How do HAL cruisers feel about the Explorations Café Presented by the New York Times?

whogo

We always tell HAL in the post-cruise evaluation we don't like the NYT connection or its use as their daily newspaper.

However, tying the ship to an inanimate object like America's Test Kitchen or Dancing with the Stars or Park West is very different from branding to a personality who carries mixed baggage, and who is changing her persona all the time - I am running for President - I am not running for President.

So to answer your question, I don't see these as equivalents from which to make a choice. But that is what the post-cruise evaluation is for - let management know how we feel about both..

More offensive than the Oprah tie in?

Equally as offensive as the Oprah tie in?

Less offensive than the Oprah tie in?

How about neither one is offensive or even noteworthy? How about who cares? Do people really spend their entire lives being "offended" by one brand or business or person, depending on the "crise du jour" (crisis of the day)? How exhausting.

This question is like comparing apples to manatees. The NYT news sheet is a service you can take or leave - with very little impact if you do not like the Times as a news source. "O" on the other hand is an amazing cult of personality -based upon someone who may be planning a run for high office.

How about neither one is offensive or even noteworthy? How about who cares? Do people really spend their entire lives being "offended" by one brand or business or person, depending on the "crise du jour" (crisis of the day)? How exhausting.

My nomination for post of the day!!!!! :hearteyes: :D

I am no fan of the NY Times but do appreciate that HAL gives free access to many of the NY Times articles. For those offended we would simply suggest not using that free service...and you can always use your WiFi time to log into other news sources. These days we think the "O" (Offensive) is one of the two overused words in our language. There was a time when if folks were offended they simply moved on to something or someplace else that was more to their liking. But today, some folks make it a personal mission to let the world know when anything (or anyone) offends them....and then that is supposed to mean censoring that item or person. Kind of sad in a society that used to celebrate free speech and thought.

Hank

(y)(y)

I agree. Enough with Oprah. Some people need to turn off their televisions, shut their computers and go outdoors for a little bit. We don't have the right to not be offended.

If we start trying to find only things that all people agree on, I doubt HAL would be able to book a single entertainer, offer a single TV channel, or call on a single port. Also, they would need to carry every brand of beer, wine, soda and liquor known to humans.

Since I'm not able to charter my own yacht, I cruise HAL with the understanding that it is a mass market line and not everything is going to reflect my own personal preferences.

I wish it would be easier for others to grasp this.

I am opposed to having Oprah aligned with HAL. Not because I don't like her politics and not because her books have a social agenda I don't agree with but simply because she is causing the price of my cruise ticket to increase and I get nothing out of it. Folks, she don't appear for free and she does not let someone use her name for free. She is getting big bucks from HAL and you and I are footing the bill, like it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgot to comment on the NYT. I don't agree with the Times editorials very often but I enjoy reading the 'paper' every morning. The news is OK and the sports scores are usually something I want to know. Other items are also sought.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not feel that a company like HAL should have a direct link with a person/brand with the level of personal sway and agenda of Oprah..... I just don't....

I also won't let it bother me or have any real impact on my day...

That being said, I wonder how many people who are saying 'so what', would be saying the same if HAL had specific ties and programs linked to, Trump, for example.

Just sayin'.....

I have no objections with the New York Times partnership, though I found it less noticeable now that they have switched the Crow's Nests to be the EXC Central. The lovely NYT crossword tables have been removed as have the computer terminals with the free access to the NYT. And the language "Explorations Cafe Presented by The New York Times" has been taken off the cocktail napkins. And with the loss of the libraries, the lovely bookmarks with the joint venture language have disappeared.

As for the daily paper, most of the US edition stories are verbatim AP stories, which is what most newspapers run anyway, so it doesn't really matter whether you get the stories from the New York Times or the Atlanta Journal-Constitution or the Seattle Times, they will all be the same.

i do not feel that a company like hal should have a direct link with a person/brand with the level of personal sway and agenda of oprah..... I just don't....

I also won't let it bother me or have any real impact on my day...

That being said, i wonder how many people who are saying 'so what', would be saying the same if hal had specific ties and programs linked to, trump, for example.

Just sayin'.....

halt? :D

I subscribe to the NYT and am always glad to see it on board. And I very much hope that connection will still be there when I spend 89 days on Amsterdam in the fall.

I'm indifferent to Oprah, but agree with those that have said that there's no reason to encourage a cult of personality on board.

If we start trying to find only things that all people agree on, I doubt HAL would be able to book a single entertainer, offer a single TV channel, or call on a single port. Also, they would need to carry every brand of beer, wine, soda and liquor known to humans.

Since I'm not able to charter my own yacht, I cruise HAL with the understanding that it is a mass market line and not everything is going to reflect my own personal preferences.

I wish it would be easier for others to grasp this.

Amen!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

More offensive than the Oprah tie in?

Equally as offensive as the Oprah tie in?

Less offensive than the Oprah tie in?

Neither is offensive too me. I don't watch Oprah and wouldn't like it if the ship was filled with people who do.

I liked that I could read NYT without paying for Internet to do so. (Aside: if "net neutrality" would and could be enforced on ships, that would not have been possible)