Seasickness question.

Paulinda

We've only done one cruise with HAL to Alaska. On that cruise we did notice the rolling of the ship for 1 day while out in open waters. It was uncomfortable but nothing serious.

We are soon taking our 2nd cruise with HAL on a Caribbean Cruise and now wondering what others do to avoid seasickness. We noticed on the Alaskan cruise that many people were wearing those band-aid type anti-seasick devices on the backs of their necks. Are they worthwhile or are there other measures we can take? Hopefully seas will be calm but Murphy's law is a big factor in our adventures.

You are wise to ask and come prepared because you just never know what the seas will be like and that includes the Caribbean.

In our case my wife and I use an over the counter medication called Bonine.

It works well for us. The key is to take it before you get sea sick as it is far less effective if you are already sea sick.

If we start to feel motion that we think will be a problem we take it or if the captain advises seas will be choppy we take it. We only take one within a 24 hour period rather then two chewable tablets.

For some people it can make them drowsy.

Another item that some people feel works well for them is ginger or ginger tablets.

Some people wear sea bands but keep in mind that even the manufacturer says it works for about 50% of the people.

Some get a prescription for a patch which I believe you saw on the cruise. Similarly there are some side effects that some people get such as dry mouth and some have trouble sleeping.

Like most remedies there is not one that works equally well for everyone and many of us have our own preference(s).

You can speak with your doctor but I have to say we never have. We would if we required a patch. We do read the side effects for any over the counter medication we take and certainly if there was a concern that this would be in conflict with some other medicine. But that is all a personal decision.

Keith

I use Sea Bands which are like sweat bands that one wears on one's wrists. They have a ball that, when positioned as instructed, uses accupressure to keep the nausea at bay. It works for some, and not for others. I had a massage therapist tell me that if it's not working, it's not positioned properly; it should always work. I like them because they have no side effects like drowsiness. I want to enjoy my cruise, not sleep through it!!

If things are really bad, then try the Sea Calm that the ship will have on hand (although I read recently that it's no longer free). I believe that it's meclizine. I took it on a cruise to Hawaii when the seas weren't great. I didn't get the drowsiness side effect.

Enjoy your cruise!

We use Sea Bands wrist bands, or other brand names of similar application. We bought them after we noticed crew members wearing them. They should work for everybody! They put pressure on an acupressure point, but must be positioned properly. As EMTs we use that acupressure point for patients with nausea, it's amazing! Sea Bands have no contra-indications, no medication interactions, and they will work even once you start feeling a bit nauseated. Buy them at your big box drug store or WalMart, look next to the Bonine and Dramamine drugs, or order them from Amazon.

We've used Bonine also and I don't find that it causes drowsiness, but it does have a contra-indication for DH (who is the one who had gotten more seasick) so we stick with the Sea Bands.

I carry ginger tablets too which are good but for me the Sea Bands are the best. The front desk usually will put out a bowl of green apples, but frankly if you feel seasick you may not want to eat anything. m--

Over the counter Meclizine is fantastic, used to be a prescription. I start taking a couple of days before and continue a couple of days after to also help with vertigo after taking cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never get seasick but last year we had a particularly rocky day at sea and I (along with most of the boat) was feeling pretty queasy much of the day. finally I took a meclizine (I had never taken it before and did not know if there were side effects) because we had a dinner at the Pinnacle and I didn't want to feel bad. I felt better very quickly and was kicking myself for not taking it sooner. So, for me, I won't take it in advance but won't hesitate if symptoms arise.

Bruce

We take Bonine (meclizine) if the day looks like it will be rough. We've had some days at sea where the motion was very pronounced -- staircases become challenging, the promenade deck is closed, the restaurants are half-empty, and the Lido pool looks like a wave pool -- and we've never experienced sea-sickness. But whether that's the Bonine or just lucky physiology, I don't know.

But if you are really concerned about it, the best advice is back in post #2 from KK -- go talk to your doctor.

Some get a prescription for a patch which I believe you saw on the cruise. Similarly there are some side effects that some people get such as dry mouth and some have trouble sleeping.

Keith

I think you mean the opposite about sleeping on the Scopolamine Transderm patch. It makes most people loopy and sleepy

I think you mean the opposite about sleeping on the Scopolamine Transderm patch. It makes most people loopy and sleepy

Yes, should have said drowsiness.

I had also mentioned dryness of the mouth, and additional side effects "could" include disorientation, blurred vision, restlessness, dizziness just to name some of them.

Keith

I have gotten sick since birth...lol...true though. When I was little a doctor told my parents to give me coke syrup, someone else said to have me suck on a lemon...believe me, I have tried everything! The sea bands do not work for me and yes, I was placing them properly. The patch works, but I got blurred vision and I like to read. Dramamine is only somewhat effective. I was turned on to Cinarizina(Stugeron) by a friend. I buy it in Mexico. I am not sure if it is available in the US. There are side effects as with any drug. This one CAN make you drowsy. If the seas are rough I am better in my cabin relaxing anyway so it isn’t a big deal. It only makes me drowsy if I have downtime. If I am busy I don’t notice. I can honestly say that I have never gotten sick on/in any vehicle since I started using these 4 years ago...this from someone who has actually “lost it” on ferries, planes and ships. As Keith stated, you have to find what works for you and you should check with your doctor about any interaction with your other meds. I have had people tell me to just look at the horizon...don’t lay down or shut your eyes....well, for me, the best thing is to lay down and shut my eyes. So, there is no one fit for everyone. You have been given some great info here. Hope you come up with something that works for you. Have a great time.

I'm extremely susceptible to seasickness, especially in interior spaces [like the theater].

I tried the patches and hated the side effects, so I got some half strength Meclizine from Amazon and I love it, too. It's preventive, not curative, so you have to pre-medicate.

I listen carefully to the Captain's projection for the seas. If he says it's going to be very windy, or significant waves, I take a half of a tablet.

On a recent Western Caribbean cruise, I did this on a rough sea day, taking the first half of the pill before breakfast [i laid back down for 30 mins. to let it take effect] and then the second half before dinner.

People were getting sick right and left, but I went through the day being very comfortable--ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then watched the evening show without one hint of nausea.

My older son gets seasick a lot more easily than I do--he looks at a calm lake and feel nauseated. He tried the patches and had no relief at all, so I suggested the Meclizine on a recent deep sea fishing trip. He was really skeptical, but followed the directions, taking a full adult dose 30 mins. before sailing. When he called me to tell me about his day, he was so excited--a big catch on rough seas, and not a single moment of illness for the first time in over 20 years.

We've only done one cruise with HAL to Alaska. On that cruise we did notice the rolling of the ship for 1 day while out in open waters. It was uncomfortable but nothing serious.

We are soon taking our 2nd cruise with HAL on a Caribbean Cruise and now wondering what others do to avoid seasickness. We noticed on the Alaskan cruise that many people were wearing those band-aid type anti-seasick devices on the backs of their necks. Are they worthwhile or are there other measures we can take? Hopefully seas will be calm but Murphy's law is a big factor in our adventures.

I take one pill before pulling out the first day (available at the Front Desk) and I'm good for the rest of the cruise. I guess I just need it to get my 'sea legs.' My mum swears by Sea Bands and I can vouch they do work for her in very rough seas.

• 1 month later...

Yes, they did have some various candied items after dinner in the MD. We couldn't figure out why at first but then realized the reason. BTW -we used the Sea Bands and didn't think they were effective for us. We eventually put them back in the case and went au naturale.