Concerned about the Legend Please help

DANCING GRANDMOMMY

I guess it depends on what you're used to. We've done a few Carnival cruises, all on different ships. And yes, the Legend was the smallest, I think, or at least one of the smallest ships we were on. It did NOT feel run down or dirty though. Is it super fancy? Not really. It's pretty much like most of the other ships, IMO.

The biggest thing to remember is that you're not on that cruise for some fancy ship to spend all your days on. You're going there to see the sights and have an adventure. We saw such amazing things, we really loved it. When I'm cruising the Caribbean, and will be spending several days lounging by the pool in the sun, then I expect different things to be there. But this is Alaska, you should be sitting on your balcony, if you have one, or on the upper decks, to watch for wildlife. Or you'll be off on excursions seeing the amazing scenery there.

I'm pretty sure I have some pictures of the ship in my review (it's linked in my signature if you expand it). I'm actually looking over it now. And yes, I did comment that it felt like an older ship. But that doesn't make it a "bad" thing. Some people like the older, smaller ships too. I didn't like the smoking either. Because it was cold, and there's limited smoking areas, it did come into other areas more than I notice on a Caribbean one.

Thank you Cindy, for your prompt reply. The size is not a problem. I love the spirit class ships. We have been on the other three, Spirit, Pride and Miracle. I just want my brother to be as awed by cruising as we are. Now I will need to take a look at that review and see if it is one of the ones I read. Of all of the things that you did, what one thing would you do again, even if it cost twice as much? Then what one thing did you do that you would definitely not spend your money on again.

Susan

I will be cruising to Alaska in August. Our first Alaskan cruise. My brother and sister in love will be joining us for their very first cruise. I have read several review stating that the Legend was old, not well maintained and dirty. Please assure me that this is just not so. Thank you.

We've sailed Legend twice so far. She's a beautiful ship. Neither time (2014 to Panama Canal and 2015 to Alaska) did she look old, not well maintained, nor dirty. Crew members were everywhere, constantly wiping down surfaces, mopping floors, vacuuming carpets, gathering dishes off tables, greeting us with hellos and smiles.

Here's your assurance: what you read was just not so.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I haven't been on the Legend but I have read plenty of reviews on this site, and others. People tend to have one thing go wrong, and suddenly EVERYTHING else is wrong and horrible and makes them never want to cruise again. I'd take their reviews with a grain of salt.

FWIW, every cruise we've ever been on, they are always always always cleaning something. Never had a cleanliness issue.

Thank you Cindy, for your prompt reply. The size is not a problem. I love the spirit class ships. We have been on the other three, Spirit, Pride and Miracle. I just want my brother to be as awed by cruising as we are. Now I will need to take a look at that review and see if it is one of the ones I read. Of all of the things that you did, what one thing would you do again, even if it cost twice as much? Then what one thing did you do that you would definitely not spend your money on again.

Susan

Then yes, you'll be fine with it. It wasn't dirty feeling at all! I still would say it has an older feeling, only because we've been on the bigger ships, which are newer. But it's nothing to worry about.

As far as what we would do again - Skagway & Juneau for sure, but if I had to pick one, then Juneau. We did the helicopter on Mendenhall. I have videos in my review as well. It was beyond incredible!! Although my husband wishes we had done one that included dog sledding. And Skagway was a close second. We just had a really enjoyable day with our tour guides, a fun time. I guess if we went again and didn't want to pay for one, it would be the Endicott Fjord trip. But we still really enjoyed it and would recommend it for first timers. It gets you super close to the glacier. But then the cruise ship follows you down the fjord. The small boat excursion gets you about 1/2 mile away, so when it calves, it creates enough waves to rock the boat. The Legend comes within about 3-4 miles. We planned our trip as a one time deal and did the things we really wanted to do. We didn't do excursions in Ketchikan or Victoria.

I was on her in September and going again in June. The shape of the ship is fine, I don't remember any mechanical issues or it looking old or dirty. Jen Baxter will be your CD. I have had her on three cruises and like her, but not everyone is of that opinion.

We have been on the Legend many times out of Tampa, Fl,and also out of Alaska. As another cruiser said this is one of our favorite ships. You are correct that this is one of the older ships

In the fleet but it is well kept and the crew is always working to upgrade. Your family members will enjoy the Legend I'm sure.

We will be cruising Alaska later this year on this great ship.

Have a great cruise.

Cruising the Legend to Alaska. My favorite cruise ever, by far!

One big difference between Caribbean and Alaska cruises is you spend over half your time at sea, and there's not much to see. The Alaska cruise you have amazing scenery the entire cruise after the first night. Skagway is a charming town with great non-fancy boutique shops. Flat and easy to walk. I think the Legend is my favorite ship, but it's mainly because the decks are great for viewing the amazing landscape and wildlife.

I've been on the Legend 3 times...and the Paradise twice, which is even older and love them both.

If one sails a Spirit Class ship and has a bad time...it means that are a douche bag

I love, love that ship and wish it was back in Tamps. Glad Miracle will come back :)

I will be cruising to Alaska in August. Our first Alaskan cruise. My brother and sister in love will be joining us for their very first cruise. I have read several review stating that the Legend was old, not well maintained and dirty. Please assure me that this is just not so. Thank you.

Hi Dancing Grandmommy! (Awesome name by the way! :) ) I've been on the Legend a total of 36 days (Sydney to Honolulu in 2015 Honolulu to Sydney in 2016) and I can tell you now out of all the ships I've been on (P&O ones mostly) this is the nicest ship I've been on! Staff were always friendly fun and helpful. They kept the place immaculate and if you spilt something or you fell down someone would be there instantly!

I think comparing it to other boats in the carnival fleet is why some say it is "Dated". It didn't bother me that Guy's Burger Joint or the Blue Iguana are not on this boat (unlike the other ships in the "spirit" fleet) it just gives me an excuse to go book another cruise to experience these on the Carnival Spirit!! Lol

Your CD is Jen Baxter. Us Aussies love her but some Americans (no offense) may not like her at first because she is a Brit.

Here's some photos I've taken... hope you enjoy your holiday!!

3fdc9126d119ad36ac7e486a87acaa2d.jpg

a6dc1061437a0f4fe84c44aa3ee74790.jpg

0ad3735d94cfc34d9e4115800bc91cb3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:eek:

Easy to see typo,, sister in law :)

I actually thought it might be a new term for the companion of brother that he's not married to.

On topic, we did Legend to Alaska this past summer. We've done a lot of cruises on bigger, newer ships, and shared many of OP's pre-cruise concerns. We were pleasantly surprised.

When I advise new cruisers on cruise choices, I usually tell them not to start with the biggest and newest. The price is usually better, they don't know what they'd be missing, and the advantages of a bigger and newer ship will be more accentuated for them on subsequent cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Susan

There are many current walkthroughs on YouTube- I was just watching them yesterday as a matter of fact. Some walkthroughs are quite extensive and will give you a great feel for the ship!

We will be on the Legend sailing from Seattle on August 8th... we can't wait!!

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on Legend this past August to Alaska, no complaints here. We had fantastic weather and spent a good deal of time on sea days on our Balcony watching the scenery and the wildlife. So many whales swimming up close to the ship. My kids were in awe! We had on day where it was a little rough (Seattle into the Inside Passage), but after that no issues. My 6 year old and I suffer from motion sickness and we both had no issues.