Princess vs Carnival

Gmccjc

I have sailed on Princess on the round trip Seattle to Seattle but my Brother wants to,go,and take Carnival because of price. Has anyone taken the Carnival line ? I’m concerned about the amount of children also the overall trip quality of food ; service etc.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You should do some reading on the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Carnival, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

to learn about Carnival. be aware food is totally subjective...some will love it, some will hate it, and neither is wrong.

You can also look at reviews of the ships you are considering here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/

I would look at itineraries first. Carnival often goes to Tracy Arm which is often missed due to ice conditions. And if you want to see it close, you need to add an excursion (small boat) to see it close which costs a few hundred dollars. This may off set the difference in cost.

Alaska has fewer kids than in the Caribbean (regardless of cruise line) and most don't complain about the food on Carnival, many say it is on par with Princess. After saying that, I would choose Princess. They go to Glacier Bay on one of the RT sailings (Carnival only does this 1-2x a year usually) and has a ton of enrichment programs about Alaska onboard. Carnival does have a Naturalist (so does Princess) which is better than many lines. I have only done Carnival once and won't do it again -personal preference.

I agree about itinerary. My first cruise to Alaska was with Carnival because I wanted to go to Sitka. Decide where you want to go and compare the lines for not only ports, but times in port. If Glacier Bay is a must, then you will probably end up on Princess. Alaska is all about itinerary and not as much abut the ship. Although we now cruise mainly on Princess, I have no complaints about Carnival - I would love to return to Carnival, but they don't go where I want to go, when I want to go! The hype about Carnival is a bit overdone - Princess and Carnival are more alike than different. Alaska is magnificent no matter what ship you go on.

Look at sales, too. I had to change my booking from June to September, and the September cruise is offering $150 OBC per cruiser. That, combined with our military OBC, has given us a total of $500 OBC. I say select by itinerary as well, however, you can only sail if you can afford to go. My first Alaskan cruise was on NCL because of the price. However, I was underwhelmed by the free food options and spent a lot of money in specialty restaurants. As others have said though, food is subjective.

Carnival does do some Glacier Bay itins. Biggest consideration would be day of the week. Most of the Carnival Alaska cruises start on a Tuesday. A few odd ones start on Monday or Wednesday.

Besides Princess, look at Holland America. Princess and HAL pretty much developed the Alaska cruise industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed on Princess on the round trip Seattle to Seattle but my Brother wants to,go,and take Carnival because of price. Has anyone taken the Carnival line ? I’m concerned about the amount of children also the overall trip quality of food ; service etc.

Want great food, small enough ship to reach out and almost touch the Hubbard Glacier, included air fare (to ease your brother's perceived sticker shock)? Consider Oceania.

Want great food, small enough ship to reach out and almost touch the Hubbard Glacier, included air fare (to ease your brother's perceived sticker shock)? Consider Oceania.

I think he will still feel sticker shock in the end!

We’ve been on most of the major lines in Alaska as well as a few small ship cruises, also on the Oceania’s Regatta a couple years ago. The food was better than most. The ship itself was probably the worst we’ve been on in Alaska. The only unobstructed forward viewing was for concierge passengers and could only accommodate about 8 people at a time. There are certainly fewer children on board although one of the more popular events each day was needlepoint. In two of the ports where we were supposed to dock, we tendered as the ramp was too steep from the vessel to the dock. Appeared they didn’t anticipate it.

I think he will still feel sticker shock in the end!

Not as bad as one might think if a bottom line "net daily rate" for all required/anticipated expenditures are included (e.g., O's included air/air credit, beverages, all specialty restaurants, internet, choice of booze, excursions or OBC from Oceania). Add TA refundable OBC or rebate. Once you pay for the extras on Princess and HAL, the O cost is pretty much a wash.

We’ve been on most of the major lines in Alaska as well as a few small ship cruises, also on the Oceania’s Regatta a couple years ago. The food was better than most. The ship itself was probably the worst we’ve been on in Alaska. The only unobstructed forward viewing was for concierge passengers and could only accommodate about 8 people at a time. There are certainly fewer children on board although one of the more popular events each day was needlepoint. In two of the ports where we were supposed to dock, we tendered as the ramp was too steep from the vessel to the dock. Appeared they didn’t anticipate it.

Head on view from Horizons, which is open to everyone. Want outside? Regatta rotates (very close to the Hubbard to provide head on view to all outsiders).

Not as bad as one might think if a bottom line "net daily rate" for all required/anticipated expenditures are included (e.g., O's included air/air credit, beverages, all specialty restaurants, internet, choice of booze, excursions or OBC from Oceania). Add TA refundable OBC or rebate. Once you pay for the extras on Princess and HAL, the O cost is pretty much a wash.

I've priced O several times and compared them to Princess and HAL. Thus far, it has never been a "wash". But I bet that won't stop you from asserting that it is a "wash", every chance you get. YMMV

Most people who are used to cruising the Caribbean have "sticker shock" when pricing Alaskan cruise costs, regardless of the line. I generally budget 2 1/2 - 3 times a typical Caribbean cruise for an Alaskan cruise.

I've priced O several times and compared them to Princess and HAL. Thus far, it has never been a "wash". But I bet that won't stop you from asserting that it is a "wash", every chance you get. YMMV

On another thread, someone recently made a similar comment about comparing mass market to premium prices. If I remember correctly, his baseline figure for one mass market cabin for a family of 4 on a 10 day Caribbean cruise (before adding airfare, internet, beverages, excursions or booze, a few specialty restaurants, etc) was about $3000.

Remembering (yet again) that it was a well respected (and well known on CC) TA who originally helped steer me away from a HAL Alaska cruise to an Oceania one (using the same kind of "net daily rate" comparison I now preach to other folks who have worked hard for their money and want high quality at a value price), I priced out a random Oceania Caribbean cruise for him comparing "apples to apples" (I.e., more than just cabin cost - rather the total cost at the bottom line).

While I'm not going to do it again for this OP's Alaska quest, here (below) is the math from the earlier post demonstrating that the net cost (all expenditures included) on Oceania is value laden. Of course, this assumes that the fellow for whom I made the comparison had to fly to the destination, wanted beverages and internet and some other amenities like excursions or booze or OBC.

I am really not doing a commercial for O. Just want others to benefit from the same kind of "aha!" experience that TA helped me realize.

BTW, the real kicker on that first HAL vs O exercise for us was that the TA had previously been a HAL cruise director!

Here's a cut and paste of the math from the earlier post:

I just randomly selected a 10 night Miami-Miami Caribbean cruise in April 2018 on Oceania.

If I take the air credit, the cost per person for a double occupancy inside cabin is $1600 per person x 4= $6400 for TWO cabins. With the right TA, you could get at least a 5% "first time Oceania customer discount" at $320. Net is now $6080. This fare has "O Life" perks with one choice being $600 per cabin OBC. So, subtract another $1200 and net to you is now $4880. Subtract $25/day for each cabin for unlimited internet = $500. Net now $4380. Most top O TAs (or consortia to which they belong) will, at least, cover gratuities $16/person/day = $640. Net to you now $3740 (since you'd pay for the gratuities on RCI).

Assuming you need to pay extra on RCI for all but the most basic non-alcoholic beverages, I'm conservatively guessing another $10/person/day for that = $400, which is included on O. Net cost to you now $3340 (since you'd pay for the beverages on RCI).

Back to the TA. A top seller of O cruises should be able to do a commission share of at least 5% of the commissionable fare. Conservatively, figure at least $250 in refundable OBC or a rebate.

You are now at $3090 total for a total of four people in TWO cabins and we haven't even considered the value of eating as often as you may choose (if time flexible) in specialty restaurants that would cost extra on RCI. Nor have we looked at the far better O quality of food, bedding, service, blah, blah, blah.

As for no slides for teens: that time could be spent prepping for those SATs by attending the onboard lecturers usually being done by retired college profs. (Don't think I've ever heard of college scholarships for "water sliding."

BTW, want that balcony? Add about $1700 per cabin or just get one balcony and one inside and save some money.

