S & S Card

mufc99

We have the Cheers package and have no intention of spending any money on our upcoming cruise.

Do we have to have the S & S cards and so have to put down a US$400 deposit?

If so, how soon do we get it back?

Had dramas before with US hotels taking chunks of money off us and we have to wait up to a week to get it back!

Don't forget unless your gratuities are prepaid, those will go on your s&s account as well.

I believe the $200/person is a recommended amount, not a requirement.

You can "cash out" your account late on the last night of your cruise at Guest Services or via the kiosks (there's usually a cut-off time to do either), otherwise they'll mail a check (as long as it's over $10 - anything under and you need to specifically request it).

You can cash out anything you put on the S&S at any time up to the last night before end of cruise. Do not use a debit card to attach to S&S card or you will have a hold put on that card. Put $100 down on the S&S card at boarding then cash it out at GS the night before you leave.

Just have to keep Credit Card ( NOT DEBIT) on file with them. Just in case any incidentals come up.

You can pay off anything on S&S card with cash the last night or leave on Credit Card.

You aren't required to set up an account with a credit card. You can set it up with cash and actually never give them any cash if you don't make any purchases against your account.

I usually have OBC, set up my account with cash online and never give them anything.

If you truly won't spend a dime onboard,you don't have to give Carnival anything at check-in, since you prepaid your tips.

Bear in mind with Cheers, if you order drinks while the ship is still in port the first day, you do have to pay tax on them.

Wow!! I had no idea. So we should wait u until we are in international seas to avoid taxes. Guess I'll be drinking water if I board the cruise early [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]if i decide I don't want to spend more lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though you have prepaid perhaps the 2 most expensive on board purchases and fees of cruising, I have never met anyone that was able to escape not paying at least a few dollars while on board. With most cruise lines, including Carnival, if you attach a credit card to your on board spending account a test charge is run to make sure the account is good, but no money is taken from your card to your on board account until the last night aboard when the total final bill is presented to the card company. If you indicate cash will be your method of backing the on board account the account will generally be treated similar to a debit account, with each purchase deducting from the amount deposited until you reach 0 balance or have a small "overdraft",at which time your ability to purchase things on board will be suspended.

Some of the small charges that happen on board that people forget about when they prepay things (like drink packages, spa appointments, excursions, photo packages, and daily service fees) are:

- tax on drinks and photos until in International Waters, when in US or US territory ports (like San Juan, St. Thomas) all at charge beverages including ones included on drink packages will have the local sales tax added. Though usually only a few cents it can add up, with nothing on your account it can even suspend drink package service.

- exceptions to the packages, want the souvenir cup drink of the day the cost of the glass is not included, want a drink delivered with room service items those are not covered under Cheers or Bottomless Bubbles, or want to get more photos than the package allows.

- want to order some of the new enhanced room service hot food items those cost extra.

- an unexpected need to purchase a toiletry or OTC meds in the gift shop or batteries from the photo gallery.

- needing to use the on board DIY laundry or wash-n-fold service.

- suddenly wanting to play one of the arcade games or at fee bar games.

With that said I have a cousin that routinely sails with 6 kids (3 her own 3 her sister's) and they rarely have, between the 8, of them more than $100 charged to the on board account. BUT they still put $500 in cash on the account, mostly in their case if one of the kids gets hurt that they can pay for the on board medical, but they have never had any problem getting the remaining cash back on the last night when they close the account (this has been on Disney, Royal, Carnival, and NCL).

Even though you have prepaid perhaps the 2 most expensive on board purchases and fees of cruising, I have never met anyone that was able to escape not paying at least a few dollars while on board.

I took a 15 day Transatlantic on Royal and didn't spend anything onboard, had OBC that covered the tips and actually got money back the last evening of the cruise.

So it's not that hard. I prefer to spend my money off the ship.

Aside from the S&S being your cabin KEY, you must have it to get OFF and ON the ship! Your photo is attached to your card, so they know that some stranger isn't boarding in your place.

Just tell them you'll be doing a "cash" account...if you do charge something, they will ask you to come and put money on your account.

