Our visit to Ketchikan & Eagle Island Sea Kayaking (8/15/2017 - Emerald Princess)

AvalonLuv

Ketchikan

·Weather conditions – 8/15/2017 – Rainy, windy and cloudy.

·Clothes: (RP) Rain jacket, fleece jacket, beanie, kufiyah, dry-wick short sleeve button up shirt, UnderArmour black vented t-shirt, cargo pants,Wigwam-brand socks and tennis shoes. (JP) Rain jacket, fleece jacket, tank-top,long sleeve shirt, lycra leggings, Wigwam-brand socks and tennis shoes. She had gloves but got wet from water, helped some but hard to operate camera with gloves.

·Emerald Princess in Port: 6:30am-2:30pm

Excursions

·Eagle Islands Sea Kayaking (KTN-770) 10:30am-2:00pm - $99.95 p/person

·Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration (KTN-800) 7:00am-9:00am [Cancelled due to weather by Tour Operator.] - $269.95p/person

Very rainy when we arrived in port. We had an early Seaplane excursion that was to begin shortly after arriving. We made our way to the dock but never found a representative for the excursion. Other tour operators didn’t know anything but guessed that it was probably cancelled due to rain. One of them suggested we contact the Princess Excursion desk, so we reboarded and went there. When we first approached, the Princess staff member said, “No, we haven’t heard of any cancellations.” They asked us if we were in the right spot and we said yes. There were a few other couples who also did not find the tour operator and were worried that they had “missed them.” This caused a bit of anxiety and frustration. The Princess staff member then called someone who stated that, yes, it had been cancelled due to weather. We were not charged for the excursion but this left a big hole in our day but we understood about the weather being a safety and enjoyment factor.

Word of caution about the Seaplane: on the ticket, which we didn’t notice untillast minute was a “no carry on.” Thiswas a bit of an issue as I had planned to carry our extra clothes for the restof the day (rain jackets, snacks, etc.) but since the excursion was cancelledit wasn’t a factor. Plan to return tothe ship for extra stuff upon return if you will be doing other things laterthat day.

Luckily, we had booked the Eagle Islands Sea Kayakingexcursion for later that morning. In themeantime, we went and explored Ketchikan by the waterfront which was primarilytourist shops and alternate tour operators. The lady at the Visitor Center was very helpful. Prices for jackets and other things were notas much as we expected and very reasonable. For example, a windbreaker shell with “Alaska” logo was around $20. T-shirts were $10-$15, hats around $5 plus.

26YYJsjwU6NwrnNUnKsV-lr3tXq_2Ayhb7lKhqoSsbDrcTVNe0eIzKz-LrXDgDFMe-cwSAMX248jnQ5FoY85QPm-FMIqWiH8aooqcVmDRFQg5IzTikxgwW64ctRO7rF7Wz-5cZQi_GjOAVsnIxkd_eKauhYJgpxTKi4oV9hjbm4uD80Sla6unTOPC9ZGWJcIv4jiJZLSv_mm3HMagQwhLK3hhRsavHBIr8XFyIs2ZbO2CBpVy5h5b-tKT5I0C74mCjtC1-0FBJAlVocxaYfK4VMY785-wandarnDtwOkQRnRkGA_jcziGvZb5C4WaKjT6rBOxkZl5JyVYCcakZOO3HI5Q6QWraEOwDVKQ7fiRHZNtZeSxu0zR9p9q02X0iQCtYa4cgUskiKvBUmPBrlcO1yPeUSM4U345WnASCwJStaTs7qjS_Hx56tFvWHlGdUBeCfQEQjrIzcv7wMhEP9YFdPkonyVX-tgYPhrFhPTBH_pQabcfDEyIu444jupRieubzImXaQWd9V6IFUeTnIq-d9IFP_35aF_HqMRxTrs-rZ2uQan0Xac9GNgXn10M--2fdn-Qf7vo2dG_nvs0A_C8-dGibJ8ezddFGr9bvOQPHxfWvZxV1qP=w937-h638-no

I went to search for the mosaic Octopus I had seen on theInternet which I found at the end of the waterfront near Berth 1. The “Welcome Arch” sign for Ketchikan wasanother landmark that I wanted to photograph and got a good shot. It was located about ½ way between our cruiseship and the end of the waterfront.

