping plastic bags fro packing my clothes for years - protects it and gave some organization in the case. Now it is so much easier with the cubes as I have my method and know where the things are.

IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.b4641ba374cca0486e5cd500f4fb94e2.jpg

When i first read the title of this thread, I thought cubes referred to these foldable organization cubes. I took them on our Dec 2013 cruise on Reflection and used them to make the storage over the bed much more functional. Yes, they do take up space in the suitcase. They are quite useful post cruise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will get many different answers.
I love ALL the different answers. I received my first set of cubes (from Amazon) and I like them. I have to experiment. But, I don't see how larger item will fit in even the large cube, so since I was going to buy a second set I may buy the set from ebags that seems to have a larger large cube. I love to be organized, so the wealth or information is appreciated.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

I first thought they were those cubes pictured above. When I google I see zipped up organizer bags. I take weightless Ikea mesh bags for all my in case sorting but have no problem stacking my clothes in the bins over the bed. Interesting that none of the packing cubes I found are cubes. They look like they weigh a bit also so I will stay with my method

Hi. Have been using Ebags packing cubes for last few years. Their prices vary all the time, but if you watch you can get a great deal. My favorite size is the medium. We use the large for off season clothing storage. I don’t think I could even go on an overnight trip without them...