Even though you have prepaid perhaps the 2 most expensive on board purchases and fees of cruising, I have never met anyone that was able to escape not paying at least a few dollars while on board. With most cruise lines, including Carnival, if you attach a credit card to your on board spending account a test charge is run to make sure the account is good, but no money is taken from your card to your on board account until the last night aboard when the total final bill is presented to the card company. If you indicate cash will be your method of backing the on board account the account will generally be treated similar to a debit account, with each purchase deducting from the amount deposited until you reach 0 balance or have a small "overdraft",at which time your ability to purchase things on board will be suspended.

Some of the small charges that happen on board that people forget about when they prepay things (like drink packages, spa appointments, excursions, photo packages, and daily service fees) are:

- tax on drinks and photos until in International Waters, when in US or US territory ports (like San Juan, St. Thomas) all at charge beverages including ones included on drink packages will have the local sales tax added. Though usually only a few cents it can add up, with nothing on your account it can even suspend drink package service.

- exceptions to the packages, want the souvenir cup drink of the day the cost of the glass is not included, want a drink delivered with room service items those are not covered under Cheers or Bottomless Bubbles, or want to get more photos than the package allows.

- want to order some of the new enhanced room service hot food items those cost extra.

- an unexpected need to purchase a toiletry or OTC meds in the gift shop or batteries from the photo gallery.

With that said I have a cousin that routinely sails with 6 kids (3 her own 3 her sister's) and they rarely have, between the 8, of them more than $100 charged to the on board account. BUT they still put $500 in cash on the account, mostly in their case if one of the kids gets hurt that they can pay for the on board medical, but they have never had any problem getting the remaining cash back on the last night when they close the account (this has been on Disney, Royal, Carnival, and NCL).

Great advice, thank you!

Just to reiterate and get assurance that I understand:

It's better to purchase the BB and cheers once we are in international waters.

The cheers is more money if purchased on the ship..Would it be less to pre purchase it?

Is the BB more once we board the ship?

It's best to use a credit card because if I put cash or debit card they will deduct my deposit? If I'm going on an 8 day cruise how much deposit would they need? Is it really 200 a day for an 8 day cruise?

If I have the cheers package and get drinks while the ship is docked in San Juan and St Thomas, I will be charged their tax?

This is all a shock for me, but valuable information..

You really need to go to the Carnival website as you have so much misinformation. You only pay sales tax in the embarkation port. so a $8 drink at 8% the tax would be .64. Cheers is $5 a day more pp if purchased on the ship. I have no idea where you got the $200 a day deposit, not. BTW St.Thomas does not have sales tax, SJU has a hefty sales tax around 11%.

You really need to go to the Carnival website as you have so much misinformation. You only pay sales tax in the embarkation port. so a $8 drink at 8% the tax would be .64. Cheers is $5 a day more pp if purchased on the ship. I have no idea where you got the $200 a day deposit, not. BTW St.Thomas does not have sales tax, SJU has a hefty sales tax around 11%.

Actually it includes US ports of call as well

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call).

Were you referring to my quote? I'm just reiterating and trying to get a better understand to another persons quote...that is why I put them as a question. Yes, I will call carnival, but I like to get more information here before I call because if the questions isn't asked correctly, I may get the wrong answer.

and this is a true statement, ships don't sail to U.S. ports, they sail away from them. I have never seen a ship sail from Charleston to Miami. The only exception I can think of is Key West.

Actually, I've sailed from NY to Miami, Newport, Bar Harbor, and Boston.

and this is a true statement, ships don't sail to U.S. ports, they sail away from them. I have never seen a ship sail from Charleston to Miami. The only exception I can think of is Key West.

Boston

Portland ME

Juneau AK

Skagway AK

Ketchikan AK

Maui HI

Kona Hi

(Orlando) Port Canaveral

1. If you use a debit card, they will not take out a deposit. They will place a hold on your card of $200 and increase the hold once your spending approaches that level.

2. You can use cash or a gift card to fund your account, or nothing at all. If you use nothing, you will not be able to spend ANY money on the ship.

3. Cheers is $5 more pp per day if you purchase on board. That is considerably more than you would pay in taxes for the few drinks you will consume before reaching international waters. You only pay taxes on those drinks, not the entire package.

I would agree with the others. Put a couple of hundred into your account. While it is possible to spend nothing more, it is unlikely that you will.

At the end of the cruise, just visit the kiosks and withdraw whatever is left.