I work on 'independence of the seas'!

NCL tends to have 4 mess halls: officers', staff, and 2 crew messes. Officers' mess has a buffet, but also a menu to order off of. The two crew messes are free for all crew to dine in either, but as I stated, they generally serve different cuisines.

'

Staff mess is a buffet, used by concessionaires, one stripe supervisors, and engineering officers who don't want to get out of coveralls and get into whites for meals.'

Chief,

I have a cousin, who retired from the Navy after almost 40 years as a Senior Chief and heard him refer too the above as the 'Dirty shirt mess' ? I bet those higher ups, spit an polish naval office types must have HATED that term !;p But my cousin said it was a term usually used in regards to the casual naval aviator mess. So, I'm not sure if it was a common term, fleet wide. Or, he MIGHT have just been pulling our leg about it ? He was always a family jokester.

Mac

'

Staff mess is a buffet, used by concessionaires, one stripe supervisors, and engineering officers who don't want to get out of coveralls and get into whites for meals.'

Chief,

I have a cousin, who retired from the Navy after almost 40 years as a Senior Chief and heard him refer too the above as the 'Dirty shirt mess' ? I bet those higher ups, spit an polish naval office types must have HATED that term !;p But my cousin said it was a term usually used in regards to the casual naval aviator mess. So, I'm not sure if it was a common term, fleet wide. Or, he MIGHT have just been pulling our leg about it ? He was always a family jokester.

Mac

I think the "official" term is "duty mess", but "dirty shirt mess" is close and descriptive, so most likely a common usage. And, no, the officer's would far prefer that those on duty don't waste time getting cleaned up for meals, just to have to change back after the meal, and also don't want to see you in your working clothes in the officers' mess. But the airdales have always been partial to their flight gear, so that's where they usually would end up. If you're in whites or khakis all day it's one thing, if you have to change into them just for a meal hour, it becomes a real pain, and a real time waster.

Can i ask what your getting by posting this on almost every group on the internet im a part of? Are you getting money per click on your blog, or are you just bored on your time off in liverpool and want to share your experiences and answer peoples questions?

Edited by leono1

Cant believe it took till page six for someone ask about how much your paid, it was almost the first question on one of the fb groups you posted on!!

After ive paid my taxes and costs of living i have less money per month to spend than yourself and im stuck in the rainy cold snowy! Uk on the daily grind,

Arent you worried that disclosing your remuneration package tax free with no bills to pay will bust the urban legend held by most on here that your paid 'peanuts'?

And you get to cruise and seeing the world cost of living free?

(Yes i am jealous :-D )

Love this posting. As a Loyal to Royal member I have had lots of conversations with crew members and they confirm your comments. I know how hard you all work to make our time on board special and do my best to recognize that. Thank you for all you all do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much! Us crew members really do appreciate it when you take the time out of your day to thank us.

Question for you, on the first / last day of a contact, when do you get on / off the ship? Are you expected to work that day? Thanks!

Great question!

Yes we will still work on both our first and last day of our contracts, but we will get some time off to go through the sign on/sign off process.

When we sign-on the ship, there is paperwork and other rituals that we have to do first - like moving into our cabin, receiving our name badge/ship ID, learning our safety drill routines. We won't start working until the evening.

When we sign off the ship, our manager will usually give us the evening off to pack - and go through the sign-off process. Again, a lot of paperwork is involved. At this point we will get our passports, medical, and other documentation given back to us - and we will return our ship ID.

My quesion is do the employees know that we have pre paid their tips? we always pre pay plus give a bit extra, and I sometimes worry that they may think the extra we put in the envelope is all we gave. Assuming they find out later, when they get paid, but I always feel the need to explain that we prepaid and that this is extra. I also worried once when I learned our room steward was leaving after our voyage that he might not receive his share of the pre paid tips.

My quesion is do the employees know that we have pre paid their tips? we always pre pay plus give a bit extra, and I sometimes worry that they may think the extra we put in the envelope is all we gave. Assuming they find out later, when they get paid, but I always feel the need to explain that we prepaid and that this is extra. I also worried once when I learned our room steward was leaving after our voyage that he might not receive his share of the pre paid tips.

Well, Chris isn't in the DSC pool (I refuse to call them tips). Generally, they don't know who pre-paid the DSC, but they will be told who reduced or removed the DSC, as this is considered to be a reflection of their service by the supervisors.

Can i ask what your getting by posting this on almost every group on the internet im a part of? Are you getting money per click on your blog, or are you just bored on your time off in liverpool and want to share your experiences and answer peoples questions?

I'm trying to see if there is an interest/audience for this topic, because I plan on building my entire website based around this type of content.

I need to know if people are interested in working on cruise ships.

I'm trying to see if there is an interest/audience for this topic, because I plan on building my entire website based around this type of content.

We appreciate your thread. I think that poster came off as a bit rude myself.

Your post and insight is greatly appreciated. :cool:

Cant believe it took till page six for someone ask about how much your paid, it was almost the first question on one of the fb groups you posted on!!

After ive paid my taxes and costs of living i have less money per month to spend than yourself and im stuck in the rainy cold snowy! Uk on the daily grind,

Arent you worried that disclosing your remuneration package tax free with no bills to pay will bust the urban legend held by most on here that your paid 'peanuts'?

And you get to cruise and seeing the world cost of living free?

(Yes i am jealous :-D )

I love this comment!

This is exactly the reason why I started my blog. A lot of people are under the impression that crew members are treated like slaves, and we are underpaid. When the reality is, this whole experience has been life-changing for me in a positive way. The relationships and friendships you make with people is so different to anything I had experienced before, and exploring the world together is so special. I want to get this point across.