I did the math in my head so I apologize for any errors.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The only unobstructed forward viewing on Regatta is from the spa terrace that is only available to concierge passengers, and only about 8 passengers at a time. Yes, I remember the forward viewing through glass in Horizons, that same place the needlepoint was going on. BTW, we didn’t rotate at Hubbard, just sat port side to the glacier.

I’m not as concerned about the cost although it was nice to see your fuzzy math and the Caribbean comparison on this Alaska forum. Bottom line for me is that ship is not a good one for Alaska.

And, since you’ve started this debate, Princess, as an example, has very good naturalists onboard that enhance the trip significantly. Oceania had a person providing lectures on Alaska providing general information. We were headed into a known Humpback whale feeding area and I asked him about it. He had not a clue.

About 500. Per couple would be saved. I also was unaware that Carnival did not do Glacier Bay.

Speak with an agent who discounts. You can often save 10% off of cruise fare (not taxes and fees). Just make sure they don't charge for changes and fees.

The only unobstructed forward viewing on Regatta is from the spa terrace that is only available to concierge passengers, and only about 8 passengers at a time. Yes, I remember the forward viewing through glass in Horizons, that same place the needlepoint was going on. BTW, we didn’t rotate at Hubbard, just sat port side to the glacier.

I’m not as concerned about the cost although it was nice to see your fuzzy math and the Caribbean comparison on this Alaska forum. Bottom line for me is that ship is not a good one for Alaska.

And, since you’ve started this debate, Princess, as an example, has very good naturalists onboard that enhance the trip significantly. Oceania had a person providing lectures on Alaska providing general information. We were headed into a known Humpback whale feeding area and I asked him about it. He had not a clue.

Yes - different things are preferred by different people.

Regatta may not be "your cup of tea" for viewing a glacier. But Horizons panoramic enclosed viewing (along with a hot cocoa) or treading the outside deck for the best angles works just fine for many of us.

Further, the ship as a destination in itself, is important to many cruisers. The quality of food, accommodations and service over 10 or more nights can be a real deal breaker. And that is where Oceania easily trumps Princess. Just look at the $40 million Oceania had to spend to make acceptable the former Ocean Princess (now Sirena).

It's unfortunate that Regatta didn't rotate on your trip. I do know that, in getting so close to the Hubbard, floating ice can be challenging to navigation. As for the "naturalist," we must have lucked out since our speaker was a retired college geologist who knew glaciology inside out.

In any case, I still hope that the OP will examine all their anticipated expenditures and use "net daily rate" (rather than solely cabin cost) in comparing cost (on any cruise). And I also hope that s/he will carefully consider their usual travel preferences (particularly as regards food, service and accommodations), since (at least, IMO) nothing can ruin a vacation like mediocre meals and "tired" lodging.

Carnival does do some Glacier Bay itins. Biggest consideration would be day of the week. Most of the Carnival Alaska cruises start on a Tuesday. A few odd ones start on Monday or Wednesday.

Besides Princess, look at Holland America. Princess and HAL pretty much developed the Alaska cruise industry.

RCCL Radiance of the Seas sails from Vancouver or Seward on Friday. That's another option.

Yes - different things are preferred by different people.

Oceania would be over kill for me in Alaska. I don't drink (so no savings here). When in Alaska, I can use my phone in ports for internet so need to do this on the ship (and I am one who uses the internet a lot). My friends who are foodies were not overly impressed with the food and didn't think they were better than main stream lines. So I would be paying for a lot of items that I don't need on the ship. Outdoor viewing is important to me so "Glaciers" comments are important. I do like the enrichment programs (several different options by several people) that Princess offers. Having just 1 Naturalist on Oceania would be a disappointment to me.

RCCL Radiance of the Seas sails from Vancouver or Seward on Friday. That's another option.

I wasn't impressed with RCCL in Alaska. I thought they were disappointing compared to Princess. I think RCCL is great in the Caribbean but they just didn't embrace Alaska on our sailing. No speakers, no Alaska port talks (except for buying from Diamonds International). The kids on our sailing were out of control (destructive) and they could care less.