Packing Cubes ?

bboop51

I am getting ready pre packing for our cruise on the Summit (six weeks from today [emoji572] [emoji1] .. yes I'm excited and very type A.) I have been hearing quite a bit about packing cubes. I see they are not cheap. I'm looking for some opinions. Packing cubes... yeah or ney ? and if yeah, which brand ? Thanks !

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

You'll get a lot of different opinions. I tried using them, but found I ended up with a lot of cubes in various sizes that often didn't fit together well in my suitcase. I'd end up with odd spaces remaining but no cube that fit that space. So my opinion is that you can't pack that much more efficiently, or that much more in general, with cubes that you can without. That said I often use one or two small ones for specific reasons. 1. If, for example, I am spending 1 night somewhere pre-cruise, I don't want to have to dig through my entire suitcase to find clothes for that day, so I might try to have one small cube on top with that day's complete outfit/accessories. 2. I might use a small cube to hold a collection of small accessories or lingerie, simply to keep all that stuff together. I like to take most of my clothes out and hang them up when I check into a hotel or cruise cabin, but smaller things like these that don't need to be hung up are just as easily kept in a single cube in a drawer.

As for price, I've seen packing cubes at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

I am getting ready pre packing for our cruise on the Summit (six weeks from today [emoji572] [emoji1] .. yes I'm excited and very type A.) I have been hearing quite a bit about packing cubes. I see they are not cheap. I'm looking for some opinions. Packing cubes... yeah or ney ? and if yeah, which brand ? Thanks !

Just to clarify, are you referring to packing cubes to help organize your suitcase, or are you referring to packing cubes to help organize storage of items in the stateroom cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love them. Each family member has their own color. So easy when you get to a hotel or ship to just lift the whole cube out and place it right in the drawer. I am an obsessive organizer and I love my packing cubes. Everything is easy to find and neatly packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love them. They Keep suitecases Organised and tidy. Don’t pack anymore than I would otherwise, In fact probably less because items are easy to see and organise.

There is a large discussion on Princess forums - some 120 messages, the thread is called opinions on packaging cubes please - have a read. There are some good links there too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love packing cubes. First of all, they keep clothes from sliding around the suitcase, and if you pack them correctly you’ll end up with clothes with very little wrinkles. Watch a video on YouTube. I purchased mine from Amazon, and you can either buy a set, or the sizes you specifically prefer. I use the smaller thin ones to pack our underwear and socks, we each have our own. Then, once I’m in the room unpacking, you can just take out the Cube and throw it in a drawer. Same with pants or shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also love my packing cubes. I put like items in each cube and put the whole cube in a drawer or on a shelf. Easy. Having a variety of sizes and shapes helps with fitting into a suitcase.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not a fan of larger ones for clothes. I have a few small ones that are good for cables, cords, chargers, etc. that I throw in my carry on. The larger ones I have were too big to fit into the small drawers in the cabins so I still had to take everything out. You can find them for far less at discount stores like Home Goods and T.J. Maxx.

They work well for cruises. I don't bother with them for short trips, because I typically have access to an iron in a hotel for a quick press. As others have stated, with a little preparation when packing for a cruise, I find that the clothes come out less wrinkled, when they are tight in the cubes, and not shifting all over in the suitcase. They fit in the bin above the bed on Celebrity, so it eliminated the need to unpack at embarkation. We pulled out an outfit each time, and put the cubes back above the bed.

We use the packing cubes, shoe bags and packing folders. Packing folders are great for dress pants and shirts. Easy to find items pre- or post cruise in the hotel. Also most everything is left in cubes when we unpack in the stateroom. Travel folders fit well on the larger shelves.

These are also a plus if your luggage has to be opened by TSA.

Agree with all the positive comments. I use a variety of sizes that fit together nicely in the suitcase. Clothes don’t wrinkle with few exceptions. I will also pack an outfit in a separate cube when staying a night before the cruise.

My “packing cubes” are 2 gallon zip lock bags you buy from the supermarket. They are clear so you can see what is packed in them, you can compress the air out to save space, help prevent wrinkles, good for wet bathing suits, etc. And I bring extras to start using for the dirty clothing to keep it separate from the unworn clothing for the return trip.

