A Get Away Cruise on the Oosterdam

SJSULIBRARIAN

Sailing soloon the Oosterdam February 24 to March 4, 2018 (Mexican Riviera) was a very pleasant experience. Recent reviewsof this ship made me slightly nervous as to what to expect but the cruise didexceed the somewhat low expectations I had garnered from the reviews.

Positives:

Excellentembarkation and debarkation. The Maasdam was also in port in San Diego forembarkation so security was really backed up but moved well. We had receivedthe notice for the times one should show up but no one paid any attention andit seemed we all arrived about 11:15AM. Once through security, check in wasfast, and I was onboard about 12:15PM.

Debarkationwent smoothly as well beginning shortly after 8AM for expedited and I was offthe ship 20 minutes before my scheduled time.

Verandacabin was well maintained with efficient and friendly cabin stewards.

Crow’s Nesthad not been changed to the new layout but I assume it will be following thecurrent cruise while in dry dock in the Bahamas. The Crow’s Nest was almostalways filled with passengers, including while in port, everyone enjoying thescenery, the Explorations Café or the bar.

Food in the LidoMarket was excellent. I believe there are more female servers than I have seenon previous HAL ships .Scoops of ice cream, cones, and cookies are smaller thanin the past.

I ate dinnerevery night in the Pinnacle Grill including the one sel de mer evening. Food was well presented, very tasty, andservice was excellent, perhaps because I was a solo or because I ate early.Pinnacle Grill opened at 5:00PM rather the 5:30PM, I had been used to. I wasvery impressed with the serving staff using the expeditor system to get themeals out in a timely manner. The expeditor, the hostess, and the Manager allwore communication devices – you could see them talking into their shirts(reminded me of security and the Secret Service) to notify what table neededwhat.

There was agood variety of programming for those of us who don’t play bingo or sit in thesun all day. I was very impressed with the America’s Test Kitchen partnershipthat HAL has now. Also, the formerly called Location Guide, now EXC guide made a number ofpresentations, and there was a group aboard called the Mexican Ambassadors whoprovided Folkloric shows at the Lido Dome as well as talks on Mexican Historyand Mexican Culinary Heritage. Captain Rens van Eerten gave a talk and answeredquestions. I believe he left in San Diego. Entertainment included 2 or 3 Comedians and the HAL singers and dancers(their shows I had seen on a previous cruise).

The Captainhad to declare a medical emergency and we sped back to San Diego the last dayarriving at 1AM rather than 7AM in order to get the person to a hospital.

We didreceive a Voyage Log and I like this newformat of 8 ½” x 14” card stock with a map of the voyage (easy for Mexico) withthe destinations, miles, and knots listed and the listing of Senior Staff and someCruise Statistics (just noticed that 12,000 eggs were consumed.)

Negatives:

The SafetyDrill: I was looking forward to having my shipboard card scanned rather than aroll call. Initially at my station, the scanners did not work so there was muchconsternation and disorganization by the crew. Eventually, they had to walk intothe crowd of us and scan. My fellow cruisers did not pay attention during thedrill and many were talking on their cell phones. I wish someone had come onthe PA system and said “Quiet in the ranks”.

Credit for 5and 4 star Mariner Status in the Pinnacle Grill: I eventually got all but onemeal correctly charged but I do not think one should have to straighten thisout. Guest Relations refers you back to the PG Manager and vice versa. It seemsto be that all this information is in the computer which should be programmedto figure this out.

Neither ofthe negatives impacted my enjoyment of this week. Having visited the portsnumerous times, I did not leave the ship and rather liked having the entireship as my living room, sharing with others of course.

I did this same cruise Feb. 4 - 11, and agree with you that it exceeded my expectations. All 3 shorex I booked thru HAL were very enjoyable, and food in the Lido was the best I've had in a long time. The Sel de Mer pop up was good and a nice change. Could have used a few more onboard activities, but that horse has been beat to death.

Roz

Thanks for the review.

Sounds like a good cruise. Sorry to hear about the hassle for the 3/4/5 * Mariner discounts.

And Roz, thanks for the report on the Sel de Mer pop up.

Thanks for your quick review - it will be interesting to see what is done to the Crow's Nest after dry dock. A question - do you know if the Mariner's credit is applied for lunch as well as dinner?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Negatives:

Credit for 5 and 4 star Mariner Status in the Pinnacle Grill: I eventually got all but one meal correctly charged but I do not think one should have to straighten this out. Guest Relations refers you back to the PG Manager and vice versa. It seems to be that all this information is in the computer which should be programmed to figure this out.

This has become a major pet peeve of ours. It's beyond comprehension that, in this day and age of technology, nobody at HAL can fix a computer system to recognize that a discount is applicable and apply it at the time of booking. It is annoying, irritating, and even sometimes humiliating, to be standing at Guest Services practically begging for something that is rightfully ours.

