Wheelchair or Scooter on Allure of the Seas

Dinkachu

We leave in 8 weeks for Christmas aboard the Allure. From pictures posted here on Cruise critics we have some concerns about certain venues with the wheelchair. The Aqua Theater, for example, seems to have no room for a wheelchair. We have reservations to decorate cupcakes in the cupcake cupboard, but I don't think the scooter will fit in there and the wheelchair will be too short to reach the tables.

We are traveling to Port Everglades with a wheelchair and have a scooter waiting for us in the accessible cabin.

Any information you have using wheelchairs or scooters on Allure or Oasis will be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

I didn't cruise on Oasis, but I took a tour of the ship, the sister to Allure. It's huge and if anyone has mobility problems, some sort of conveyance is absolutely necessary. I had no trouble getting anywhere on the ship via my Pride GoGo Elite, and I would suggest that a scooter is far superior to a manual wheelchair, just because of the sheer distances from one venue to another. A pusher could get really tired assisting a wheelchair bound person all over that behemoth. In the theater, there are places for persons in wheelchairs and scooters to park, sit and watch the shows. It's in the back of the theater, and not marked on any deck plans, but it is possible. Sorry, but I don't know about the cupcake thing.

You'll do just fine on a scooter on Allure. Just be patient and everything should work out for you. Have a great cruise.

We leave in 8 weeks for Christmas aboard the Allure. From pictures posted here on Cruise critics we have some concerns about certain venues with the wheelchair. The Aqua Theater, for example, seems to have no room for a wheelchair. We have reservations to decorate cupcakes in the cupcake cupboard, but I don't think the scooter will fit in there and the wheelchair will be too short to reach the tables.

We are traveling to Port Everglades with a wheelchair and have a scooter waiting for us in the accessible cabin.

Any information you have using wheelchairs or scooters on Allure or Oasis will be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

Am going on the Allure this Sunday and will also have a scooter. In fact traveling with a group that at least 1/3 will have scooters/wheelchairs due to having MS. So I will have lots of information after this cruise. Will check back after my return .

Re: Cupcake Cupboard - There might not be room for the scooter in the shop but if you can transfer to a chair one of the shop's staff members can park scooter outside for you. Just make certain you ask them to bring the key to you.

Edited by xxoocruiser

as for the aqua theater there is handicap/scooter parking on the boardwalk on each side under the rock wall deck. You will be all they way in the back of the theater but you can see pretty much all but the high stuff ( the rock wall deck kind of blocks your view)also watch out for the poles as for the cupcake cupard you might think to bring one of those portable lap desks and make a table on your lap and the handles of the scooter. The table is kind of tall. or maybe you can ask them if they can bring a small table . there are some right across the 'street' at the pizza place. I dont see where you borrowing one for an hour would hurt anything. good luck

I just got off the Allure last Sunday. We brought 3 people in scooters, I'm in a power chair. 2 in manual chairs and 2 that require a cane. The manual chair users had to be pushed, I had no problem getting around in my power chair and I don't transfer. The scooters worked well but they took up more space in the dining room. My reccomendation is to bring or rent a power chair. They are easier to manuever and take up less space. I know you can rent them from special needs at sea.250 lb. weight limit. If you can transfer then a scooter will be fine. The ship is too big and too much carpeting to use a manual chair. I'm a diamond plus and the Oasis and Allure have out done themselves. The beds are very high however and very soft. Comfortable but hard to get into. I'm 6'2 and 250 with no use of my legs and one good arm. I still had a great time. Enjoy your cruise.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and have put them to use.

WE have a scooter being delivered to the stateroom and will arrive in the manual wheelchair - so we can switch from one to another when it works best. I am excited to be able to travel with my family and am grateful that the ship will make it possible for me to vacation aboard!

• 6 years later...
am renting a scooter for upcoming trip on Allure, have a junior suite 9640 and am concerning about getting in and out of the room, any info will be greatly appreciated

Allure Junior Suite 9640 is a standard junior suite with the 23" wide door clearance. . You have to deduct 2" for the fact the the door does not close flush to the wall leaving only a total clearanance of 21". If you require a full size or a bariatric scooter than the scooter will not fit. The standard scooter rental from either www.specialneedsatsea.com or www.scootaround.com will fit through the door but it will be a tight fit.

IMPORTANT: Per SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Sea) Regulations the scooter cannot be stored in the hallway even if only for shortime regardless of what the cabin attendent might tell you. Leaving the scooter in the hallway even if only going into the room for a few minutes impairs the safety of others moving about in the hallway as well as in the event of an emergency. Upon seeing a scooter left in the hallway I contact ship's security to have it removed immediately !

Edited by xxoocruiser