Excursions in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway

Buzz8594

I'm cruising on the NCL Jewel in August, northbound from Vancouver to Seward (with a land excursion into Denali). I've been on cruises previously, but only in the Caribbean. This is also my mother's first cruise and I really want to make it great for her. I've been doing as much reading/research as possible; however, I've seen varying information on the excursions - specifically, whether you have extra time to explore a port after completing an excursion and before boarding the ship. If we do (or may) have extra time, I'd like to plan accordingly.

In Ketchikan, we are booked for the Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer.

In Juneau, we are booked for the Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest.

In Skagway, we are booked for the Yukon Territory Scenic Drive.

I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with these excursions, in addition to whether you had extra time in port. Also, if anyone has ever done the booked land excursion into Denali from Seward, I'd love to hear about that as well.

Did you book your excursions through the cruise line? If so, they will show how long each excursion takes. This will give you a rough idea of how much extra time you have.

One thing about Alaska is that the cruise ships dock right in town which makes exploring fairly easy.

Did you book your excursions through the cruise line? If so, they will show how long each excursion takes. This will give you a rough idea of how much extra time you have.

One thing about Alaska is that the cruise ships dock right in town which makes exploring fairly easy.

Yes, I did book through the cruise line, and I've been looking at the recent dailies for the same itinerary. However, I've been seeing mixed reviews - including recent reviews for the same excursions - about the timing. For example, in Ketchikan, it says on the daily the dock time is around 7:30 and the depart time is around 3:30. With a 4-hour excursion, it seems like you may have some time to explore the port before the all-aboard time.

The reason I didn't post in the NCL forum is because I know that multiple cruise lines can take the same excursions, and while the times in port can vary, I imagine, overall, they are very similar.

Mostly, I'm trying to get an overall feel for people's experiences in excursions/exploring the ports.

Thanks!

Seems like the answer to the specific question you asked ("whether you have extra time to explore a port after completing an excursion") is answered by looking at the NCL site and comparing the excursion timing and the boat's departure times. Or did I miss your point?

Yes, I did book through the cruise line, and I've been looking at the recent dailies for the same itinerary. However, I've been seeing mixed reviews - including recent reviews for the same excursions - about the timing. For example, in Ketchikan, it says on the daily the dock time is around 7:30 and the depart time is around 3:30. With a 4-hour excursion, it seems like you may have some time to explore the port before the all-aboard time.

The reason I didn't post in the NCL forum is because I know that multiple cruise lines can take the same excursions, and while the times in port can vary, I imagine, overall, they are very similar.

Mostly, I'm trying to get an overall feel for people's experiences in excursions/exploring the ports.

Thanks!

Please realize that while cruise lines offer similar excursions they are not necessarily exactly the same (timing, number of passengers, means of transportation, etc.) and expecting them to be named the same thing is unreasonable (for example we just returned from a Princess cruise and the NCL excursion names mean nothing to me other that telling me the port). Hence the recommendations to post on the NCL board or provide much more detailed information. For independent excursions check out the Alaska Port of Call board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55) for excellent recommendations by cruisers on all cruise lines.

Well you should have some free time; how much depends on the departure time of the tour. Bear in mind if ship's depart time is 3:30, all aboard is probably 3pm. But if your tour is 4 hours and the tour's depart time is 8:30am for example, you should have at least a couple of hours in the early afternoon to explore the town, as the 4 hours should include transportation time to/from your ship to the tour site.

Nearly all of the ships that come into Skagway have all aboard a half hour before actual departure time.

Most of the retail stores stay open after six, and the bars of course are open well past all departures!

IF you wish to see the history of this place at the NPS you should at least go there early since some of their walking tours and other activities fill up early and only go on until 5pm.

Thanks for visiting us!

DD

For the whale watching in Juneau, check the details on your booked excursion to see how many people will be on the whale watching boat. I had several friends recommend doing whale watching on one of the smaller (6-24) person boats rather than the really big (50-75 person) boats. Our boat had 18, and I was so glad I was on a smaller boat. You can see the whales so much easier that way. That was one of my criteria when choosing the whale watching excursion we did. I know on the Princess site, if you looked at all the details, it provided the capacity for each boat/bus/shuttle. Whale watching and some sort of wildlife or glacier excursion should be great, but I think you'll have a better whale watching experience if on a smaller boat.

With your Skagway tour, frankly, it is superior to book and independent vendor, or rent a car. Murray's Guide is superb, rental vendor is Avis. It's a simple drive. I highly recommend Dyea Dave, if you want a tour, long time in business with excellent guides. The non large "tour buses", used by ship tours, is grossly superior. Excellent viewing that you won't have with the tour buses.

re- your land tour- although a little late. hopefully, you are NOT going Seward/Denali in a single day, and have the Tundra Wilderness tour, and 2 nights at Denali in your tour? IF you don't may want to rethink and change if possible? Essential with the Denali "tour", portion.