Thanks for your quick review - it will be interesting to see what is done to the Crow's Nest after dry dock. A question - do you know if the Mariner's credit is applied for lunch as well as dinner?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Yes indeed, the mariner's discount is applicable for the PG lunch :)

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Do you have a copy of the Sel de Mer menu? I have read pros and cons about this special night.

When we were on the Eurodam 3 years ago, the Pinnacle opened at 5 for both weeks of our cruise. They claimed that between reservations and all the free-bee dinners, they were having a hard time getting everyone in.

Nearly every cruise we have done the last few years we have had problems with getting our 5 star discounts credited back to us.

This has become a major pet peeve of ours. It's beyond comprehension that, in this day and age of technology, nobody at HAL can fix a computer system to recognize that a discount is applicable and apply it at the time of booking. It is annoying, irritating, and even sometimes humiliating, to be standing at Guest Services practically begging for something that is rightfully ours.

We always pre book and pay- our discount is applied onboard as OBC.

Big difference in $$ off up front vs OBC. OBC costs HAL less.

We always pre book and pay- our discount is applied onboard as OBC.

Big difference in $$ off up front vs OBC. OBC costs HAL less.

We also pre book. There is also a big difference between the credit being applied automatically as an OBC which could work very well if they actually did that and us having to beg for it half the time :rolleyes:

Thanks for your very happy trip report. Glad to also see the Mexican Riviera itinerary is hopefully back after the past problems with that area for a while because it is a great West Coast getaway - we like all the ports ourselves, even after multiple visits.

We now mainly go for dining and shopping now. Always loved getting the real Talavera pottery ware in Puerto Vallarta, dining in lovely restored Mazatlan Centro Historico, and just strolling the newly cleaned up Cabo Marina district and having heuvos rancheros at the Hacidena Hotel at the far end of the inner harbor.

....................................... I believe there are more female servers than I have seen on previous HAL ships ............................................. Captain Rens van Eerten gave a talk and answeredquestions. I believe he left in San Diego. ............................................................................

Oosterdam, around November last year, received the first contingency of female Thai restaurant stewards with very long names. ;) The Lido Market received the vast majority of the ladies, one of which is a very competent asst. manager by the name of Sisi. This is the first time HAL has taken on restaurant stewards from a country other than the hard-working Indonesians.

Capt. Rens did leave Oostie on 04 Mar 18 in San Diego for his vacation. Afterwards, he'll be going back to part-time teaching at the C-Smart Training Center in Almere, the Netherlands, relieving Capt. Robert Jan Kan there. Capt. Rens will be back on Oostie in December of this year. Capt. Michiel Willems is now back in command of Oosterdam until June when Capt. Robert Jan will relieve him

Glad you enjoyed your time on Oosterdam :)

Thanks for your very happy trip report. Glad to also see the Mexican Riviera itinerary is hopefully back after the past problems with that area for a while because it is a great West Coast getaway - we like all the ports ourselves, even after multiple visits.

Here's hoping HAL will go back to "intermingling" the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruises (La Paz, Topolobampo and Loreto) with the regular 7-day Mex Riviera cruises. Nice difference between the two

Here's hoping HAL will go back to "intermingling" the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruises (La Paz, Topolobampo and Loreto) with the regular 7-day Mex Riviera cruises. Nice difference between the two

Yes, yes, yes. We hope so too.

I agree - I love those other 3 ports and would get off the ship for them.

When does the Oosterdam go to dry dock. We are sailing on her June 5th, from Barcelona to Venice :)

She's on her way to her Freeport dry-dock as we speak after completing her current voyage in Ft. Lauderdale on 20 Mar 18. Dry-dock is from then until 02 Apr 18

When does the Oosterdam go to dry dock. We are sailing on her June 5th, from Barcelona to Venice :)

She is going to dry dock after the current Panama Canal transit to Ft. Lauderdale which I believe ends some time this coming week.

The Captain in his talk mentioned new mattresses, carpeting, and some engine maintenance during dry dock. I think he was glad to be going on vacation since he said two weeks without air conditioning in the Bahamas is not pleasant.

She is going to dry dock after the current Panama Canal transit to Ft. Lauderdale which I believe ends some time this coming week.

The Captain in his talk mentioned new mattresses, carpeting, and some engine maintenance during dry dock. I think he was glad to be going on vacation since he said two weeks without air conditioning in the Bahamas is not pleasant.

Usually not the entire dry-dock with no a/c in the entire ship but for sure several days. Add no hot water for showers on 1-2 days and dry-dock is a peach for the crew and contractors. I will have two this year ;p

Usually not the entire dry-dock with no a/c in the entire ship but for sure several days. Add no hot water for showers on 1-2 days and dry-dock is a peach for the crew and contractors. I will have two this year ;p

I've always wondered what the crew did during a dry dock! Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to enjoying the Oosterdam in June sailing from Rome.