Voyages to Antiquity Solo Cabin Deck 5

Ontariotrekker

I have checked the pictures etc on their website but does anyone have an actual picture of this type of cabin specifically 516?

I've been on this ship many times but never in a cabin this small and windowless so any thoughts and reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks Shar

Hi Shar,

I don't have any photos (I never think to take them of my cabins) but I've been in at least a couple of inside solo cabins on deck 5, which is actually my favorite location -- although 516 is pretty far forward.

It looks like I'm currently in the cabin next to 516 on my next VTA cruise, but looking at the plan online, the cabin is probably not the same configuration.

I usually have a solo inside cabin and for me they are fine. I don't tend to spend much waking time in my cabin. I think the bathrooms are the same size. Some of the rooms are laid out better than others. I like the ones that have a slightly wider bed that is along the wall opposite the door, rather than along the side as it seems to make the cabin feel roomier. Either way, though, it's not a dealbreaker.

What cruise are you looking at next?

Hi Cynthia - I was hoping you'd see this. This may post twice since I replied to my email alert.

I'm taking the long cruise starting in February - Sri Lanka to Malaga. It's 60 days and it will be my last long one since I don't want to be away from hubby that long anymore.

I opted for the cheapest cabin and since I'm now Emerald class ++ I hope for an upgrade or something.

Where are you going?

Shar

I'm still working (:eek:) so I'm taking the shorter ones still. I'm on the May cruise from Venice to Rome because it has some new Italian ports for me. But I'm also looking at the Jan 1 2019 28 day cruise that starts in India with the Golden Triangle and ends in Singapore. I can shave a couple of days off the end as I've recently done Singapore and it's not my favorite...!

Hope you get on well. I think on VTA there are several pleasant places to be, either inside or out, that an inside cabin is really okay.

We are looking at cabin 557 for a VTA 2019 cruise - West Africa - and I tried to sort through the various cabin reviews on CC for this ship. Some sound like clinkers - noise, vibrations and A/C issues. Others sound wonderful. Cabin 513 was mentioned, if you want to slog through all those member reviews on CC.

Of course the reviews themselves are all over the place, so it is hard to know what is a petty complaint vs a real complaint. We are old Voyages of Discovery passengers ourselves so we know what can come with the territory on these older, special niche ships.

Thanks. I have been on her many times and the ship is somewhere between the best and the worst review.

The AO is a small ship with issues. My last time on her we missed several ports on the Scottish coast due to weather conditions where her size was part of the issue.. On another, we lost air con for 4 days in Indonesia. Service from wait staff and stewads is great as it should be.

As for cabins, in my opinion stay off deck 4. Try to get one with at least a double bed or one where the twin beds are not against the wall.

Having said all that, I'm on her starting Feb.2019 for 60 days. The price can't be beat even as a solo.

Shar

• 2 weeks later...

We had 515 one time and it was nice. We did Voyages to Discovery to Antarctica . We liked both ships. There were more Brita on Discovery so dress was a bit more formal. I like the staff on Aegean Odyssey as they were not as stuffy as on Discovery. . Both ships maintained well. Food seemed similar. We have been on Odyssey for 2 back to back cruises. We also enjoyed Marco Polo 3 times.. :)