From my own experience, when I was initially applying to work on cruise ships, I would have loved information like this - and there was nothing out there. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when starting this career. This opportunity is more than just a working holiday - and I hope to be able to influence other people who are thinking about working on ships.

I don't fully know how gratuities work, because shop-staff don't get tips.

Your cabin steward is probably aware that it's an extra tip for him/her only, and will really appreciate it.

On a recent cruise on Adventure our stateroom attendant ended his contract two days after our cruise began and got of the vessel in St. Kitts. This was probably rather a exception and had to do with post huricane logistical reasons. He still did part of th morning service and got off at around noon to catch his flight home and the other stateroom attendant took over thereafter, however he got on board already on turnaround day in San Juan.

Under certain circumstances, crew members can request to disembark in the middle of the cruise - and majority of the time, the cruise line will accommodate. Sometimes crew members may have to transfer to another ship, half way through their contract.

Chris thank you - this is so interesting! (Cheng your insights are always so fascinating, too!)

After a few cruises, my daughter is bound and determined to take a gap year after high school and spend a year working on a cruise ship, possibly as a dancer.

That said, how safe is working on a cruise ship for a young woman? I imagine the male to female ratio is not very balanced. Is it safe? Is there crime amongst crew?

When you have a couple hours off, are you ever allowed to be in guest areas, like the pool or solarium, or must you stick to crew areas?

Thanks!

'

Chief,

Mac

At times when we weren't working, I sometimes wore my own casual clothes in the staff-mess! It's totally fine.

Chris thank you - this is so interesting! (Cheng your insights are always so fascinating, too!)

After a few cruises, my daughter is bound and determined to take a gap year after high school and spend a year working on a cruise ship, possibly as a dancer.

That said, how safe is working on a cruise ship for a young woman? I imagine the male to female ratio is not very balanced. Is it safe? Is there crime amongst crew?

When you have a couple hours off, are you ever allowed to be in guest areas, like the pool or solarium, or must you stick to crew areas?

Thanks!

This will be from my experience. There are generally more men than women, but not as unbalanced as you would think. Safety for a woman, from other crew is fine, anything reported gets investigated by Security, and would result in dismissal, and possible referral to local authorities. Safety in port, is the same as for the passengers. There is very little crime amongst the crew, as they all live together and know everything that goes on. They self-police. Now, whether you daughter would feel safe living in a tiny cabin with 3 complete strangers, that is a different question.

Some cruise lines hire production companies to provide the show staff, so she might not end up working for the cruise line, but much like Chris, work for a third party.

Access to guest areas is by strict hierarchy. Probably 90% of crew are not allowed in guest areas except for work. Some positions can get permission to eat in guest restaurants from their department heads, but this is on a limited basis, more being allowed the higher the position. Concessionaires like Chris can get more freedom than a lot of crew, but it depends on the cruise line and their contract with the third party. Access to pools and Solarium are even more strictly regulated. Some entertainers, headliners, magicians, etc., are granted "passenger status", and generally live in passenger cabins and have free access to guest areas. I believe the dancers may be granted some access, but again, it depends on the line.

She will not be cruising, she will be working.

Chris, thank you so much for your open and honest insight to working on a cruise ship! I happened across this thread and have been riveted to it. I've also been to your blog and have read almost all of it...very well done!

I applaud you for taking this big leap of faith. Good for you! You are only young once and what a grand opportunity. Your attitude is so upbeat and positive and I know whatever you decide to do with your life, you will be successful at it.

When I was young (quite a few years ago), I decided to do a work/travel adventure, but I did it on my on starting with working in the Grand Canyon and then working in the Florida Keys. It was some of the best experiences I had in life. I met so many wonderful people and got to experience some incredible adventures.

Thanks again and I will be following your blog and this thread! Keep us posted if you decide to sign on for another contract.

I do have a question....do you have to launder your own uniforms and where do you do your personal laundry??

CB

Thanks!

This is fantastic! Your daughter will have a great time as a dancer on ships. I started working on ships right after I finished university.

You don't have to worry about crime or safety when you are on the ship. At the end of the day, crew member will look out for one another. The social life is amazing.

Yes, a huge perk of working on ships is being able to enjoy the guests areas. I personally love eating in the restaurants, and working out in the gym.

Chris, thank you so much for your open and honest insight to working on a cruise ship! I happened across this thread and have been riveted to it. I've also been to your blog and have read almost all of it...very well done!

I applaud you for taking this big leap of faith. Good for you! You are only young once and what a grand opportunity. Your attitude is so upbeat and positive and I know whatever you decide to do with your life, you will be successful at it.

When I was young (quite a few years ago), I decided to do a work/travel adventure, but I did it on my on starting with working in the Grand Canyon and then working in the Florida Keys. It was some of the best experiences I had in life. I met so many wonderful people and got to experience some incredible adventures.

Thanks again and I will be following your blog and this thread! Keep us posted if you decide to sign on for another contract.

I do have a question....do you have to launder your own uniforms and where do you do your personal laundry??

CB

Your experience working in the Grand Canyon and Florida Keys sounds awesome! I love both of those places. I would love to hear more about your experience!

I'm glad you like my blog. My website is still pretty new, so I'm trying to improve it everyday - and will be putting up new content frequently. I appreciate your positive attitude as well. This opportunity really has been pretty special.

We have 'crew laundry' on the ship, but it's not as chaos as you might think. It's basically a facility with a bunch of washers and dryers. Majority of the time, you will find a free machine to do laundry. But, there may be times you will have to wait for a machine to free up as well. We can actually choose to launder our own uniform, or pay/tip to have it done for us.