Slow Sea Princess

Also on the Dawn now ,as we sailed out of the heads we could see the Sea princess heading back in . Once the pilot was off we came to a stop and the pilot headed over to board the Sea.

It was if captains had a moment with the two ships meeting just outside the heads.

Thanks for the update.:D

It doesn't stop them, but you claimed they "would have to" which isn't likely.

Yes, I did say, 'I imagine that they would have to do a restock of provisions etc' which still holds true I still imagine they would do this to some degree. I think it would be silly not too restock with fuel, fresh food, when they had the chance. :D

Yes the ship can hold food for a very long time, but that doesn't stop them taking on fresh supplies at each port along the way.:D

So just how much food and for how long can they hold it?

Its my understanding that all the food is shipped out in containers from the States , except for a few local fresh products . Even then suppliers have to meet International codes re health etc before it can be accepted on board .

Americans take their food with them all round the world.

Its my understanding that all the food is shipped out in containers from the States , except for a few local fresh products . Even then suppliers have to meet International codes re health etc before it can be accepted on board .

So fresh food is taken on board, along with the food in those containers from the US at selected ports. I would think that Sydney may be one of those ports.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Sea Princess on her way in yesterday

Fullscreen%2520capture%252004102014%2520181020.jpg

Fullscreen%2520capture%252004102014%2520181227.jpg

Fullscreen%2520capture%252004102014%2520181240.jpg

Great shots of her coming in at twilight.

She is docked at White Bay . They have put her back a bit from the usual so there is room for another ship in front of her. It also gives us a view of the terminal area at White Bay.

5sea_zpsb6c8348e.jpg

Thanks for all the shots as she came in and also the white bay shot.

:D

Yes, I did say, 'I imagine that they would have to do a restock of provisions etc' which still holds true I still imagine they would do this to some degree. I think it would be silly not too restock with fuel, fresh food, when they had the chance. :D

There's a difference between having to do something, and choosing to do something.

They may for convenience, but doesn't mean they "have to." :D

Yes, by far most of the produce - even things that are typically fresh ashore - are brought onboard long life and containerised. But where fresh is available and meets requirements they include it.

However, they weren't planning to visit in Sydney, and supplies orders need to be made months out to ensure delivery and logistics. It'd be very unlikely to add an order in Sydney given it is already arranged for Brisbane.

Yes, by far most of the produce - even things that are typically fresh ashore - are brought onboard long life and containerised. But where fresh is available and meets requirements they include it.

However, they weren't planning to visit in Sydney, and supplies orders need to be made months out to ensure delivery and logistics. It'd be very unlikely to add an order in Sydney given it is already arranged for Brisbane.

Thats very true. One port that they use a lot when doing the Au/NZ run is Tauranga. Its the last port of call from Sy/Ak and the first from Ak /Syd. That gives them 2 days , with a day in between , to take on supplies and stow them away. Many ships arriving at the wharf have several refrigerarted containers waiting for them on the dock.

With communications and transport nowadays things can be redirected.

They had have had 5 days for the ship to get to Sydney from Freo, as well as the week and a half it was in dry dock, that would have been ample time to get containers from Brisbane if needed.

Edited by MicCanberra

And given it wasn't needed, and that it's costly and complicated to redirect things (since they are not going to be all in a single consignment as well), there doesn't appear any basis for redirecting them from Brisbane to Sydney.