u-6co6Q4tD90R0J7LfCXfi3HxIgc4JH76FmrMSZQVvPsy6sYfYcMQYJ4q_m9mPn1mpQ5e4zJUBUjO4khzBRiFm7eGyn8-LjBhnNgDyV8r3_Mr__aV9R-nNMYCb93EU_n8-R8OGylMhPpG6rZlskAR-I3O0oh5pSeHsnBHcmxmqcvoCDeC3nsBuZ9pQAS53lCY19eVTC975sKqnapi9CPEbV_DLGcJ3zFwI5-Z8zy9MS09_shG1U5_CYH-MgGVSwMnxnGazJeh_1vEqk-ZNI6KU0x-faEX6Slrkchfw0JbEJniYKujKDV5QMxPnnZ42SXIiKl7MlbjHoFe6icjyOoYOa2WPm95sxBBLJJogXWjkXj2o8uiXNtbwjgn74SFWe9Z7xMOx4ro_PqsKFHtOO4jrWZvvj76uFUGCgTmtLq2QOYqbI_zna8-Hjnx86pHmvRZpM7uO9zQXyYURD4sQGIwpis8rEcj3pQgWp8eadqX-7r9pYWtesG32t4_hEzuroVWmv6j0bGoFJUejZmKuqip-tr5Ru9vXVzSfch47R9nUpv5aLUW_hdvyPk6-3JeL4vku9NWCUbG1-iNyDD6dMXqjKIlvWlNtppGuFygXZo0EirE_jRAvbu=w851-h638-no

We returned to the Emerald Princess dock and located our tourbus transport for the Sea Kayaking. Thetwo ladies were very nice and the drive took about 15-20 minutes to Clover PassMarina. While on the bus they narratedlocal tidbit facts about Ketchikan which helped pass the time and wasinteresting. Arriving at the Sea Kayakcompany we met our guide and geared up. We had brought a dry-bag but wasn’t needed as they supplied one which mywife stored her cell phone and a few other things in.

8fSQZrxYUvKQFwTCuE3sC486fvILLZewwjFxfp-gX8_HvIm686D35_RCUw_eNYGsgPPcgNLNLI-7ZSbLNKGdcPilK5KwPDYBALdDHPui2PMR5047s7mzs45pTG7mkItRaZNcgEO57AVPEjDZwG8lU2FqkQPWHB6aIOt0JxNFMvsrD-TgMHc8XvtQHCg0X_XugtaWGfnre4IUCqc7umJFkF8S5WCc9LXbKM2AQtB_T3y3JNycWJKoo6ejmbz3B7T_gMmWitN4RLSviX3DyWAmjkXB6cjRUzRyf_-9PMYNL6HDz8uP5ixZQwRNUrJEb8sAh50Ro1N_8tLVdRiYTDCHhoGmrDgwKScrB-Vd-tvg_MAGWSYf4y0p-XhUDVX3KlkJWqDOn-A5HBvfay43dUNkQs1TOHf8UUUhPFmXjv0ywJNsUiz6nEWGkrFwn1415PWN7zDJDmVkJ0JpdwIYB9GnU9NtbKYkv5vVyDsCrGb5mDzsAsa8k7yqo3NW61k_OcEKe9kB45i5fQbvJuJhyAgPwFuYCSWOeHVf4rRVCvxlXcn8unijp79A0pI6g2uGd0lbvH51JF0wVDxx5hFWwpnKUdgQI9RVMpAp912Ed_eVnxr9YYxov6Sp=w711-h638-no

Our paddle guide was very nice and provided a decent levelof information. Most in our group hadnever (kayak) paddled before, myself, Jill and one or two others had. We boarded the tandem (2-person) kayaks andgathered as a group then paddled across the marina area to the other side wherewe encountered our first Bald Eagle perched atop a tree.

The water was surprisingly warmer than expected. It felt the temperature of Southern California ocean water and I could keep my hands in it without freezing them. Along the shore line we saw various starfish. When I asked about if we’d see any whales during our paddle, the answer from our guide was evasive and though the brochure shows a magnificent whale breaching, I think it was really more of a rarity than anything else. We didn’t see any seals either during our paddle but we did see numerous bald eagles and the occasional jumping salmon.

i2ITsKIVxQa9bK9xl1Mq_maSB46bMNp3LDBsTnIdhnYKYHc1VAupNu1aw_OvDw2DihRPZZE4x-AY_BmsAmfZJtzrj-5wy6M4dWfW9C7a5X3SwlN5HYGTSQslhmljPlKL7VHLWnZVQZWlllX3wfVapcG7oOStoql0LmX4HVQbKZZ2M0WzW_898xMxtSIfPzm8PPJjBYWep7W4X-8QoqFMbONRl7UbAQ57oKjgR_j9o_WOlUMcnLe5QAUdo3MlQEvxH5Y7K2fyBEV0stN_tulgO37yKxUi-oGtikkfuqpFiznrxQoykhCx4noXyYuTOzh-_STNpWsK2z2dghIK5U_T5MO00jXIGMNn7aStgZG3wo0xnhBfyRdtIDmAFC_L9eg9rVj7OQ3oCZfuGOcCiQvZJbLun1rO7ufaHgzAEIveuJLESdqPvBny3IW6NkuvqrwFikjaqHtenJW2ksfETaqYp8GowaimCkv05kFZpXPMNlQkBSrdKcMgqjXv-rHsmpT6H15i3xx1lSGkAdxfHU3is-Kody14ichhs-pBKf9BY90B1C4mA9ZgI-06bkre95_nVZiMxoSlxCgQMQIUHid5M_MnHxhyW0ZecI_hhKxFQ7Ilkc472_27=w851-h638-no

We paddled across the channel to Eagle Islands where we observed more trees, rock formations and a few more Bald Eagles. Overall the paddle was easy and no one in our group had trouble keeping up. Challenges were taking photographs and paddling. If I had binoculars, I’m not sure I would have easily been able to use them. I did have a waterproof digital camera I kept tucked into the front of my life vest and tethered by carabiner to the side adjustment straps. Water occasionally spotted the lens due to splash and light rain during our trip. Take plenty of photographs as only a few good ones will come out. I also (carefully) used my Samsung Galaxy S8+ but safely tucked into my jacket chest pocket to keep from losing it. It was nice to have and did better pictures I think than the Fuji waterproof one but was harder to use without fear of dropping it intothe icy deep.

ZSK-V-ruGEzeFk9OMC4w_sy7AxJKuKXTE4AEMfpUt2KNiV2Eam_kkFELdsO3HLR99MVsUeK6BhOqYm7cdUHmrGt1JgUnLR_vBXB7YsSWo_0w8jtW76scSYWVo19L0IbFH2nq8xAbapkr9doLJzzLIJb664wlpuuKT6G3XaCYLTw_XOdgzetteA40PTdgm0gYxJoSJu1Tw3_BRLoyIFSLxTquYxQ3BXIfGezAIz0WAH4yT3herGfYf27kUahp65cXLRUPojBJqidLKepSuQhj0YUrpN7Nl-Mf7mi04m4o9db4spsofek4Es9q8fNgNAKMVz_Tk_ya2Pp5rxdy5AcE-ebz6VoDcBALqrBrh9Bo-Lha0OWi5PbMlphU3fKftFk9gvqdW0vCs_kQmhqBw9peX6cuF9y7mVgiJL7rJIO3sIUMlhv7dizXGb6aGHqONIzHb29u8cHjuSfzfan9JUewALWDyGjx8AaX8G2_HsJDMD5A7emJBj3Sx3noKlsrWY6p1rNNoS_rhn_7UVJ6bOxlRq7dkwEQiuruXnRv2VZfVydNEHhxdMbD7a6qj4ZvVltofNmoG3x7-h99Q1UEXMsBdTg2bxzvIsUJ7j9295IJZRwdOUj5qXgg=w851-h638-no

Final thoughts on the Eagle Islands Sea Kayaking:

This was a relatively (for Alaskan Cruise) inexpensive excursion at $99 per person. If you have never paddled before I think this is a great way to try your hand at kayaking and bring back bragging rights to say, “I kayaked in the ocean of Alaska.” If you have done a lot of kayaking, this one is average in the excitement level, but again, you do get to add it to the list of places you paddled and for that, I consider this worthwhile. Other kayak locations in Alaska may provide abetter or more exciting experience.

As for wildlife, don’t expect much. Starfish are ho-hum for us California folks,but seeing Bald Eagles in their natural environment was great. Had we seen a whale it would have been amazing, but that just rarely happens it seems. Staff was very nice, but plan to record your adventure yourself with a good waterproof camera. Use their “wetgear” to avoid getting too wet inside the kayak as some water will get inside and will not be dry. Your shoes you wear will be damp, so will your pants if you don’t use the waterproof pants (slipover your regular pants) that the company offers when you gear up at the beginning. I almost passed on them but so glad I didn’t!

jTOsTtpYPBLuFjeLSrhobdj0mPprFiKaLPFsC6GLvenR_vNaIKFsnYhqHoAVo_ZqHIZzMYagdYq78yDmQgo1j7VELFWOpP6OQ3XV1UDEiGFatdoimlNHc-R_22be8ucffkdI0IITJdATME1aaeya8dNG8IKnhaTPQ7TFIAkf_m6PQCMrIZHzrtLSJr7pK6y617V8cT4pDnchARDJ3Lfup3DsYnx-r-OvDw_89lehrUYh_PcGt_3_c1ftPq5T-dHBAUsWImtdYTnEqhn2C8V5ZZmMURoTrQ31dqDjVl5cjE6nkQFZOQ0-9Zfz0s5ltcBq2u_AdUzEkwDPv9ayDuhNIhN3ZTdha0sbU2SiMB5qBxXdZm7l7H6PvGv0OgWHzTNHECRMFpnyOc7Spo_6f5Kok__OjDX37-YFUNVCZFYspcj50QFWC3xqA8Bhm1QDrx-CPHFoo_gYo6dg_SVJ11P076DDh_IQKRzJTWiXGkWstr0TcKY9QoT-b2xlvrMQyppnr4zF5B49O3fKR2wrsBnBcTsrEc9N4-YOl69HSBDKnA0C2RBKoyZRfHlJ2fbpWrZQG1xiAdgu4p42VpoIkYpmood11haawUWMzZ_cQjMBuNJBT3sqXWJ1=w1068-h638-no

FINAL THOUGHTS ON KETCHIKAN

No one can control the weather and our visit certainly reinforced the concept of layering and being prepared for any weather condition. The amount of time “in port” in Ketchikan was very small. We would have missed a lot by booking the two tours like we did. Even though one got cancelled, by the time we figured everything out and got looking around, our time was very limited. Some pre-planning helped me get a few pictures I wanted (mosaic octopus, Welcome Arch, totem pole) but I would have missed a few of those if I hadn’t done some research. As it was we didn’t have enough time to see Creek Street or get more pictures of totem poles or other landmark sites. We are really disappointed we didn’t get to do the Seaplanes but weather was the culprit and now we have a good reason to return. I wish Princess spent more time in Ketchikan. A 2:30pm departure seems VERY early to leave, but maybe it has too. Choose wisely what you want to do and take lots of pictures!

If you'd like to read our review of our Room on the Emerald Princess, here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53867840#post53867840

I tried to add my Google photos as public but guess they didn't show. I can't figure how to edit my post.

Here is the link to the album: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPiU9EntHQGiCQD6AbMNUIDcqpE9dma3PBZotUVZeSr4hW2DCJAftW8AUm3-jFARw?key=a3U5cGprWUd2Q1JWdGlEZkFyLTQxWHprOHE4bDFn

Edited by AvalonLuv
Added photos link for Google album

• 10 months later...

Thanks -excellent information for the unfamiliar, and good for the more experienced paddler as well. Particularly appreciate dress recommendations for those of us where it is not an issue of warmth or water repellancy but rather sun protection! We're from Miami, paddle SOTs and our single SINKs -Valley Aquanaut and Hurricane Tracer (skegs, not rudders).

Questions: We'll have most gear covered, but should we invest in something akin to dive gloves for a June paddle in Alaska?

Do you have recommendations for particular Alaska cruise ports as offering "better" half-day paddling opportunities than others?

Thanks again.

We did not feel we needed scuba gloves for the paddle for warmth, but I did bring a pair of gloves I have (don't remember the material) that gave my hands some protection from the friction of the paddle. They might be neoprene but I'm not sure.

We did not do any other paddle excursions so can't comment on the other part of your question.

Hope that helps!