I have just purchased a set of 4 medium sized cubes. When they arrived they looked too small. However before returning them I decided to see how much would fit in each one. I was pleasantly surprised. On our Reflection cruise in 2 weeks time we are spending the night before in a hotel. One cube for nightwear, toiletries, suntan lotion,swimwear,pool wear and flip flops, shorts and t shirt .Second cube for first night dinner wear with shoes, pm bag change of underwear and a throw on day dress. All items rolled and fitted in ! They then will fit inside my pull along hand luggage. Just in case our cases are late getting to cabin. My husband will use the other two.

We REFUSE to check luggage on the outbound flights. (Lose it ONCE abd you'll be the same way.) We've figured out how to be on 3+ week cruises, 1+ month land trips , etc with only carry on. No ironing. Occasionally need to drop off stuff at a one day wash and fold. Never have used ship laundry due to ridiculous high prices (did use self service in the old days, and wish there was more of it.)

And packing cubes are definately part of the way we can do this. Get a set. You'll be astonished at how much you can fit and how unwrinkled it is upon arrival. And for short stays in hotels, just pull the cube out of the suitcase directly into a drawer, organized and still ready to repack when you leave.

Here's what I do. Pants layed FLAT in the large cube. socks and underwear rolled and shoved in the corners and edges. Belt around the edge. (All the below the waist stuff.)

Roll your tops for the middle size cube. Bras, scarves, hats, gloves, etc go in the corners and edges. All the upper body stuff. Typically , you have enogh room for your bathing suit, too.

Small cube - either nightgowns and bathroom stuff. (I do try, and usually suceed, in getting the nightgowns into one of the other two cubes.)

If we need it, another small cube for more bathroom stuff.

This is the set of three I purchased, but I regret not buying the set of 5-6. https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032?productid=10150075&cat=packing-aids&country=US&currency=USD&couponid=94790994&sourceid=ADWPRODUCTH&gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPI8QMJI9OAa8w9rGOTsTcZME7YWLQrhBeDcJqkNQv5_6MPaYj3jxF6xoC-VcQAvD_BwE

Except for a stain or two, they look brand new after 5 years of frequent use.

Last comment - I bought a set from Anazon Basics that were dreadful. About the only time the Amazon basic knockoff was bad.

Edited by jkgourmet

Oh another thing I do sometimes...I either pack by type of clothes, all pants in or bag, all shirts or I pack by outfit. I also divide my clothes by type. For example one color of bags contains day wear and another evening wear. That way I can easily find what I need.

I also use and love them. I put underwear and socks in the small ones and they fit nicely into the small table next to the beds on Celebrity. No unpacking just take the cube out and put it in the drawer.

Laura

(see you on the cruise bboop)

Love them! Everything stays so organized and you can find everything so easily. They work wonderfully if you are on a bus trip that you are only in a hotel for 1 or 2 nights. I also use the plastic cases your sheet sets or duvet's come in. They work just as well also. I bought mine in Walmart-set of 3 for $19.98 a few years ago.

I have been using them for years, and for different types of travel, including self-supported bike touring. They are particularly handy for use on Celebrity's S-class ships because of the lack of storage -- we can pile the cubes neatly in the overhead cupboards and remove them one at a time instead of having to rifle through a pile of loose t-shirts and shorts.

Just to clarify, are you referring to packing cubes to help organize your suitcase, or are you referring to packing cubes to help organize storage of items in the stateroom cabin?

I was thinking more for packing, but my girlfriend said it helped her to organize their items in their stateroom too.

Thank you ALL for your responses, both YEAH and Ney. I'll review everything a buy some in the next week and start filling them up. We drive to the port but they sound like they could be beneficial for my (not so light) packing .

I have been using them for years, and for different types of travel, including self-supported bike touring. They are particularly handy for use on Celebrity's S-class ships because of the lack of storage -- we can pile the cubes neatly in the overhead cupboards and remove them one at a time instead of having to rifle through a pile of loose t-shirts and shorts.
That's exactly what I am using mine for...also I use a small one for the meds I might need and the gadgets like magnets, pool clips, extension cords etc. I have different colors for different things..

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk