Buying a watch on Celebrity or ashore in Japan?

Kingofcool1947

We will be on the Celebrity Millennium for a 15 day cruise to Japan.

I’d like to buy a nice dress watch. Citizen Eco or Seiko?

How are the prices onboard vs. going ashore in Japan and buying one? Pros/cons?

Thanks.

Do you know what you're looking for? Are you looking for something unique? How much are you willing to spend?

IMHO, this is a good deal in two circumstances: 1) you're looking at something relatively inexpensive (<$500) and you're buying the experience of getting it in its homeland or 2) you're looking at something that's JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) only, in which case you can't easily get it in the US (or would have to order it from a Japanese retailer).

I've not seen much in the way of decent Seiko watches on any cruise ship (Seiko makes some very nice watches. Grand Seiko is as good as anything Swiss). They frequently have an Eco-Drive selection, but you can probably beat the price in the States.

So, if you're thinking of the latest impossible to find Seiko Presage or a Grand Seiko "Snowflake" dial, once you've convinced yourself you can't get it in the US, and know the price in the US, then shop away. Or if the first condition above applies, make sure you know what you want, and figure you're within $25-50 one way or the other of what you'd pay here (the watches onboard are probably more likely to be last year's, or two years ago's model). Check both company's web pages! Seiko may or may not list some of their nicer watches; they tend not to. Google "Long Island Watch" and look at their offerings (most will be mechanical) for completeness.

I've been able to beat the ship prices by miles on watches here in the US. I have no idea about Japan but since nearly everything there is expensive I doubt the prices will be any cheaper there either. There are a couple of very large online watch retailers that usually beat the pants off most other sellers. You can get an Eco-drive starting at about $100 online, most are under $300.

Do you know what you're looking for? Are you looking for something unique? How much are you willing to spend?

IMHO, this is a good deal in two circumstances: 1) you're looking at something relatively inexpensive (<$500) and you're buying the experience of getting it in its homeland or 2) you're looking at something that's JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) only, in which case you can't easily get it in the US (or would have to order it from a Japanese retailer).

I've not seen much in the way of decent Seiko watches on any cruise ship (Seiko makes some very nice watches. Grand Seiko is as good as anything Swiss). They frequently have an Eco-Drive selection, but you can probably beat the price in the States.

So, if you're thinking of the latest impossible to find Seiko Presage or a Grand Seiko "Snowflake" dial, once you've convinced yourself you can't get it in the US, and know the price in the US, then shop away. Or if the first condition above applies, make sure you know what you want, and figure you're within $25-50 one way or the other of what you'd pay here (the watches onboard are probably more likely to be last year's, or two years ago's model). Check both company's web pages! Seiko may or may not list some of their nicer watches; they tend not to. Google "Long Island Watch" and look at their offerings (most will be mechanical) for completeness.

markeb,

Thank you for your very nformative reply.

I have a budget of $500 or less.

Thinking of Citizen Eco because it’s solar powered. That’s a plus for me. Plus large numerals (legally blind in one eye). :(

Watch does not have to be of unique design or style. I am not a watch collector.

JDM? Not sure. Does that make a difference in quality of movement? Are rhey repairable outside of Japan? Are they sold aboard ship, or only ashore in Japan stores?

So Citizen and Seiko offered on cruise ship may,or are models one to two years old?:eek:

Before our cruise, I will check on Amazon for prices models I like, I’ll take a few pics with my iPhone. So I can compare once on the cruise. I have short term memory issues. :mad:

Regards. :)

markeb,

Thank you for your very nformative reply.

I have a budget of $500 or less.

Thinking of Citizen Eco because it’s solar powered. That’s a plus for me. Plus large numerals (legally blind in one eye). :(

Watch does not have to be of unique design or style. I am not a watch collector.

JDM? Not sure. Does that make a difference in quality of movement? Is it repairable outside of Japan?

So Citizen and Seiko offered on cruise ship may,or are models one to two years old?:eek:

Before our cruise, I will check on Amazon for prices models I like, I’ll take a few pics with my iPhone. So I can compare once on the cruise. I have short term memory issues. :mad:

Regards. :)

Also check the online retailer I mentioned. Watches are their business. They currently have 55 Eco-Drives listed (choose "solar" for type of movement).

The JDM thing was to understand what you're looking for. JDM watches have historically been sought out by collectors (there are VERY serious collectors of Seiko watches in particular) because they're hard to get. I think the Citizen Eco-Drive is a very good watch for what you're looking for. They are affordable, very reliable, and have a lot of options. Get a good feel for what interests you and what a "good" price should be, then check on the cruise. And enjoy!

I've been able to beat the ship prices by miles on watches here in the US. I have no idea about Japan but since nearly everything there is expensive I doubt the prices will be any cheaper there either. There are a couple of very large online watch retailers that usually beat the pants off most other sellers. You can get an Eco-drive starting at about $100 online, most are under $300.

TFLG,

Thanks for your comments.

$100 for a Citizen Eco Drive? When I was on Princess a couple of months ago, I didn’t see any less than $300. I didn’t buy because I didn’t know then what was the retail prices in USA.

TFLG,

$100 for a Citizen Eco Drive? When I was on Princess a couple of months ago, I didn’t see any less than $300. I didn’t buy because I didn’t know then what was the retail prices in USA.

Bought a Citizen Eco on board 8 years ago. Gave the watch to my daughter, she wears it every day. No issues Great watch and no battery.

TFLG,

Google Jomas

My husband bought a Tag Watch on our last cruise and saved about £300 from what it would have cost at home in UK.

Yes. The Caribbean in particular can be a good deal for Europeans; not so Americans.

TFLG,

My DH bought a very nice Citizen Eco Drive watch on the Reflection a few weeks ago. It was $126.00. Good way to use up OBC.

Thanks.

With the recent exchange rates I would recommend buying in the USA. If you must buy in Japan shop in a shop where you don’t have to pay VAT tax. Surprisingly the airport is tax free and has great prices. I know that Narita Airport has a nice watch shop before you go through security.

Markeb the Tag was bought on the Celebrity Millennium whisk cruising in Asia. Even though the UK pound is weak against the dollar it was still a good buy.

Good to hear, and not surprising. Even the duty free prices in the UK are typically well above US retail (and certainly well above any US "true" price)!

I have seen a couple of Citizen Eco Drive Signature Collection watches on board. These are superb quality watches at this price point. The prices on board were significantly less than standard UK high street prices but higher than you can pay through a jeweler with whom you can negotiate a discount. My watch retailed for about £550 in the UK. I saw it on board for about £450 (converted from US$) - I paid £370 for mine through a local jeweler who my parents seem to keep in business these days :-)

Currently wearing a Citizen eco satellite as I type. Bought it on Equinox last summer for $700 ish. Super watch, especially for folks like me who cross numerous time zones and are exact time obsessed. Love it and don’t care if I could have saved a few bucks at home. I buy a watch on every cruise. This was the most expensive ever. As a watch "wh0re", I enjoy the hunt and the memories each time piece represents.

Be careful in buying watches on some cruise lines; here is a story from an NCL cruise we took. About 3 months prior to boarding some 2 years ago I purchased an Invicta brand watch on Amazon for $129 shipped...plus a 2 year guarantee. On the ship they were having a "huge watch sale" and this very same watch I was wearing was on sale at $259 reduced from something like a $1,000 MSRP!!

Be careful in buying watches on some cruise lines; here is a story from an NCL cruise we took. About 3 months prior to boarding some 2 years ago I purchased an Invicta brand watch on Amazon for $129 shipped...plus a 2 year guarantee. On the ship they were having a "huge watch sale" and this very same watch I was wearing was on sale at $259 reduced from something like a $1,000 MSRP!!

Some of that is the cruise line but a lot of it is Invicta. They place ridiculously high MSRPs on their watches and every seller has them at 80-90% off. So people really think they are getting a steal when in fact they are just paying the normal going rate (or twice the going rate in your case).

I am another watch dork and have a large collection. I've never seen a price on a ship that I couldn't beat by a lot in the US from one of the large online watch retailers. But some people out there just love to buy stuff on the ship. It's all part of the cruise experience for them. I'd rather save a ton and buy 2 watches:D

Thanks.

Unless you're looking specifically to make the watch a souvenir from the trip, check out jomashopDOTcom. Large Display eco drives from $97.00 from what i just found while looking. I collect antique watches (mostly lord elgins, and some bulovas) but have bought a few new models over the past few years and can say that they stand by their products.